2016 Top 10 Mock Draft

Let's do this... Not an expert at all, Just take your best Guess for the top 10... base it on teams needs and all that...

1. Leafs - C Auston Matthews

2. Jets - RW who prefers LW - Patrik Laine

3. CBJ - RW Jesse Puljujarvi 

4. EDM (Traded) and that team takes C Pierre Luc Dubois

5. Vancouver - C and Local Boy Tyson Jost

6. Calgary - LW Matthew Tkachuk 

7. Arizona - D man Olli Juolevi

8. Buffalo - W Alex Nylander

9. Montreal - C Logan Brown 

10. Colorado - D Michail Sergachev

Chychrun Falls to 12 and is the last of the big 3 d men picked. Jets consider trading up for him but sit at 22 and take D Kale Clague from Brandon. 

Some team will reach for a guy like D Logan Stanley due to his size. 

Edited by Goalie

NHL.com (https://www.nhl.com/news/winnipeg-jets-get-second-pick-in-nhl-draft/c-280529152?tid=277764372)  says we're at 26 in the first round, where's the 22nd come from? 

The Jets have seven picks in the draft, including two in the first round; they also have the 26th pick obtained when they traded forward Andrew Ladd to the Chicago Blackhawks this season.

Jets need to take a D at 22 if one is available, it NEEDs to happen. Outside of Morrissey, Poolman (who isn't a given to be Jets property) and Niku, they literally have nothing.

a D, RHD or LHD, doesn't matter what hand, cuz reality is that D won't be ready for 2 3 years at the earliest... is what they need to do unless a guy they have ranked in their own top 15 falls to 22, then you take that guy and pick a guy like Clague at 36. 

2 is gonna be Laine or Puljujarvi. Either or. Take your pick really. Can't go wrong with either.

22 needs to be a D man unless like i said, a forward they have ranked in their top 15 falls to them (Rubstov would be a steal at 22 if he's still there) 

3 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

If you crave speed take Pul.

Laine though just in the past month and out done Pul but maybe a lot has to do with his local team. They are playing this weekend right?

No. Laine is currently playing for Finland at the World Championships. 

His Finnish team already won the league championship

8 hours ago, Goalie said:

Jets need to take a D at 22 if one is available, it NEEDs to happen. Outside of Morrissey, Poolman (who isn't a given to be Jets property) and Niku, they literally have nothing.

a D, RHD or LHD, doesn't matter what hand, cuz reality is that D won't be ready for 2 3 years at the earliest... is what they need to do unless a guy they have ranked in their own top 15 falls to 22, then you take that guy and pick a guy like Clague at 36. 

2 is gonna be Laine or Puljujarvi. Either or. Take your pick really. Can't go wrong with either.

22 needs to be a D man unless like i said, a forward they have ranked in their top 15 falls to them (Rubstov would be a steal at 22 if he's still there) 

I totally agree... it NEEDS to be a defence man, ABSOLUTELY MUST PICK D AT 22nd...

unless Gauthier is available.

Or Tufte.  Or Bellows.

So in conclusion, 22nd pick must ABSOLUTELY be a defence man.  Any defenceman.

Unless its not.  :ph34r:

10 hours ago, Blueballz said:

Laine is more of a pure goal scorer which is why I see Chevy taking him...that and even though he shoots right, is used to playing LW.

I tend to agree.  He gives them options by playing either wing and he seems to have the highest upside.  Interviews might make all the difference but I also like the confidence and *swagger* he seems to have.  He's a bit bigger than Puljujarvi (though not by much) and a bit older (not by much).

A story I read on the hockey writers suggested Laine might even be converted to Center by some teams which is something I hadnt heard before.  And while Puljujarvi might be more creative, Laine seems to play a more NHL-ready game.

With an extra first rounder and the plethora of young FW prospects we have, I'm hoping Chevy works the phones something fierce between now and the draft. Just like trade deadline I think the Jets could have as much in play as any other team.

Don't sell the farm...but do what you can to acquire a RH shot D and make the top 6 better.  One of Matthews/Laine/Jesse P does speed up the development of the team, drastically. Count me in the group that thinks were closer to a perennial playoff team than not - with the right management, that could start next season.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2016‎/‎05‎/‎05 at 8:38 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

I tend to agree.  He gives them options by playing either wing and he seems to have the highest upside.  Interviews might make all the difference but I also like the confidence and *swagger* he seems to have.  He's a bit bigger than Puljujarvi (though not by much) and a bit older (not by much).

A story I read on the hockey writers suggested Laine might even be converted to Center by some teams which is something I hadnt heard before.  And while Puljujarvi might be more creative, Laine seems to play a more NHL-ready game.

Darren Dreger on 1290 said that Puljujarvi was the one being considered being converted over to center as he is a great skater and that the CBJ are very high on him and possibly doing this.