Around The NHL 2016/2017

35 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Claude Julien might be a really good coach but the talk I heard on the radio was he was reluctant to play the young players.  So not the right fit for Winnipeg. 

Im leaning more towards a house-cleaning this summer.  Chevy fires everyone.

Hitchcock for 3 years then if he still is able to do it?

4 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Gallant is old school and Yeo isn't any better than what we have.

We'll see about that.  The more Maurice talks, the less I like him.  He reminds me of me when I dont get a project completed on time and my boss asks me about it.  He leaves thinking Im the smartest guy in the company and I sit back knowing I have an extra week to get things done...and immediately start surfing MBB.

Just now, Ducky said:

He is by far the best available coach out there and if Vegas or the Isles had any brains, they'd have him signed long term by the end of the week.

You can add Florida to that list and also teams like Vancouver, Dallas, Colorado and Detroit, yes i know they all have coaches but all will probably miss the playoffs and he would be an upgrade on what they have. 

You'd have to pay him a ton since he gets $3 million to sit at home next year.  Whats the process when that happens and a guy gets signed?  Bruins would make him an offer to release him early for less money?  Sure he wouldnt forgo the entire $3m.

But I agree, you cant not try to get a coach that good.  Hitch similarly but he's older. 

I'd think Vegas would have a good shot because they will probably spend more than anyone else.  Question is, will Julien like a team that he has years and years until winning or the opportunity to cement his legacy by taking a ragtag group of misfits on the adventure of a lifetime?

The pessimist in me says Jets will always go for the average coach who costs the average money.  But Chipman might see it differently.  If you signed a $3m coach and made the playoffs every year, you make that back and more.   Maurice might be cheaper but he's proven to be a coach that cant motivate and cant get the most out of his players.

He'll probably be signed before the summer....take a buyout on his contract and sign a juicy new one. Florida would probably be a good fit for him player-wise but not sure the management and him would jive.

If the Jets replace the coaching staff this summer I hope the new coach is allowed to pick ALL assistants. Dineen, MacLean or Arneil might be worth a look but by all reports like Lawless and Dreger, Maurice is getting extended this summer.

Edited by Ducky

2 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Does the loss to COL feel better knowing that MTL lost 4-0 to them with Price in net?

Not really. The Jets were horrible and didn't show up at all. Losing is one thing but losing without even trying is something entirely different.

Martin Havlat has announced his retirement after putting up 594 points in 790 NHL games over 14 seasons.

Nicknamed "Mach 9" for his skating prowess, Havlat played for the Ottawa Senators, Chicago Blackhawks, Minnesota Wild, San Jose Sharks, New Jersey Devils and St. Louis Blues. The 35-year-old announced his retirement on Wednesday through the NHL Players' Association.

Havlat most recently played two games for the Blues last season before leaving the team for personal reasons. He said his body won't let him play up to his standards anymore.

RIP Martin

http://www.tsn.ca/bennet-omalu-gets-involved-in-nhl-concussion-lawsuit-1.667427?cid=trueAnthem&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=589c5c1904d30174e5524cbc&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Dr. Bennet Omalu, the neuropathologist whose story was depicted in the movie Concussion, put himself in the midst of the NHL concussion lawsuit on Wednesday.

Dr. Omalu made international headlines after he performed an autopsy in 2002 on former Pittsburgh Steelers player Mike Webster. After examining Webster’s brain, Dr. Omalu diagnosed him with chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE. Webster was the first former NFL player diagnosed with the disease and Dr. Omalu published his CTE findings in 2005 in the medical journal Neurosurgery.

In recent weeks, the NHL has filed documents in court revealing that it has hired Dr. Rudy Castellani, a neuropathologist and director of the Western Michigan University Center for Neuropathology, as a medical expert. Dr. Castellani denies that CTE exists and has challenged Dr. Omalu’s findings on Webster.

The NHL, Dr. Omalu wrote, is doing exactly what the National Football League and New York Boxing Commission did in the past in relation to the science on traumatic brain injuries.

“In spite of this long history of very well-established science and common knowledge, sports organizations and leagues that govern high-impact, high-contact sports in the United States like boxing, American football and ice hockey have historically misappropriated, denied, undermined and dismissed this science in order to protect and expand their brand equity, financial health and market share,” Dr. Omalu wrote.

“In other words, they deny the truth and humanity of science in order to protect their revenue streams.”

This is the great shame of the NHL right now - the denial of CTE and brain injury.  I realise they want to win a lawsuit but its a sickening lack of empathy.  The NFL players won a lawsuit because it was shown the league knew of the dangers and hid that from players.  Im of the mind that players in the 70's, 80's etc cant pin that on the NHL as no one knew.

But any player today who goes on to suffer CTE could win a lawsuit.  The NHL is handing this to the players (down the road) on a silver platter.

27 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

This is the great shame of the NHL right now - the denial of CTE and brain injury.  I realise they want to win a lawsuit but its a sickening lack of empathy.  The NFL players won a lawsuit because it was shown the league knew of the dangers and hid that from players.  Im of the mind that players in the 70's, 80's etc cant pin that on the NHL as no one knew.

But any player today who goes on to suffer CTE could win a lawsuit.  The NHL is handing this to the players (down the road) on a silver platter.

The emergence of the CTE science to a point where it's allowed the players to take the leagues to court, couldn't have come at a better time for the NFL.

They're rich, making heaps of money. They have a guaranteed income streams for the next ten years. It's still the top league in the US, with lots of interest.

The NFL was able to afford the repercussions of the settlement far more than the NHL will be able to. The NHL already teeters financially with lots of struggling franchises.

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

The emergence of the CTE science to a point where it's allowed the players to take the leagues to court, couldn't have come at a better time for the NFL.

They're rich, making heaps of money. They have a guaranteed income streams for the next ten years. It's still the top league in the US, with lots of interest.

The NFL was able to afford the repercussions of the settlement far more than the NHL will be able to. The NHL already teeters financially with lots of struggling franchises.

My point is, the NFL actually hid the information from players.  There is no evidence the NHL did.  The NHL cant be responsible for players in the 70's and 80's suffering CTE when no one knew what that is.  Thats just a greedy cash grab.  But the NHL is NOW showing ignorance.  And they're going to lose.  Maybe they're just trying to drive the settlement down.