Main Camp

Floyd

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

The thing we don't know, based on tweets alone, is if Willy's throwing poorly, or if receivers are running wrong routes, or what. I suppose, though, it shows the offense is not in sync yet, and that may be troubling.....

meh, new system not even one full week of practice. If they aren't in sync going into week 3 then I'll be worried.

13 minutes ago, Noeller said:

The thing we don't know, based on tweets alone, is if Willy's throwing poorly, or if receivers are running wrong routes, or what. I suppose, though, it shows the offense is not in sync yet, and that may be troubling.....

That quite true. They might have been installing a whole pile of new plays to the system and things are not really working out.  There's a lot of new parts in this offence so we might just have to put up with some miscues for now. They will probably go vanilla in the first while and still be effective.

Sorry Bigblue while you were posting I was writing. I keep doing that to you.

Edited by LeBird
overlap

1 hour ago, Noeller said:
So I just woke up not that long ago, am only on my first cup of coffee, and I saw this: 

Rush end Trent Corney, #Bombers top 2016 draft pick, just broke Stanley Bryant's ankles with a speed move off the edge. #hyperbole #noinjury

Had to read it a couple times, 'cause my heart skipped a beat......holy hell....

I can attest to this..... I was watching the WR's and turned my head just in time to see Corney DESTROY, Bryant!! I had to dbl check to make sure I read 66 correctly. You should have heard that DL and DL Coach, they were on fire man. Later on Bryant gave him a tap on the helmet. AWESOME!

13 minutes ago, MinisterOfD5 said:

I can attest to this..... I was watching the WR's and turned my head just in time to see Corney DESTROY, Bryant!! I had to dbl check to make sure I read 66 correctly. You should have heard that DL and DL Coach, they were on fire man. Later on Bryant gave him a tap on the helmet. AWESOME!

When was the last time we had a super athletic rush end? and a Nat at that. 

42 minutes ago, LeBird said:

That quite true. They might have been installing a whole pile of new plays to the system and things are not really working out.  There's a lot of new parts in this offence so we might just have to put up with some miscues for now. They will probably go vanilla in the first while and still be effective.

Sorry Bigblue while you were posting I was writing. I keep doing that to you.

That's alright....we are well used to vanilla on offense, round these parts........

Only stayed for early practice, got a little wet outside and am made of sugar.

First things first, guys I am actually excited to say that Richards is going to be okay! He was all over the field today and he looked faster today then yesterday. Took some contact and held on the ball a few times. This guy will be able to stretch the field for sure if he has a chance this year. He had 2 really solid box outs on some DB's today and Willy found him often.

Gerrard Sheppard was back practicing, not a huge deal but made a nice grab so note worthy.

Not a lot of guys going to catch R Smith if he sees green he's gone! (I would be too if I came from Saskabush)

Darvin Adams and Bruce Johnson chirping a fair amount on 1 on 1's, all it fun it seemed but Adams burned him 3 times with ease. Adams also played in the slot for one of the team scrimmages, and he looked super comfortable there. Really big target in the middle, easy for Drew to find with a tall DL barring down on him

Now as per request I watched a lot of the D today and the best thing to report Noeller already pointed out, Corney stole Bryants lunch and then hung him from the flag pole. Sick Move! 

Another play worth noting was big Louie Richardson busting the oline and wrapping up Harris for about a  5 yd loss. The D sideline loved it and so did the fans, everyone around me enjoyed that play! The great thing about this play was that had Richardson not tagged Harris, Teague would have, he was right beside him. They talked about it after on the sideline.

Anderson may be gone from the interior but enter The Butcher, he was dbl teamed whenever on the field and at least one time that I saw, triple teamed. He has a lot of push in those legs and will presumably spell Shologan/Cummings/Thomas during the games. Fun to watch, wish you could have been there (yeah, I'm an ass)

Not other notables from today from the Dline, they are a really strong group though

Teague was also very vocal today, shifting guys where they needed to be calling out plays/formations, coaching guys on the sideline. 

Loffler played some coverage on some 1 on 1's, now I don't know what they are necessarily looking for in this drill but he should definitely stick to safety, got caught flat footed on a cpl dbl moves but he has pretty decent catch up speed.

Waggoner did well at coverage on 1 on 1's with RBs, other than that moved well in scrimmages, looks good on ST. Half the time I saw him on the sideline though, 22 wasn't called very often

Fogg had another solid day, really nice pass deflection on an out that was note worthy. He seems to be getting along with the vets well, they are always talking to Fogg or Posey and doesn't come off in a demeaning way, more encouraging and comrade-re. Posey also had a really good day, lot's of fire in him and he let everyone know it lol.

Willy through a couple of picks today but the 2 I saw was WR error. He is also throwing 50% of the balls so it's going to happen as he tries to find chemistry with his WR. Nichols overthrew a tonne again today and just looked bad. Davis on the other hand looked good, dropped a couple nice passes in stride. 

Mayo and Davis looked strong today, Velteung seemed to be stretching a lot, didn't run a lot of routes today and was receiving punts today, nor was McDuffie so I can't say much about that. Cone still looked like a cone, Vitt didn't get much play today and Bastien looked bad today.

RBs all look good, coaches are going to have a really tough time here.

That's all for me, and just remember guys this is just my opinion, I am definitely not a football coach ;)

5 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Assuming Bruce Johnson, Chris Randle and Johnny Adams take 3 secondary spots + the great performances thus far of Posey and Fogg + Bucknor + The pedigrees of Patrick and Green, anybody else wondering why we're wasting time with Macho Harris?

Not sure Johnson is a lock... but yeah, Macho is the new Lin-J Shell. Ugh.

Burnett at Safety/Backup SAM is better than Harris.

Great report, thanks MoD...

By the sounds of our competition at DB... I would guess Bruce Johnson is no lock to make the team...

I'm starting to get concerned we may only have Corney for 3 years... but what a 3 year stretch it should be... hopefully he'll remember the team that gave him his start when he returns to the CFL... :D

3 hours ago, BigBlue said:

I am surprisd I have not heard of any hamstring injuries yet. Hammys so often seem to be a plague in training camp....

could be because it hasnt been really hot and has been over cast / cooler then normal for this time of year. I dont think ive seen 30c here yet. Pulled hammys often happen with not being properly hydrated. Which is really hard to keep up during 2 a days.

28 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Great report, thanks MoD...

By the sounds of our competition at DB... I would guess Bruce Johnson is no lock to make the team...

I'm starting to get concerned we may only have Corney for 3 years... but what a 3 year stretch it should be... hopefully he'll remember the team that gave him his start when he returns to the CFL... :D

as long as he stays away from Henoc's agent, I would say our odds are good.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

as long as he stays away from Henoc's agent, I would say our odds are good.

ha!

Corney is still pretty raw, but he seems like he learns very quickly and is really hard working. Idk if he's  gonna be gone in 3 years but I could see him getting an nfl shot some time after that. 

10 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

ha!

Corney is still pretty raw, but he seems like he learns very quickly and is really hard working. Idk if he's  gonna be gone in 3 years but I could see him getting an nfl shot some time after that. 

If he leaves, by then we should have our Canadian cupboard better stocked and able to better absorb the loss.  As a group project how if we were to do the Labatte trick on him? Surely we have enough young and smart girls here. The is Manitoba after all!

so i got to be down on the turf today with the WHSFL league and a few other coaches

First off macho won me over today, was very vocal in getting guys in the right spot. Played with great depth and angles. Maybe Coach Hall is smarter than every guy on this board. The kid from UBC is going to be a good one. Dbs and wrs were great today

12 and 7 are on fire. 80 showed up big time today, 14 can play too. Like cone as well

Drew was way off today, threw his gloves off at one point

Love lapos concepts.

Back there tmr and sunday

Corney's training camp journal is a great read.  He's a pretty good writer and it's really interesting to read his self-evaluation and the hip flip technique he's trying to master. Also cool to see the DL who are competing for jobs helping each other out.  Must be a totally weird dynamic, you want to be a good team guy and help out the rookies, but those rookies are the guys who are maybe going to take your job.

and holy hell, just reading about Ian Wild's hamstring exercise and the one-armed pushup contest made me sore. And on top of two-a-days, Corney is lifting. These guys are freaks.

I was at camp again today. Agree with agree with MinisterofD5 that Richards looked much better today and has very good hands. He doesn't make sharp cuts, but I think that will come.

Darvin Adams for you detractors had a very good day, he may be close to being the fastest on the team, and seems to like the slot position.

Jace Davis didn't make it through the whole practice and I don't know if he even started as I was a little late. Ryan Smith also did not make it through the entire practice, but didn't seem to be limping noticeably so don't know what happened.

Alex Vitt also did not practice today.

Quincy McDuffie had another very good day.

I think Bastien is likely a goner.

Kevin Cone continues to play well, and Thomas Mayo got lots of reps and had a good practice. Julian Talley plays well every day, as does Kevin Cone.

Patrick Neufeld was back practicing.

Dressler has a very good day.

I thought Willy had not such a good day. He threw two interception but here I disagree with MinisterofD...they were not good throws, and he didn't do much better the rest of the practice...BUT...seen him do this before, but when he gets in the game that seems to mostly disappear.

I agree about Nichols, he overthrows his receivers alot.

Butcher on D looked very good, and I think Jake Thomas is going to have a very good year. 

Agree about Corney and also Richardson.

Fogg had another good day as did Jonte Green.

Lofler? I think he is fast enough to play safety...my son disagrees...but O'Shea says he likes his range. We will see.

That's about all I can remember folks.