E.R.I.K. Information

Tracker

A Manitoba Homegrown Patient Safety Initiative: The E.R.I.K.®
October 20, 2021
The Emergency Response Information Kit (E.R.I.K.) provides important medical information about you should first responders arrive at your home during an emergency. First developed by Manitoba paramedics and seniors resource coordinators, E.R.I.K. is now maintained by Support Services to Seniors at the Dakota Community Centre.

This bilingual kit is ideal for seniors, people living with chronic illnesses, those who live alone or who have caregivers, and others who have difficulty communicating. The “It’s Safe to Ask” Medication Card fits inside the E.R.I.K.  The E.R.I.K is available from local Senior Resource Council and from Fire and Paramedic Stations.  Call 1-800-665-6565 to find out the phone number of the Senior Resource Council nearest you.

The kits used to contain paper organ and tissue donor cards, but paper cards are no longer the best way to record your donation decisions. In E.R.I.K., you will find a signupforlife.ca card with contact information and details about how to register on Manitoba’s organ and tissue donor registry.

Tips for E.R.I.K. users
Keep E.R.I.K on your fridge
Take your “It’s Safe to Ask” medication card with you to medical and dental appointments
Return it to E.R.I.K. when you get home
Take a copy of E.R.I.K. with you:
when you travel
when you go to the hospital
In an emergency, paramedics will open the kit on your fridge and know:
What medications you take
If you have a Health Care Directive or Living Will