Patrik Laine

Ducky

I'd say 90 percent chance we take him. However I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't.  Honestly... both Laine and Puljujarvi and Matthews for that matter played overseas where really you can't watch them on TV. These tournaments are neat and all but I hope these scouts aren't drafting on what a guy does or doesn't do at a tournament. They have seen these 3 play 15 20 or more times each. I've seen Laine maybe 5 times and Puljujarvi about the same and Matthews maybe twice. In my opinion I thought Puljujarvi was the most impressive one... the most consistent  one and the one that stood out the most because he did everything very good. It would not surprise me if The Jets took Puljujarvi. It wouldn't surprise me if they took Laine either. Whoever they take... I'll be happy as long as it's one of Matthews Laine or Puljujarvi. If they go off the board... they won't but if they do... then I won't be happy. But to say I have a favorite of the 3 most obvious ones ... I really don't. I think they all will be very good players in the NHL sooner rather than later. I'm fine with Laine. I'm fine with Puljujarvi. Whoever we take will be a good player. You almost have to wonder if Puljujarvi wasn't injured in grand forks and played in this tourney..if maybe ppl would be talking more about him. 

Edited by Goalie

Nah. Connor needs to add some weight. He will start with the moose regardless and nothing wrong with that. If they take Yes E it's because they feel he's the better player and has the more complete game. For any of us to say they should take this guy instead.... it's borderline ridiculous because... honestly how many times have any of us seen these guys play. Not much.  And even if we did... none of us are scouts so really what the hell do we know lol 

2 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

If we are drafting JP...IF...should we not be making a trade with CBJ then? Like everyone else they probably have PL ahead of JP.

It would really depend on if Columbus was really partial to one player over the other.  

In this hypothetical world, IF we have JP ahead of PL, then Columbus might also, so who knows if they would deal.  Or they might be happy getting either or in which case they wouldn't be willing to give up a whole lot.

Well, I don't think a trade from 3 to 2 would make much sense for CBJ. I mean, what are they gonna give up? The reality is there are 3 guys in this draft that should be on NHL rosters next season and they will be playing for Tor, WPG and CBJ... 

Honestly, If the Jets have Pulju over Laine, at 2, I just take Puljujarvi... I don't even both talking to CBJ cuz CBJ would just say... well, we aren't giving up anything to move up 1 spot to take the guy that we are fine with taking at 3. The real winners of this draft are WPG and CBJ assuming Toronto takes Matthews, which they will. Cuz really, even tho Laine seems to be the flavor of the month right now, Puljujarvi's upside is just as high. WPG happily takes Puljujarvi or Laine second and CBJ happily takes whoever the Jets don't take 3rd.  If Pulju was playing in the Worlds, people would be talking about him right now also but he's not...so they aren't. If the Jets take him at 2, there is a reason for that. What? only they will really know, Maybe they feel laine is a bit of a headcase? hard to say, maybe his skating and d work isn't good enough? maybe they don't like his attitude? hard to say... But if they take Pulju instead, i trust that they know what they are doing. These guys have quite the draft history. They know which guy to pick. 

Jets will more than likely take Laine but... I think people need to  realize that there is also a chance they don't. Don't get your hopes up to high for a guy you have seen play 5 or 6 times at most, i get the media are pumping Matthews and Laine but Puljujarvi is no slouch either. It's very possible that Puljujarvi is the best player drafted in this class in 5 years time. His upside is huge also. Just cuz the media is talking about Laine right now, it doesn't mean Puljujarvi is some scrub who people should be upset about if we drafted him over Laine. 

Edited by Goalie

It doesn't matter which player they take at 2nd, it will create one hell of a competition for the bottom six.

You've got to figure that ESW with Little, and Perreault and/or Staf and/or Laine? fill out the top six. That leaves a LOT of players vying for the bottom 6 and a press box seat. For sake of argument, let's say that seat is taken by Thorbs.

This leaves one of Laine?, Staf or Perreault making the bottom six so that leaves 5 spots. Who makes it?

Lowry, Copp, Armia, Connor and Dano would be my guesses.

Edited by Ducky

Okay, for discussion purposes only, from resident goofball Eklund (I said DISCUSSION PURPOSES):

Per one source:

"You need a combination of grade A prospects as well as be willing to detach yourself from a regular top 6 guy...and those prospects need to be ready NOW. It will also take teams who are not too married to their current setup or who have the right amount of desperation to make such a monumental move for a single, unproven, potential superstar..."

The Flyers and Leafs may have the best shot here. From Philly's side it would take Brayden Schenn, Travis Sanheim, Sam Morin, plus two picks in the first 4 rounds...or Travis Konecny....That's the kind of ransom this kid would command. For the Leafs, you are looking at combinations of Rielly, Nylander, etc...

The Jets would demand either a top, young d-man already playing, or a few d prospects who are ready for prime-time.

So...how do those deals sound?

9 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Chevy has said he's not trading the pick. Posting Eklund thoughts is pointless. The guy is wrong all the time. 

Well Im hoping to arrange a scenario where I can post Eklund, state clearly that its simply to generate a discussion and then somehow get a dollar for everytime someone just bashes the "Eklund" part and ignores the discussion part.  So you owe me a dollar.