Patrik Laine

Ducky

7 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Well Im hoping to arrange a scenario where I can post Eklund, state clearly that its simply to generate a discussion and then somehow get a dollar for everytime someone just bashes the "Eklund" part and ignores the discussion part.  So you owe me a dollar.

We should trade the pick for a donkey, two pig's ears, and a sack of magic beans. Discuss.

Laine will be wearing Jets colors next season as will Connor. Laine had a strong game against a physical Canadian team. Perry is Perry. A pissed off fading star that didn't go far in the playoffs again.

The Jets' upcoming talent is quite remarkable and it will be interesting to see what Maurice does with his lines but I would like to see Chevy trade some bodies for a young LHD with at least a 2nd pairing future. I'm not sure what it would take but we could use the help. Burmi, Tanev, Staf and Harkins for ????

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

Lawless article on tsn.ca about the jets and the 2nd pick. The thing I take from it is they haven't decided which Finn they will take yet. It doesn't sound like Laine is a slam dunk at the moment 

Lawless phoned in that article...  not much in it at all other than some references to online draft rankings...

I don't think Laine and Puljujarvi are separated by much if anything. Laine is good but so is Puljujarvi. I really don't know who they will take between the 2. I also think people need to accept that they very well could take Puljujarvi instead of Laine. Think some might be buying in to the hype too much. Laine is not guaranteed to be a Jet 

7 hours ago, Goalie said:

I don't think Laine and Puljujarvi are separated by much if anything. Laine is good but so is Puljujarvi. I really don't know who they will take between the 2. I also think people need to accept that they very well could take Puljujarvi instead of Laine. Think some might be buying in to the hype too much. Laine is not guaranteed to be a Jet 

Just like Eichel wasn't guaranteed to be a Sabre last year. But he was. The media just speculated otherwise because if the top two picks are so obvious, what else are they going to talk about?

If Laine isn't a Jet, it's because Matthews is. Not because Puljujarvi is. That's no slight on Puljujarvi either, by all accounts he's a hell of a hockey player. He impressed me a ton during the WJC. But not only is Laine better, he's exactly what this team needs.

I tend to agree with Mike.  I havent seen much and Im no scout.  But the guys that get paid money to be scouts and to be media analysts all talk about Laine as #2.  Sure, JP didnt play at the World's so he's not talked about as much but I tend to think the smart guys take into account the talent of the player and dont just discount him because he got hurt.  Everyone that matters talks of Laine as closer to #1 than JP being closer to #2.

Jets have gone off the board before.  On the other hand, picking Connor was because he fell to them and they couldnt believe their good fortune.  Cant see the Jets doing anything but #2.  But until they step up to the podium they will gladly pay lip service to the idea they havent decided.  And they probably havent decided 100%...interviews will be a factor.  But they've decided 80% I would guess.

Lawless had an interesting take yesterday where the interview could play a big part on who they take.

If they get the feeling the player is a "big lights, big city" type of player who wouldn't be happy in Winnipeg long term, that could factor into them choosing JP over Laine.  They don't want an Evander Kane repeat.

He wasn't suggesting that was necessarily the case with Laine, but it would be a factor in the decision after the player interviews..

I wonder though how much stock you ultimately put into that if you truly believe one player is better than the other.  You basically control an RFA for 8 years.  People change a huge amount between 18 and 26. 

10 hours ago, Goalie said:

May 18 - "I think that the Jets may surprise and take Puljujarvi"

June 26th (after the draft) "I called it all along that they were going to take Laine".

5 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

May 18 - "I think that the Jets may surprise and take Puljujarvi"

June 26th (after the draft) "I called it all along that they were going to take Laine".

Hardly. I really don't care who they take. I'm not a scout. Laine? Great. Puljujarvi? Great. 

Just the simple fact that Chevy is not getting to see Pullu at Worlds probably makes Laine a lock...  He's not going to turn around and say 'yeah, we watched Laine dominate against some of the world's best players but we love what Pulujarvi did at the Juniors... with Laine...

Its Laine or Matthews... media just needs something to talk about

Just now, Floyd said:

And the second overall pick, the Winnipeg Jets take Matthew Tkachuk...

hee hee - I'd want to see that just to see Goalie's head explode...but truth be told I wouldn't be that sad actually...but that's just because I want to see Selanne-Zhamnov-Tkachuk part deux.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

**** move by a player that should know better.  If Laine had done that to Perry, he'd be labeled a bad draft risk due to immaturity.  But to see a 31 year old veteran player do that, just stupid and low brow.  Laine's reaction was great though, just shook it off, sucked it up and came back out flying.  Love to see that.

Assuming Toronto takes Matthews, if the Jets dont take Laine it means a lot of very smart people who should know, were very wrong.  I dont see the Jets going off the board, even to take JP.  Unless something happens between now and then. 

This is the same management team that signed Kane to a long term deal even after he asked for a trade and asked for one every single year.  So Im not sure anything short of Laine getting busted for snorting coke out of a Russian politician's ass or publicly saying he hates Winnipeg would cause them to think twice.  Judgement and guesses factor in later.  Not in the top three.  Laine is the best player according to virtually everyone.  So thats who the Jets should pick.

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Assuming Toronto takes Matthews, if the Jets dont take Laine it means a lot of very smart people who should know, were very wrong.  I dont see the Jets going off the board, even to take JP.  Unless something happens between now and then. 

This is the same management team that signed Kane to a long term deal even after he asked for a trade and asked for one every single year.  So Im not sure anything short of Laine getting busted for snorting coke out of a Russian politician's ass or publicly saying he hates Winnipeg would cause them to think twice.  Judgement and guesses factor in later.  Not in the top three.  Laine is the best player according to virtually everyone.  So thats who the Jets should pick.

vladimir-putin-laughing.gif

10 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

**** move by a player that should know better.  If Laine had done that to Perry, he'd be labeled a bad draft risk due to immaturity.  But to see a 31 year old veteran player do that, just stupid and low brow.  Laine's reaction was great though, just shook it off, sucked it up and came back out flying.  Love to see that.

But this is the way Perry has played his whole career, next year if you get the chance to watch Anaheim play  you will see if you focus on Perry one of the dirtiest players the game has ever seen and when somebody goes after him he goes running to the ref, absolutely no respect for a player like him

18 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Depends on the politician... this one might get more bravo's than boo's. ;)

1289742524kabajevazgsdyuvud6xsvuds.jpg