Pat Steinberg MMQB: Bullish On Bombers

Noeller

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/08/07/steinbergs-mmqb-bombers-success-sustainable/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MmqbCflca+(CFL.ca-MMQB+)

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers are developing a bit of a reputation in 2017. After a 33-30 win over the Ottawa REDBLACKS on Friday night, the Bombers have played the role of buzzer beater comeback artists for two straight weeks. While they’ve pulled the last two out of the fire, Winnipeg is making a strong case not to be forgotten in the West Division.

Finish strong

While being down multiple possessions in the waning minutes of football games is not an ideal blueprint, you have to give the Bombers credit for sticking with it the last two weeks. Friday’s win over Ottawa saw Winnipeg make a couple big stops defensively while converting a couple of key first downs to set up three important Justin Medlock kicks. Medlock played an additional crucial role by booting a late kickoff through the end zone to scratch out an important single.

The week before it was quarterback Matt Nichols taking the Bombers on his back to stun the Montreal Alouettes. Nichols orchestrated two scoring drives in the final two minutes to turn a 40-28 shortfall into a stunning 41-40 win. Now Winnipeg sits 4-2 and needs to be considered a factor in the West.

RELATED:
» Medlock hits buzzer beater to top REDBLACKS
» The Long Read: The SJ Green story

» View 2017 league leaders

justin-medlock-2017-1-800x451.jpg

JUSTIN MEDLOCK CELEBRATES AFTER KICKING THE GAME-WINNING FIELD GOAL VS. OTTAWA (THE CANADIAN PRESS)

Yes, the Bombers have had to pull a few rabbits out of hats to pick up their last two wins and that definitely isn’t sustainable. But I’m not bullish on Winnipeg because of how heart-stopping their last two wins have been. Instead, there are some underlying traits shining through for me in a very positive way.

Yes, they’ve allowed too many points through six games; at 209, only Hamilton has allowed more than the Bombers have. However, I do think that number is a little misleading. Winnipeg has been involved in a couple shootout games and sometimes those can get away on a defensive unit, and I think this particular group is capable of noticeably bringing those numbers down.

This Bomber defence is strong against the run and it was generally up to snuff against the REDBLACKS, a pair of big plays not withstanding. That’s a strong sign and something Winnipeg can build on.

Against the pass the numbers haven’t been good and Trevor Harris was able to rack up some yardage against the Bombers on Friday night, especially in the first half. Again, though, Winnipeg’s numbers against the pass don’t strike me as signs of things to come.

The Bombers boast one of the strongest defensive backfields in the league and again lead the way in interceptions with nine; they led last year, too, with 30 picks. When you couple that with the way they’ve gotten after opposing quarterbacks, I think we’ll start seeing opposing passing numbers come down a bit.

Buy Week 8 TicketsJeremiah_Johnson_2017-800x451.jpg

» Thursday, 7:30 p.m. ET: Edmonton at Ottawa
» Friday, 7:30 p.m. ET: Toronto at Montreal
» Saturday, 7:30 p.m. ET: Winnipeg at Hamilton
» Sunday, 8:00 p.m. ET: BC at Saskatchewan

There are some good signs defensively right now: Winnipeg is top three in interceptions, forced fumbles, and sacks through the first six games. Offensively, Nichols has been accurate and poised in important situations while running back Andrew Harris is already up over 600 total yards.

Again, I’m not advocating for the Bombers to continue leaving it until the final minutes of games to dial it up. However, even though they’ve had to eek a couple out the last couple weeks, this Winnipeg group looks formidable. If the encouraging underlying traits outlined above translate positively, we could be talking about the Bombers starting to enter the same conversation as the three big boys in the West.

21 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Glad to see the Bombers starting to get noticed even if it's just by a sportscaster in Calgary on Sports Talk radio on The Fan 960.. I think Matt Nichols doesn't get the credit & respect he deserves. 

I think its starting to come around for Nichols too tho. people are changing their tunes slowly and begrudgingly.