Sudden Changes at Newstalk AM 770

iso_55

I've heard that Mark Stephen has been taken off the air doing sports except for the Stamps game. Does that mean that he'll be let go when the season is over? Roger Kingcaide has been fired & Danielle Smith takes over the morning show by herself with Rob Breakenridge doing afternoons. Quite the turnover. The early morning guy Bruce Kenyon must just shake his head with all the changes he's seen over the years starting with the brutal termination of Dave Rutherford just a couple of months before he was to retire.

WTH, I deleted this when I realized I posted this here accidentally immediately yesterday. How the hell was it put up again? This was supposed to be on CFL Horsemen. This has no relevance here & my bad. I swear I have no idea how this site functions sometimes with all the glitches it has.

Edited by iso_55

Well again, my apologies for that. When I realized what I did I actually didn't delete. I edited. I changed the name of the thread to "Deleted". Then to replace the initial message  I said something like "Sorry guys, my mistake." Anyway, the changes were made & I checked the thread & it had been changed. Now, it is back. So I don't get it. Anyway, whatever so carry on.

just as an aside, Newstalk  AM 770 is the Stamps radio broadcaster. Mark Stephen has been the pbp voice of the Stamps for almost 20 years, did his sportscasts in the afternoon, had a sports talk show in the evenings & was Sports Director at AM 770. He was fired this week & has been removed from his on air duties. He still is the voice of the Stamps for now. I wouldn't be surprised if he is replaced when the season is over. He often said that being the pbp voice of the Stamps was his dream job growing up in Calgary. He does a great job so if it ends in his late 40's or early 50's for him that is sad.

Edited by iso_55

9 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Never mind the mistake, answer the question.  Is that the same "Danielle Smith" who bolted from the Wild Rose?  At least she found a job.

yes, same lady...

51 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Never mind the mistake, answer the question.  Is that the same "Danielle Smith" who bolted from the Wild Rose?  At least she found a job.

Yes, the same. She used to have a news show on Global 10 years ago so before she was a politician she was in the media.

I don't know enough about why it happened. There is a message board for radio types that I troll a bit, but don't post...there hasn't been much on there about it. If there's one thing I know about major markets like Calgary, it's that there is no job security. All it takes is one bad ratings book, and you're gone. You look at the changes the Rock stations undergo.....Gerry Forbes is the only guy who ever lasts, between CJAY and that Classic Rock one...what the hell is it....Oh! Q107.....yeah.....Bruce Kenyon and those guys. Constant swapping of "talent". It terrifies the **** outta me....I want no part of a major market, regardless of the potential money.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I don't know enough about why it happened. There is a message board for radio types that I troll a bit, but don't post...there hasn't been much on there about it. If there's one thing I know about major markets like Calgary, it's that there is no job security. All it takes is one bad ratings book, and you're gone. You look at the changes the Rock stations undergo.....Gerry Forbes is the only guy who ever lasts, between CJAY and that Classic Rock one...what the hell is it....Oh! Q107.....yeah.....Bruce Kenyon and those guys. Constant swapping of "talent". It terrifies the **** outta me....I want no part of a major market, regardless of the potential money.

Do you like living in a smaller town or do you miss a city the size of Winnipeg? When I heard Stephens had been fired, I was shocked. That's like CJOB firing Bob Irving. Just thought Mark was one of those guys who would never be fired.

36 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Do you like living in a smaller town or do you miss a city the size of Winnipeg? When I heard Stephens had been fired, I was shocked. That's like CJOB firing Bob Irving. Just thought Mark was one of those guys who would never be fired.

Brandon is the biggest place I've ever lived, so this is the right size of town for me. I'm in a good spot...30 mins from Red Deer, 45 from Calgary, 1.5 h from Edmonton. Would I like to work in Manitoba again? Absolutely. But I've resided myself to the fact that I'm not ever going to work in Winnipeg. And all the small town stations pay around minimum wage....so.....not likely in the cards. Luckily, out here, you might not make 6-figures in a small market (almost everyone in Calgary makes at least 100k, Forbes nearly 10x that...) but I can make a comfortable salary, job security, decent benefits...all that. 

I don't know enough about Calgary info station jocks...I know Mark Stephen as a Stamps voice, but that's it. Don't know anything else. I dated a girl from Country 105 when I first moved out here, so I'm quite close to some people within Corus Calgary/Edmonton, but don't know much about the 770 crew....