OL Upgrades

gbill2004

Consensus is that the Bombers biggest area in need of improvement, aside from QB is the offensive line.  The following are NI's who are currently free agents who I see as upgrades to our OL.  Your thoughts on where they'd fit in, and chances the Bombers could actually get them to sign:

Josh Bourke (Montreal)

Andrew Jones (Toronto)

Dimitri Tsoumpas (Calgary)

Scott Mitchell (Edmonton)

Steve Myddleton (BC)

I'd be very surprised if Bourke or Myddelton made it to free agency. Some people seem to think Tsoumpas will make it to free agency due to injury/concussion concerns... obviously he would be a big upgrade for us if we could sign him and he stays healthy. However he is an Edmonton guy and you have to believe they would make a real hard push to get him considering the state of their OL. So the chances of Tsoumpas ending up here seem slim as well.

I would rather try to re-sign Parenteau than sign Andrew Jones, but he could be good depth... I don't see him as an upgrade over any of our current starters, including Morley.

Mitchell could be worth a look but after being such a highly touted prospect, his career thus far can only be described as a huge disappointment. He's still young though so there could be some upside there.

Honestly I don't think free agency is going to help our OL one bit, unfortunately.

Re-signing Parenteau would definitely be nice, as he can play all 5 positions on the OL.  Maybe start him at Centre instead of Sorensen.  Would be nice if Pencer could take a big step forward this year.  I think a better OL coach, and a mobile QB will make our OL look much better.

And I agree, I don't think free agency will do much for our OL, which makes getting Patrick Neufeld last season so huge.  We will also get a good OL in this years Canadian draft. 

If you replace, Sorenson and Morley - January, Greaves and Jones are not a bad foundation at all...

Parenteau 'should' replace Sorenson out of the gate but his injury history is a bit of a concern, hopefully Pencer can step up at RG - I thought he was decent last year...

Neufeld and Swiston would be a bonus at RT, suppose we will keep Morley around as 6th due to his versatility...

Either way, I'm not seeing big changes on the OL...

The scouting reports on Pierre Lavertu are that he projects as a Centre and that he is "CFL-ready".  He may be an option at Centre midway through the season. 

I'm not really a first round OL guy...  you can still find OL talent later in the draft, other positions really drop off after the top one or two talents have been picked

If Thibault tests well, i would way rather pick him and insert him as starting safety asap...  we missed Edem, don't screw this one up.  Thibault, Robertson and Sherman would make for a nice camp.

Neufeld is essentially our 2nd round pick this year - I think we overpaid but we'll see... 

Hopefully Sabourin or Chin is still around in the 3rd... kind of doubt it though

There is no way we don't take an OL with our first pick in this years Canadian draft.

I'm perfectly happy with Neufeld as our 2nd rounder this year.

Never say never... we have holes to fill everywhere - some might be bigger than our OL needs...

Walters has already shown that he's big on testing scores...  if someone really stands out, we'll go for him

Does anyone know if Kruba is draft eligible?

There is no way we don't take an OL with our first pick in this years Canadian draft.

I'm perfectly happy with Neufeld as our 2nd rounder this year.

Never say never... we have holes to fill everywhere - some might be bigger than our OL needs...

Walters has already shown that he's big on testing scores... if someone really stands out, we'll go for him

Does anyone know if Kruba is draft eligible?

I guarantee we draft an OL.