general trade thread to spit ball ideas

Ducky

With all the talk around the Leafs, Stamkos, and the cap, here's an idea.

Ol' Lou Lamerello needs to sweet talk a minimum cap team into a sign and trade with Stamkos.  I'll give you a for instance...

Say they get the New Jersey Devils to sign Stamkos to a 7 year $70 million dollar contact ($10MM per year cap hit).  Then trade a player or draft pick, along with $28 million to the NJD for Stamkos and have NJD retain $28 million of salary.  Wouldn't the Leafs then only owe $42MM for the rest of the contract, and the NJD would be able to have a salary floor of $58MM instead of $62MM.  

The Leafs would get their guy and save cap space.  NJD would get a guy or draft pick, and save $4MM per year if they chose not to spend up to the salary cap floor.

It's a win win idea, and a way to circumvent the salary cap for the rich teams.

Edited by ALuCsRED

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jets have a limited number of trader pieces (other than some of the fringe players and so-called starters like Beard...

obviously Pavelec, Stuart and a couple others would be wonderful traders but other GMs have something called brain cells so this would never fly.

Jets top 3 trade pieces:

1. Jake Trouba - seems to have topped out in terms of progress and starting to regress slightly (alarming at such an early age). His play is marked by an indescribable indifference. But he's the #1 target for other teams - many thinking a change of venue would jumpstart his career. Who can blame them?

2. Toby Enstrom - too small, too timid and too weak. Great in today's monster-based NHL, huh? Toby's weak defensive play always results in extra goals for opponents. I don't think he's tradeable even if he didn't possess a no-trade clause. Jets will just let the string run out on his contract.

3. Ondrej Pavelec - too high paid to be a back-up. And that's his level right now.

4. Nic Petan - Jets might have too many skilled players which shouldn't be a problem but in this case it is. Still young and spunky, hasn't given up hope but how many effective 5'8" forwards are there in the NHL? He could fetch a high draft pick - or even a solid #5 or #6 d-man plus a mid-round pick if the Jets were so inclined. I think they'll let him simmer in the AHL and use him as first skilled forward call up if something happens to a skill guy.

5. Josh Morrissey - the heir apparent for Enstrom. Little bit bigger, slightly more rambunctious than Enstrom but apparently still NOT READY. Other teams might covet his skill set - but he's not gonna fetch an established #2 or #3 guy - but if we can get a good d-man #4 or #5 minutes eater who can protect his own net Morrisey might be a consideration.

Would love to package Pavelec with either Petan or Trouba to get rid of Pavelec and his large salary. Might be worth a try for Chevy.

Edited by Root

9 hours ago, Atomic said:

Pavelec has only one year remaining at 3.9M.  Hold on to him and trade him to some team desperate for a goalie at the trade deadline.

i agree and it's not like we have much choice. Teams aren't going to be breaking down the doors trying to get Pavs. Stuart, Pavs and Petan for a low 2nd rounder.

If big if... the jets trade trouba you can pretty much better all your money that they would want a young expansion drafted exempt LHD. They won't trade him for a forward. If they did trouba would be in Colorado and Duchene or landeskog would be a Jet. 

Morrissey is also not trade bait. That's probably one of the most ridiculous things I've read on any hockey forum. 

6 minutes ago, Goalie said:

If big if... the jets trade trouba you can pretty much better all your money that they would want a young expansion drafted exempt LHD. They won't trade him for a forward. If they did trouba would be in Colorado and Duchene or landeskog would be a Jet. 

Morrissey is also not trade bait. That's probably one of the most ridiculous things I've read on any hockey forum. 

Exactly...If Larsson got the Devils Hall, just think what Trouba would get in return.

But trading a draft exempt up and comer like Morrissey is insane (unless the return is crazy).