Patrik Laine

Ducky

5 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I can't see Chevy trading away this pick, he likes more developing through the draft not wheeling and dealing. Not his MO. I don't see him pulling the trigger on this. 

And how would that change with this proposed trade?

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

By the wheel and deal feel to this, the higher risk incurred and potentially not getting the best player you could get in the draft outside of Matthews.

But the point I was making is that if the Jets had already decided Pulu was the guy, why not make a deal with CBJ?

Just now, JCon said:

But the point I was making is that if the Jets had already decided Pulu was the guy, why not make a deal with CBJ?

True, but why make a deal unless you can manipulate their desperation, you don't have to trade away the pick to get him if that's the case. We are in the position of strength, CBJ is not. Seth Jones sounds good. 

And for the record, my opinion, with trying to cancel out the hype, is PL is the man to take if Matthews isn't selected. 

No no no y would Columbus give up one of these guys just to swap 3 to 2nd?  Unless they see a superstar in Laine? Whoever gets the best player in a deal wins.You don't trade a franchise player away...... unless your forced to.Thank god Chevy stays the course with draft picks... .

Edited by bb1

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

If Columbus is willing to overpay because they're desperate to make sure they get Laine.......you look long and hard at it, for sure. Not really sure what I'd want from them, tho...

My thought was a trade to so we'd have 2 & 3. It would take Trouba + to get it done though.

Murray is an UFA in two years and has to be protected but I like picking up Werenski...

Trouba and 2nd overall for Werenski, Gabriel Carlsson, Wennberg and 3rd overall.

Trade 1st rounders with Vancouver and they also add Virtanen and a 2nd from this year.

Jets lose 2nd overall and Trouba for Virtanen, Werenski, Carlsson, Wennberg and 5th overall where Tkachuk or PLD should still be available and 35th overall.

2 hours ago, Ducky said:

Murray is an UFA in two years and has to be protected but I like picking up Werenski...

Trouba and 2nd overall for Werenski, Gabriel Carlsson, Wennberg and 3rd overall.

Trade 1st rounders with Vancouver and they also add Virtanen and a 2nd from this year.

Jets lose 2nd overall and Trouba for Virtanen, Werenski, Carlsson, Wennberg and 5th overall where Tkachuk or PLD should still be available and 35th overall.

Just add in the moon and u would be set up!?

Columbus can't afford trouba. Anyone check their cap?  It's not possible 

They don't even have the space to sign Seth Jones. They are screwed. 

Murray is actually an rfa in 2 years. He was drafted 2nd overall the same year trouba was drafted 9th overall. Rfa. Just signed a 2 year bridge. 

Most I'd do since it's Columbus wanting Laine over Puljujarvi is 2 plus Roslovic for 3 plus Werenski. If Columbus wants Laine that bad and the Jets feel that the difference between Laine and Puljujarvi isn't as huge as some think... Columbus is the one adding to move to 2... not the Jets 

Edited by Goalie

Interesting note from Elliotte Friedman's always-interesting 30 Thoughts:

3. If you were Edmonton, would you make this offer: the fourth overall pick to the Winnipeg Jets for Jacob Trouba and pick No. 22? You’d have to know you could sign Trouba, for sure. But I wonder how the Jets would feel about going back to Manitoba with Patrik Laine and Matthew Tkachuk. They’d probably be in a better mood this weekend than, say, the European Union.

I don't understand why we would ever want to dump defensemen for forwards, other than this whole expansion draft talk.

We walk away from the draft with Laine and Tkachuk? Great, where the hell do all these forwards play?

Without getting into line combinations, that's Laine, Connor, Wheeler, Tkachuk, Little, Perreault, Ehlers, Scheifele, Dano, Armia, Lowry, Copp in our 12 - not factoring in Stafford (who will be gone) or any of our forward prospects. If anything, we need to be condensing the amount of forward prospects we have, not trading potential #1 D-men for more of them.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

I don't understand why we would ever want to dump defensemen for forwards, other than this whole expansion draft talk.

We walk away from the draft with Laine and Tkachuk? Great, where the hell do all these forwards play?

Without getting into line combinations, that's Laine, Connor, Wheeler, Tkachuk, Little, Perreault, Ehlers, Scheifele, Dano, Armia, Lowry, Copp in our 12 - not factoring in Stafford (who will be gone) or any of our forward prospects. If anything, we need to be condensing the amount of forward prospects we have, not trading potential #1 D-men for more of them.

Because it's fun to make fantasy trades?

Its not a terrible trade if the Trouba negotiations arent going well.  Although I wonder if Edmonton would take pick 36 rather than 22 (or a throw-in forward).

And I think it only happens because of the expansion draft.  There is simply no way the Jets can lose any of their top D for nothing.  But they have several forwards they could lose. 

Having "extra" forwards isnt an issue if you can package up 2 or 3 of them for a D.  If the Jets picked #2 and #4 and lost Trouba, I wouldnt be surprised to see them be aggressive in getting a young D who is expansion draft exempt.