Around The NHL 2016/2017

30 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Biggest telling 'event' in the Trouba saga for me was when the Sun's Wiebe  Free Press' Wiecek tracked him down at the World Championships World Cup of Hockey- so he's not really in NHL mode at the time, keep it mind - and Weiber Wiecek got printable quotes from him on how little playing his offside mattered to him.  "not my favourite, but whatever helps the team" stuff....  'twas quite the far cry from the statement proclaiming Wpg to be holding back his career b/c Buff & Myers were ahead on the right side depth chart.

Sept.15, 2016  http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/trouba-talks-contract-expects-to-be-in-jets-lineup-opening-night-393553661.html

But don’t panic, Jets fans, because Trouba does not sound like a guy readying for an imminent holdout when I ask him the only question that really matters right now: Is there any doubt in his mind he will be in the Jets lineup when they open their regular season next month? "Not in my mind," Trouba told me here at Consol Energy Center Wednesday night following North America’s 3-2 loss to the Czech Republic in what was the final pre-tournament game for both teams at the World Cup of Hockey.

Here’s what Trouba had to say on the issue when I asked him about it Wednesday evening. "I want to have a bigger role," said Trouba. "I want to be a force — more productive offensively and defensively.

"I just want to be more involved and take my game to the next level."

And the whole right-side, left-side issue on a team in which both Byfuglien and Tyler Myers are also right-handed shots?

"I’ve played the right-side my whole life," said Trouba. "I’m obviously more comfortable there. But I understand you have to do what’s best for your team."

Sept.24, 2016  http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/09/24/trouba-asks-for-trade-from-jets

Kurt Overhardt, Trouba's agent, fired the first shot on Saturday night – making his first public statement in quite some time in the form of a press release.  It was pleasant and straightforward in nature, pointing out Trouba wasn't going to report to training camp and noting his client had asked for a trade in May.

“I didn't want it to get to this point,” Trouba said in a telephone interview on Saturday night. “I wanted to keep everything out of the media and keep it professional. Now that we're here, what it really comes down to for me is opportunity.”

Edited by Jimmy Pop
stupid World Cup of Hockey was stupid, & so am I.

Yup here's a good story about him:

https://www.nhl.com/jets/news/matteo-gennaro-finds-his-groove/c-287942142

Has some offensive upside.  Could be a solid 3LW.  Couple years with the Moose and who knows.  He's 20, would the thought be he'd be signed and play for the Moose this season or can he go back to the Hitmen?

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Any truth to the rumour going around twitter that's a Toby has agreed to waive his NMC?

Sure hope so.  I don't hate Toby but I honestly think Vegas wouldn't take him so this would be the best case scenario.

10 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Seems like a little much.  I'd just try to strongly persuade Toby to waive and then count on Vegas not taking him.

Ideally yes.  Problem is, if you're Toby, there is not a 100% guarantee Vegas wont pick you.  Knowing the Jets, I cant see them framing a discussion as "we dont want you".   But offering him an extension might entice him. 

Now I get it 

The Vegas Golden Knights and Chicago Blackhawks could be working out a deal ahead of the expansion draft in June.

TSN Senior Hockey Reporter Frank Seravalli reports the Blackhawks could allow the Golden Knights to select Trevor van Riemsdyk in the expansion draft, on the condition Vegas also takes forward Marcus Kruger in a trade. 

Edited by The Unknown Poster

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Are they allowed to sign free agents already?

They've technically been able to do so since the Mar. 1st trade deadline, IIRC. Their first actual player signing was on Mar. 6th: https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/golden-knights-nhl/golden-knights-make-first-ever-player-transaction/

The Golden Knights made history Monday with their first-ever player transaction when they signed Duke, a junior free agent center, to a three-year entry level contract.