Main Camp

Floyd

Just now, Noeller said:

Darvin Adams went down in a heap after making a nice grab...hasn't returned to the field since. 

I don't want to see anyone get hurt but at the same time, I wasn't that impressed with Darvin last season, yeah he had some big games, but man he went MIA for long periods of time and his hustle just didn't seem to be there when the ball wasn't heading his way. Honestly, i'm not sure if they consider him a lock to be a starter but personally I don't. I think he's easily replaceable by one of the many receivers they have in camp.

Dressler,Smith,Kohlert are the only guys I'd be willing to say are guaranteed starters in the receiving group. 

Went to Practice today...raining most of the time for the players, but didn't seem to hold them back at all.

We have a lot of really good looking receivers, which we couldn't say in previous years.

First...the latest receiver into camp #72 Lestar Jean...no thanks...tall but not fast, doesn't look nearly as athletic as most of the others, is not agressive enough and drops some.

Dressler and Smith? both look really good, especially Smith, great hands and movement, and a motor that doesn't quit.

Jace Davis and Justin Talley, both of them still look really good. To bad Sheppard is injured. Veltung also looked very good...Kohlert looks very good, Bastien not so much. 

Now for Richards...don't know if he is still nursing the injury...but he is slow off the line, and to me looks slow in general, and doesn't have an easy time getting open. He was fine on a couple of quick hitters but other than that...well...I think Vitt is better than him but we will see. Feoli-Guido made some nice catches but also dropped a couple of fpretty easy ones.

McDuffie...is a good find. He is very quick with really good lateral movement, and catches very well. Will be interesting to see him returning kicks.

As mentioned Adams got hurt on one play, Kevin Cone is way better than Lestar Jean in my opinion. 

We are going to have to make some tough cuts.

Andrew Harris looks fantastic, and gives it his all on every play. For me a toss up between Anderson and Flanders.

Medlock was attempting kicks from mid field, he was wide on one and short on two others, but not by much and in wet conditions. Teague Sherman was his holder.

Always easier for me to watch offence, but Euclid Cummings, and Nate Collins look really good. Justin Cole Also. Jake Thomas just breezed past the OL on one on ones. Butcher is one large man, and is obviously very strong and not particularly slow for a man his size. Westerman was Westerman no more needs to be said. It is not hard to tell that Corney really wants to learn, he is talking to the coach to get more instruction. Still impressed with Loffler, he may surprise a few people. I though Celiscar and Fogg has very good days. Bruce Johnson not so much.

There were probably others the coaches thought were good, but hard to track everyone.

Quarterbacks? They all had their moments, but for me and in more than one practice...Brian Bennett looks better than Dominique Davis. He moves better and has a better arm, trouble is that he is less experienced.

One thing is for sure...the QB's will have a lot more options on offence than the last few years. Now they just have to take advantage of them.

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

I saw a tweet that Pat Neufeld has been out the last couple days and I believe Johnny Adams (...or is it Johnny Patrick...?) as well. Other than that, sounds like a whole lotta teaching going on...

Neufeld may not be back before TC ends. Why bother with this guy? just cut our losses, release him & find someone else to play his position.

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I still think Neufeld is a pretty good OL when he's healthy, but it *seems* like he just can't stay healthy...

I agree. He's a pretty good player when Healthy but yup the problem is he's just never healthy. If he could stay healthy, he'd be very good. I think some people just don't like him because.... well, just because. He's a good player tho when healthy, no doubt about it. Not the best, but far from the worst that's for sure. 

41 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I wanna see him back at his natural spot at RT and see if he can 1) Stay healthy, and 2) Play as well as they think he can in that position...

He was at RT most of last year after Jace Daniels went down. Maybe 10 games?

Edited by TBURGESS
Davis to Daniels

Neufeld is a very good offensive linemen when healthy which seems to be not very often which also negates any real worth that he has to the Bombers hope they find another quality national through drafted or a trade so they can cut him loose.

1 hour ago, do or die said:

Thinking back to the good ole days, when Neufeld and Picard were going to turn our OL around........

Other than JJ and Willy (when healthy) ex Riders have been colossal flops for this franchise in recent years ...

wait a minute ... ;)

Edited by IC Khari

http://www.bluebombers.com/2016/06/01/196252/

Neufeld is close to returning, but Adams is uncertain for the first preseason game next week. In Neufeld’s absence, former B.C. Lion/Saskatchewan Roughrider Jermarcus Hardrick has been taking a lot of reps with the No. 1 offence at right tackle.

Receiver Gerrard Sheppard and LB Kyle Knox, two newcomers trying to make an impression, are both close to returning to work. The bumps and bruises that have kept Knox from practicing has taken away some of the momentum he had gathered with an impressive rookie camp last week.

“Kyle Knox is right there around the corner ready to go,” said O’Shea. “He’s an exciting player we want to get out there and another of those guys playing linebacker that we think can play for us.”

I'm not worried anymore about Neufeld. When he plays, he will do well. He's at that point. If he doesn't play, I think the Bombers have brought in players whom they believe will be capable of playing O positions . And they covered their bases in the ratio, by deepening the National depth to a point where one or two injuries will not affect the caliber of starters. That's important, and one of the reasons, I believe, why we've used 8 Nat. starters instead of 7. They are preparing the roster for multiple variations and continued freshness in the lineup. Hurl, Waggoner, Briggs, Jones, Bucknor, Sherman, Morgan, Corney, etc. Piece by piece step by step, closer and closer...(borrowed from "slowly I turned")

Was happy to see Neufeld finally moved to RT - he's a terrible guard - but relying on an injury prone OL as part of the ratio is tricky.

I'm not as sold on our National depth...  Depth at DL is solid, Cdn DB looks good but still unproven, LB depth total question mark, REC depth looks average

Walters had a great draft this year and a great FA... now he needs Loffler, Waggoner and Richards to step up... 

11 hours ago, Goalie said:

I agree. He's a pretty good player when Healthy but yup the problem is he's just never healthy. If he could stay healthy, he'd be very good. I think some people just don't like him because.... well, just because. He's a good player tho when healthy, no doubt about it. Not the best, but far from the worst that's for sure. 

The Bombers will never improve at that position as Neufeld is always hurt so with him there the OL is spinning its wheels. Time to cut the loss & release him. Move on. They probably should have done it this past off season.  Doesn't matter how good he is, if he doesn't play he isn't helping us.

Edited by iso_55