Patrik Laine

Ducky

Very glad they got him, he should be really good, Jets need a player like him

but I don't think he'll get  the same amount of  room (shown in that highlight video) in the NHL. He won't be left alone like that very often.

11 minutes ago, Rich said:

Jack Johnson got taken for a ride by his parents and supposed financial advisers.  

The only thing he did wrong was trust people he should have been able to trust.

There has been accusations that Jack was in on it and only when it all went south did he come up with the "I didnt know" defense.  Supposedly he signed some papers in person for some of the deals he said he wasnt involved with.  I tend to believe more the side that he trusted the wrong people.  But even that defense isnt a catch-all... when you make millions of dollars, you should read what you're signing.

17 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

There has been accusations that Jack was in on it and only when it all went south did he come up with the "I didnt know" defense.  Supposedly he signed some papers in person for some of the deals he said he wasnt involved with.  I tend to believe more the side that he trusted the wrong people.  But even that defense isnt a catch-all... when you make millions of dollars, you should read what you're signing.

Not saying Johnson has no blame in the whole thing, he definitely has to shoulder some of it.

But how many people of the general public would make stupid decisions if they got that much money at the age.

Agree he trusted the wrong people.

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

Not saying Johnson has no blame in the whole thing, he definitely has to shoulder some of it.

But how many people of the general public would make stupid decisions if they got that much money at the age.

Agree he trusted the wrong people.

Yes.  Unless he was culpable in some of the bad decisions and this is a defense.  If I recall, the defense of people he was suing said Jack Johnson knew exactly what was happening.  His actions seem to indicate he's assigning blame so its hard to imagine he was involved in potential scams or fraud.  But you never know.

From TSN:

Bankrupt NHL star defenceman Jack Johnson is accused of being in cahoots with his parents in taking out a string of high-interest loans.

RFF Family Partnerships, a California-based marketing company which is among Johnson’s largest creditors in his bankruptcy case, accuses the Columbus Blue Jacket of committing “false representation and/or actual fraud” during the year-old case.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

• 2 months later...

Patrik Laine was selected second overall by the Winnipeg Jets capping what was a truly remarkable season for the tall, dynamic and electrifying Finn. The pile of accolades that Laine stacked last season is almost surreal. In the Liiga (Finland's elite men's league), Laine won rookie of the year after compiling the most goals by a rookie, the most assists by a rookie, the most playoff goals by a rookie, was given the Jari Kurri Award as the top performer in the Liiga playoffs, and took home the Liiga championship. In international play, Laine won a gold medal with Finland in the World Junior Championship, scored that tournament's most goals and was named to the All-Star team. At the World Hockey Championships, playing against some of the world's best players, Laine set the record for the highest-scoring 18-year-old in tournament history, was named MVP, the Best Forward, an All-Star, and won a silver medal.

His performance on the world stage last season was truly amazing to watch, and there is little chance that he fails to carry that pace into the NHL this year. His shot gets compared to some of the true snipers in the game, but what is equally impressive is his ability to play all over the ice in the offensive zone, finding the small gaps and reading the play so well that he is consistently at the right place to make a play. He is also a threat in transition and although his defense lacks polish, he plays with the kind of determination that is indicative of quality future development. For now, Jets fans will be thrilled to watch Laine roam the offensive zone and light up the game every time he touches the puck.

by Brian Fogarty...

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone notice Laine going over and having words with the Stars' player after the Stars' player hit Enstrom in yesterday's game?

I loved it. I don't give a shite who your team mate is or how big or small or young or old he is, you stick up for a team mate...period. Buff has that in him and so does Stuart and Thorbs.

16 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Did anyone notice Laine going over and having words with the Stars' player after the Stars' player hit Enstrom in yesterday's game?

I loved it. I don't give a shite who your team mate is or how big or small or young or old he is, you stick up for a team mate...period. Buff has that in him and so does Stuart and Thorbs.

Yes.  Absolutely.  I've seen him do that in another game too...I dont remember the context but someone did something nasty and he was right in their face.  Might not mean too much now, but wait until he has another 20lbs of muscle on his frame and he's tossing guys around like sacks of potatoes.

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

6 Goals, and 8 points in 7 games. So far he has been money. Guy has a knack of positioning himself in the right space and has arguably the best shot in the league at 18 years old. Love Austin Matthews game, but happy with the guy we got.

He's an odd skater though.  Cant put my finger on it.  But its like he doesnt jump to the puck quickly.