Mayweather may UNretire to fight Mcgregor

6 hours ago, Brandon said:

Considering the elite in boxing couldn't take out Mayweather... I don't see how a guy who isn't even the best MMA boxer at 155 could take him out aside from a punchers chance.   

I assume you think Diaz is better? He got his ass kicked in the first 1.5 rounds of both matches. He was competitive because he has a great chin and great cardio.

It's either McGregor with a lucky knockout in the first 4 rounds or Mayweather by decision.

No chance Mayweather is going to knock him out, he's shaking off two years outside the ring, they're fighting at a weight Mayweather has knocked one guy out at ever and McGregor has a rock solid chin. McGregor needs to find the balance between coming in guns blazing looking for the home run shot and making sure he doesn't gas in case he blows it.

The reach for McGregor plus the fight weight tilt it in his favor but there's still the fact that he's not a boxer and Mayweather is the best boxer ever.

7 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I assume boxing is an integral part of MMA training. Is it on the level of Mayweather? probably not. But anything can happen

It's usually stand-up training geared towards mma rather than boxing.  How you stand/move for boxing is different than how you would for MMA (don't have to worry about kicks or takedowns in boxing).  The glove size also make a big difference... way easier to block a punch thrown with a 14oz glove compared to a 6oz one so you have to change your style for that too.

I think this will be a let down much like mayweather Manny. I think lots of us will be extremely disappointed while watching. Problem with these superfights is they get hyped so much that when the fight finally happens its a huge letdown. I think we may see something similar

Edited by Goalie

26 minutes ago, Mike said:

It's either McGregor with a lucky knockout in the first 4 rounds or Mayweather by decision.

No chance Mayweather is going to knock him out, he's shaking off two years outside the ring, they're fighting at a weight Mayweather has knocked one guy out at ever and McGregor has a rock solid chin. McGregor needs to find the balance between coming in guns blazing looking for the home run shot and making sure he doesn't gas in case he blows it.

The reach for McGregor plus the fight weight tilt it in his favor but there's still the fact that he's not a boxer and Mayweather is the best boxer ever.

Maybe not out cold, but I could see a tko. I can see McGregor gassing and Mayweather overwhelming him.

I agree that fighting at 154 is an advantage for McGregor. That's basically Mayweather's normal weight. Being bigger, taller, and a lefty all work in McGregor's favour.

Mcgregor has no chance whatsoever in winning this.  I mean, okay, maybe he has a.1% chance of landing a lucky punch.  McGregor is not a boxer, doesnt box, never boxed professionally. 

This is like the old argument when Kimbo was going into MMA, that he'd knock everyone out because he was a scary street fighter.  Tough guys dont beat skilled guys.  Its that simple.

Its really a mockery, to be honest.  The money makes it easy to sanction but take a no-name but skilled boxer against a no-name "fighter" with no boxing skill and it doesnt get sanctioned. 

Mayweather will keep it interesting but he could probably win it in one round.

Its fascinating though because of the money involved and I dont have a problem with it.  People want to see the spectacle. 

But let's not pretend mcGregor has a legitimate shot. 

27 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

This is like the old argument when Kimbo was going into MMA, that he'd knock everyone out because he was a scary street fighter.  Tough guys dont beat skilled guys.  Its that simple.

Mayweather will keep it interesting but he could probably win it in one round.

It's not really like that at all. I don't think anybody that followed the sport thought Kimbo would be successful in mma. McGregor is a world class athlete and arguably the best striker in mma. He's not in Mayweather's class from a technical boxing standpoint, but it's not like he starting from scratch either.

Mayweather doesn't have the power to knock him out in one round.

8 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

It's not really like that at all. I don't think anybody that followed the sport thought Kimbo would be successful in mma. McGregor is a world class athlete and arguably the best striker in mma. He's not in Mayweather's class from a technical boxing standpoint, but it's not like he starting from scratch either.

Mayweather doesn't have the power to knock him out in one round.

Its comparable in the sense people who were fans of Kimbo thought he'd beat up trained MMA guys.  People who are McGregor fans think he can beat Mayweather.  He can't.  And if Mayweather wants to embarrass him, he probably could.  I imagine he will make a show of it though. 

10 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Its comparable in the sense people who were fans of Kimbo thought he'd beat up trained MMA guys.  People who are McGregor fans think he can beat Mayweather.  He can't.  And if Mayweather wants to embarrass him, he probably could.  I imagine he will make a show of it though. 

Except in the sport of fight, McGregor CAN beat Mayweather. The odds of him doing so are very low, but all it takes is one shot. And as mentioned ... he's a world-class striker.

22 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

It's not really like that at all. I don't think anybody that followed the sport thought Kimbo would be successful in mma.

There was a lot of people in MMA that thought a brawler and striker like Kimbo could overwhelm his opponents. They thought he could take a punch and keep coming.

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Except in the sport of fight, McGregor CAN beat Mayweather. The odds of him doing so are very low, but all it takes is one shot. And as mentioned ... he's a world-class striker.

Yes, I acknowledge he has a puncher's chance.  But he's an 1100 underdog right now which is so lop sided I am considering throwing down some money on McGregor lol

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

And that's the reason I'm going to watch this fight. I don't think McGregor has a chance but if all the stars align, on one magical punch, he could stun Mayweather.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yes, I acknowledge he has a puncher's chance.  But he's an 1100 underdog right now which is so lop sided I am considering throwing down some money on McGregor lol

Yes, do it now.

People will talk themselves into this fight being more competitive. People will be selling this fight to boost the buy.

Just now, JCon said:

There was a lot of people in MMA that thought a brawler and striker like Kimbo could overwhelm his opponents. They thought he could take a punch and keep coming.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that point.

The promoters for his early fights were picking tomato cans for him so he wouldn't get embarrassed. They were also offering low base pay and large knockout bonuses to entice fighters to not just take him down and tap him out.

Dave Meltzer is not only the preeminent wrestling journalist, he's also one of the finest MMA journalists too (and a former judge).  Here are some snippets from his story on this fight in his newsletter this week (I wont post the whole thing because it's a subscription newsletter but I highly recommend it if you're a wrestling/MMA fan:

What is likely to be one of the biggest PPV events of all-time appears to be a reality.

Figures of $100 million for each fighter have been thrown around, although the real number are dependent upon the PPV numbers. It’s quite the story about McGregor, who was living on government assistance just four years ago. What is notable is that for McGregor, this will likely be the first time one of his fights will be on PPV in the U.K. and his home country of Ireland, which increases the revenue potential.

The fight, pitting the biggest drawing card in boxing over the past decade against the biggest drawing card in MMA in recent years, has one uncharted question.

Will the public buy into two huge personalities when, as a boxing match, it should be a mismatch? Mayweather, 49-0, is the greatest boxer of this generation, although is 40. McGregor is 28, and is a great MMA striker, but that’s an entirely different sport. He has never boxed professionally. Those who know boxing well and knew him from his start in boxing gyms said that he had great aptitude for that sport and probably could have been a European champion and a ranked contender. But he didn’t go into that sport and has no experience at it.

Here, unless Mayweather has suddenly slipped. or there is a fluke, there is no argument over who wins, and in dominant form. Right now, Mayweather is listed as a -1100 favorite.

Promoters would be disappointed if the match did 2.2 million buys, a number that has only been reached three times in history, Mayweather fights with Oscar de la Hoya, Canelo Alvarez and Manny Pacquiao. The latter did closer to 4.6 million buys, raising greatly what was widely thought as the ceiling for a PPV event of less than 3 million buys. Because of that figure, there are those talking four million buys as a possibility here, whereas if that fight had never happened, the predictions would be closer to 2.5 million.

If the general public doesn’t get interested, or sees it as a joke fight and doesn’t support it (many will see it as a joke fight and still support it because in the end, they want to see it), which on paper it is, the results will be very different.

Mayweather decided to come out of retirement because he saw an opportunity to draw Pacquiao like numbers with a minimal physical risk. McGregor, to his credit, hyped this match for a few years, at a time when nobody took seriously any chance it could happen, and he was the catalyst in it happening.

But if you think about it, the idea that a 49-0 greatest fighter of his generation could be sanctioned for a fight against someone with an 0-0 record, and sanctioned without discussion, points to the value of money overriding regulated sport.

If Mayweather wins, it will give him a 50-0 record, breaking the Rocky Marciano record of 49-0 and retiring undefeated, although this is quite the cheap way to break that record.

1 minute ago, sweep the leg said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on that point.

The promoters for his early fights were picking tomato cans for him so he wouldn't get embarrassed. They were also offering low base pay and large knockout bonuses to entice fighters to not just take him down and tap him out.

Yes because those people knew.  Im talking people who were Kimbo fans thinking he'd go in and show these fighters what a real street tough man can do.  MMA people knew Kimbo was nothing.  Which is why White made him go through TUF rather then take the money for a joke of a fight.

Similar thing with Brock except the experts knew he was such a unique talent, he actually COULD overwhelm his opponents even with very limited skills outside of wrestling.  And wrestling fans wanted to see Brock show these MMA guys who's boss which is why Brock was such a huge draw.  The MMA fans hated the wrestler/outsider and the wrestling fans felt like it proved their sport was tough.  Kimbo was no Brock. 

As much as McGrgeor would decimate Mayweather in an MMA rules fight, he has little chance here.  I mean, he *could* get lucky but that would have as much to do with Mayweather making a mistake and/or being really cocky or unprepared.  There is absolutely no reason Mayweather shouldn't have the skill to defend McGregor's striking.

16 hours ago, Brandon said:

How so?  He has how many professional boxing fights?   His only chance is a hope and a prayer that a haymaker connects...  

The first thing that goes for athletes with age is speed. If floyd cant get out and circle away quick enough he wouldnt have a chance. That said, i dont think floyd has slowed to that point yet. He could very well be slower then what we last saw. The real danger with that is he thinks he is X fast and reacts accordingly. If he is x-2 that could be a big enough window. 

Floyd has brittle hands as well. If he badily breaks a hand early thats an opening. 

Floyd is a defensive fighter though. He is an expert at using boxing gloves as well as his feet to stay clean. 

The fight is 100% in floyds hands. If he performs and fights the same as he did against pacman he wins a decision. 

mcg has about as close to a 0% chance of winning a decision as it gets. He blew his gas against diaz. He isnt versed in full 5 round fights. Forget boxing 12 rounds. Not to mention hes used to striking with small gloves now. And defending with them. 

I think if its a decision victory its 100% floyd. If its a KO finish its 100% mcg. But i think its a 95% chance + that floyd wins. Mcg has a punchers chance. But thats diminished by the glove size. And the very nature of floyd. 

16 hours ago, Brandon said:

How so?  He has how many professional boxing fights?   His only chance is a hope and a prayer that a haymaker connects...  

The first thing that goes for athletes with age is speed. If floyd cant get out and circle away quick enough he wouldnt have a chance. That said, i dont think floyd has slowed to that point yet. He could very well be slower then what we last saw. The real danger with that is he thinks he is X fast and reacts accordingly. If he is x-2 that could be a big enough window. 

Floyd has brittle hands as well. If he badily breaks a hand early thats an opening. 

Floyd is a defensive fighter though. He is an expert at using boxing gloves as well as his feet to stay clean. 

The fight is 100% in floyds hands. If he performs and fights the same as he did against pacman he wins a decision. 

mcg has about as close to a 0% chance of winning a decision as it gets. He blew his gas against diaz. He isnt versed in full 5 round fights. Forget boxing 12 rounds. Not to mention hes used to striking with small gloves now. And defending with them. 

I think if its a decision victory its 100% floyd. If its a KO finish its 100% mcg. But i think its a 95% chance + that floyd wins. Mcg has a punchers chance. But thats diminished by the glove size. And the very nature of floyd. 

8 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Mcgregor has no chance whatsoever in winning this.  I mean, okay, maybe he has a.1% chance of landing a lucky punch.  McGregor is not a boxer, doesnt box, never boxed professionally. 

This is the only sane post in this thread...

I also like when people say Connor is a world class striker...  no he isn't.     

The Kimbo/Brock Lesnar cross over can work because in MMA the heavyweight division is so thin on talent that their may only be 10 really good guys and fringe big men can make it in easily.  

8 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Mcgregor has no chance whatsoever in winning this.

But it is boxing where many a fight has been predetermined by a man in a fedora hat.

Let's not forget that in 1994 George Foreman at age 45, regained a portion of the heavyweight championship by knocking out 27-year-old Michael Moorer to win the unified WBA, IBF, and lineal titles.

and Holyfield-Lewis 1.