general trade thread to spit ball ideas

Ducky

Definitely the possibility is there to make something happen with Anaheim.   They have almost enough cap space now to sign him but haven't.  So that still tells you something.  If they can bring in Trouba and sign him, it certainly helps their "win now" mentality and keeps them young.  Jets likely have to take back a salary to help Ducks out but Jets can afford to...

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎07 at 8:15 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

I had a dream last night that the Jets traded Trouba to Buffalo in something like a 12-14 player trade.  Oddly, it seemed they ended up with Krug so maybe it was a three team deal.  But leaving Winnipeg was Trouba, Lemieux, Armia, a minor league goalie who's name I cant remember (Phillips?) and I think Burmi for a package that included almost no one I had heard of.  And everyone was angry.  Then I woke up mad.

Reports before this weekend suggest Anaheim and Lindholm are really close to an agreement. Talking hundred thousand apart, not a million.

18 minutes ago, JCon said:

Reports before this weekend suggest Anaheim and Lindholm are really close to an agreement. Talking hundred thousand apart, not a million.

Darren Dreger had said on the radio last week that Lindholm was asking a ridiculous price and that it seemed that they were way off.

The $100,000 thing seems off to me.  I heard it too.  But I mean, you need all hands on deck and you're twiddling your thumbs over $100,000?  They're much closer to cap allowance now and still havent closed this deal. 

On the flip side, if they are really close but cant execute the deal due to their cap, that means the Ducks are basically icing Lindholm out and costing him money because they choose not to sign an agreed upon deal because they cant fit it under the cap.  That wouldnt seem to sit well.

Then again, Lindholm knows the cap situation.  if he wants to play there, he has to try and make it work.  if he asks for an unreasonable number, he knows the Ducks cant do it and thats akin to asking for a trade.  But...Lindholm is an easy offer sheet.  Im surprised no one has tried it.  Ducks would have to scramble to match.  But I guess not a lot of teams have need, cap and draft picks to do an offer sheet.  Winnipeg does but they wouldnt do that.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Darren Dreger had said on the radio last week that Lindholm was asking a ridiculous price and that it seemed that they were way off.

Yeah, I can't even remember who said it and whether it was Friday or Saturday on H&L.

"They" said Anaheim was at $5.2-3 AAV and Lindhom's camp was at $5.4. 

Now that it's been several days and Anaheim resolved of their problem, you would think the deal would be sealed.

I guess we'll see.

21 minutes ago, Ducky said:

sorry they don't pay a cent but the salary cap is charged $30,000 a day for any restricted free agent that is not signed.

15 minutes ago, Ducky said:

5.4 m a year...

Do you have a link for where this is explained / documented?  Never heard of this before.  This would put huge amounts of pressure on NHL clubs to sign an RFA prior to December 1 if they don't have the cap space.  $5.4M would be a crazy big cap hit.

Bob Mckenzie explained it. Bottom line with Lindholm is the ducks don't have the cap space until they make a trade. That's the holdup... they only have 5.4 in space cuz they put depres on ltir but guess what. .. he won't be there for long and there's some talk that he shouldn't even be there now so let's pretend Lindholm gets 5.4 (probably wants more tho ) ducks have 5.4 in space but then depres comes back... uh oh... over the cap. They can't sign Lindholm until he is moved out... plus the 30000 cap space a day? U sure it's not week but regardless adds up. .. they don't have the cap space 

Edited by Goalie

@ReindeerGames91 $30K a day if he signs $5.5M AAV. $300K after 10 days.

I could be misreading this but this is quite a bit different.  This is just saying they will be charged the full cap hit if he signs later in the year.   The cap charge would be based on the salary signed.  The team wouldn't get cap relief for having the player be paid for a partial year. 

21 hours ago, Rich said:

@ReindeerGames91 $30K a day if he signs $5.5M AAV. $300K after 10 days.

I could be misreading this but this is quite a bit different.  This is just saying they will be charged the full cap hit if he signs later in the year.   The cap charge would be based on the salary signed.  The team wouldn't get cap relief for having the player be paid for a partial year. 

I can't find it anywhere but here is a link to the CBA....Article 11.4 talks about the signing deadline but that is all I can find.

http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/PDF/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

7 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I can't find it anywhere but here is a link to the CBA....Article 11.4 talks about the signing deadline but that is all I can find.

http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/PDF/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

I'm pretty sure it is what I stated above, where if an RFA signs late, the team gets charged the salary for the full year, rather than the partial year they played for.  This would have been instituted to get rid of loop holes where a team could make a player sit out to get cap relief.

And if this is what he means, then it isn't a blanket 30k per day.  The amount is based on what the player ends up signs for, and if the player doesn't sign, then there would be no cap hit at all.

Though I can't find that documented anywhere either ... but that makes more sense to me then penalising a team with a cap hit for an RFA sitting out.

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Ducky said:

Stafford  to Vancouver for 3rd in 2017 and 5th rounder in 2018...

Burmi to Isles for 3rd rounder...

Myers, Copp, Petan and a 2nd for RNH and Nurse.

Get rid of the Deadwood and solidify two areas of need.

Im glad you're not our GM. 

The way they're playing right now, I don't want Copp and Petan going anywhere.  As for Stafford, I'd say he's become expendable.  And since he's in his final contract year we may as well get something for him. 

Not sure if there's any realistic options out there but a goaltender upgrade might be a good move, whether to backup Helle or to continue easing Helle into the starting role.  I'm not sure the Jets are quite there yet as a contender but until our goaltending stiffens up we're gonna be on the outside looking in no matter how good our forwards and D are.  Hopefully someone from our current roster of goalies can finally nail down the job but if not are there options via trade out there?  Are guys like Miller, Fleury, Bishop etc viable options?  I know it's probably too much $$$ for what they actually bring and we'd get bent over in a trade for any of them but I'm just spitballing here.  Better options?  Or will any one of Helle/Hutch/Comrie step up consistently?

16 hours ago, Ducky said:

Stafford  to Vancouver for 3rd in 2017 and 5th rounder in 2018...

Burmi to Isles for 3rd rounder...

Myers, Copp, Petan and a 2nd for RNH and Nurse.

Get rid of the Deadwood and solidify two areas of need.

Your trade does not make sense from an Oilers point of view.

They couldn't protect Myers in the expansion draft along with all the other kids they need to protect. Nurse is exempt for them.

22 minutes ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

The way they're playing right now, I don't want Copp and Petan going anywhere.  As for Stafford, I'd say he's become expendable.  And since he's in his final contract year we may as well get something for him. 

Not sure if there's any realistic options out there but a goaltender upgrade might be a good move, whether to backup Helle or to continue easing Helle into the starting role.  I'm not sure the Jets are quite there yet as a contender but until our goaltending stiffens up we're gonna be on the outside looking in no matter how good our forwards and D are.  Hopefully someone from our current roster of goalies can finally nail down the job but if not are there options via trade out there?  Are guys like Miller, Fleury, Bishop etc viable options?  I know it's probably too much $$$ for what they actually bring and we'd get bent over in a trade for any of them but I'm just spitballing here.  Better options?  Or will any one of Helle/Hutch/Comrie step up consistently?

Hutch is here because, in part, every team needs to have a goalie exposed in the expansion draft.  Helle isnt eligible and neither is Pavs.  So Hutch is it.

I think the options you mentioned are all too expensive for the Jets' needs.  If the Jets were cup contenders, perhaps they'd see the value in a veteran back up.  But since they arent really cup contenders, continuing to grow and develop with their young goalies is likely the way they will go.  If they felt they needed a veteran back up, they would have kept Pavs with the Jets.