2016 Lines

10 hours ago, JCon said:

Who did he outplay? No one he played has played in the NHL.

You misunderstood or maybe I didn't say it properly.

For instance, Larkin from the Red Wings scored 45 points and Connor scored 71 I think...big difference in points there. He has world class speed, a legit one timer and and passes as well as he shoots. Is he defensively sound? No. He will learn that and play the 3rd line until PM is comfortable with moving him up the lineup. He is more ready than Ehlers was at the start of last season.

Why would you want Connor on the third line playing 12 minutes a Night when he can play 20 plus with the Moose? 

Is Connor ready? Training camp will tell you that. If he's not ready for a top 6 role tho... he's better off playing 20 minutes a Night with the Moose than he is playing 12 minutes with the jets. 

Edited by Goalie

I don't agree. How many minutes did Scheif get his first year? Would they have been better spent on the Moose getting more time? He is ready. He won't finish the year on the third. He will finish it playing with Ehlers or Wheeler as the other winger.

Laine Little Wheeler

Connor Scheif Ehlers

to end the year.

8 hours ago, Ducky said:

I don't agree. How many minutes did Scheif get his first year? Would they have been better spent on the Moose getting more time? He is ready. He won't finish the year on the third. He will finish it playing with Ehlers or Wheeler as the other winger.

When Scheifele was Connor's age, he played 4 games and got sent back down to Barrie.  Connor will only be about 3 months older (December birthday vs. March).  

In Scheifele's first full year (and even second) he was continuously getting knocked off the puck and onto the ice.  He really couldn't compete physically with NHL players.  You could easily make the argument he could have been helped with a year in the Moose.  However, the Jets were razor thin on forward depth at the time.  We aren't anymore.

Scheifele and Ehlers were also top 10 picks.  Connor was 17, and while he probably should have gone a little earlier, he definitely wasn't a top 10.  Picks outside the top 10 drop for a reason, sometimes talent, sometimes late bloomers, sometimes need more time.

Besides all that, every player is different, so these comparisons are silly.  Connor's play will decide where he goes, not any comparables.

You keep going off here how Connor is a lock to make the team when we've never even seen him play against NHL players.    Training camp will ultimately decide where he plays.

The Jets have never been in the position they are this year with the depth and young talent at forward.  It is going to be a dog fight in training camp for a bunch of players, Connor included.  

An interesting read from the illegal curve guys on some lineup possibilities:

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2016/7/7/12094304/free-agent-fallout-looking-at-the-winnipeg-jets-forward-corps

From their take, if Connor is in the lineup, then  Burmi and Armia are in the press box.  Peluso I think is a for sure to be with the Moose.  Copp would also be with the Moose.  

From some of the rumours you hear swirling about under the table guarantees for NHL money in their first year for NCAA guys to sign in the NHL, I think there is a real possibility Connor is with the Jets this year.

And there is no question he has the offensive skill to be playing in the NHL, but because of his size, I really would prefer to see him playing with the Moose to at least start the year and adjust to the pro game.

With the new HC for the Moose, there might be both a greater confidence in having the kids develop there and a desire to provide the Moose with better players too.  I hope Connor makes the Jets because it means he's good enough.  But nothing wrong with being the top player for the Moose and learning to score and win.

This is a good problem that this club has to deal with... I much prefer that we have an overload of young talent and our difficulties is finding a spot on the team for them.... rather then the Thrashers mentality of put the guy on the ice and hope and pray that he turns out ok and that he can produce like a vet.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

With the new HC for the Moose, there might be both a greater confidence in having the kids develop there and a desire to provide the Moose with better players too.  I hope Connor makes the Jets because it means he's good enough.  But nothing wrong with being the top player for the Moose and learning to score and win.

Not much confidence do I have in the new Moose coach. Anyone else?

10 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Willing to give him a shot.  Not sure all the criticism he got as assistant coach for the Jets was necessarily warranted.  We'll see.

Well he was responsible for special teams and we near the bottom on both sides.

He also had Buff/Trouba playing opposite sides :@

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

17 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Well he was responsible for special teams and we near the bottom on both sides.

He also had Buff/Trouba playing opposite sides :@

The special teams sucked before he even got here..  Ultimately it's the players who are responsible.  Like I said, I'm willing to give him a shot.

don't get me wrong I don't want to see anyone make the team if they shouldn't. As far as never having seen him play against NHL players before I could argue that you've never seen him play against NHL players before either so what makes you think he won't make the team? Also besides all the skills he has most analysts say he has lots of lower body strength. The guy can pass shoot skate Like the Wind and supposedly has a very high hockey IQ. Besides his size which I believe is about 6 feet and 180 pounds why do you not think he will make the team? He'll have to have a very very good training camp to make the team because it can be sent down where are some players like burmistrov and armia need to clear waivers but I am confident that he plays at least 60 games for the Jets this year and wouldn't be surprised at all if he starts with the Jets and is never sent to the AHL ever. As a matter of fact that's what I see happening in my opinion.

19 minutes ago, Ducky said:

don't get me wrong I don't want to see anyone make the team if they shouldn't. As far as never having seen him play against NHL players before I could argue that you've never seen him play against NHL players before either so what makes you think he won't make the team? Also besides all the skills he has most analysts say he has lots of lower body strength. The guy can pass shoot skate Like the Wind and supposedly has a very high hockey IQ. Besides his size which I believe is about 6 feet and 180 pounds why do you not think he will make the team? He'll have to have a very very good training camp to make the team because it can be sent down where are some players like burmistrov and armia need to clear waivers but I am confident that he plays at least 60 games for the Jets this year and wouldn't be surprised at all if he starts with the Jets and is never sent to the AHL ever. As a matter of fact that's what I see happening in my opinion.

Because that is the way the world works.  You are going to be wrong more times than not if you believe that someone can do something they have never done before.  Especially a 19 year old kid.

Any other year of the Jets tenure, I’d agree that Connor was going to be a lock to make the Jets, but when you look at the depth of young players we have lining up for limited roster spots AND throw in the fact that we got to draft the 2nd overall pick who happens to play the same position as Connor, to me it puts doubt on the whole situation. 

You are either going to move one of them to the RW and have two rookies on your 3rd line, or you are going to have a raw rookie in your top 6 to start the year. I’d prefer to see a young first year NHL player more sheltered to start the year then putting the expectations of having him in your top 6. 

Let them earn that spot.

Difference of opinions on this 19 year old I guess.

USHL player of the year and then goes out the next year and blows the doors off of ALL the competition in the NCAA. The fact he didn't win the Hobey Baker award is a travesty and if Eichel hadn't won it the year before as a rookie, Connor would have won it. He will get 15+ goals if he plays the full season.

Laine Little Wheeler

Connor Scheif Ehlers

lines to finish the season and everyone is playing his position.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler

Laine - Little - Stafford

Connor - Perreault - Armia

Matthias - Lowry - Burmi

With Copp and Thorburn in reserve?  Stranger things have happened, I could see it.

I could see that happening also. 

I could also see Connor being sent down to the Moose to at least start the year and perhaps that 3rd line becomes Perreault Copp Armia.

I could also see Dano on the team over Burmi 

5 hours ago, Ducky said:

Difference of opinions on this 19 year old I guess.

USHL player of the year and then goes out the next year and blows the doors off of ALL the competition in the NCAA. The fact he didn't win the Hobey Baker award is a travesty and if Eichel hadn't won it the year before as a rookie, Connor would have won it. He will get 15+ goals if he plays the full season.

Laine Little Wheeler

Connor Scheif Ehlers

lines to finish the season and everyone is playing his position.

Well I watched him get netralized and physically dominated by UND in the playdowns. He was down right overpowered.

Connor had a great season but it was in arguably the weekest conference in college hockey in the last 10 years.

Don't get me wrong he will be a beauty one day. The Jets have players in the system that in my opinion are futher in their devleopment then Connor is. Petan Dano Armia are three of them.

On 8/24/2016 at 3:54 PM, Atomic said:

Matthias - Lowry - Burmi

With Copp and Thorburn in reserve?  Stranger things have happened, I could see it.

I think this is VERY close to what Maurice ices but I don't think Copp is in the PB.

9 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think Dano makes the team.  I think hes the type of player they like in the bottom six.  Works hard, tenacious.  Score a couple here and there.  probably better than Burmi all things considered.

I really like Dano but I feel like he's going to get shafted.  If it were up to me, we'd keep Dano instead of Armia.

Half torn on DANO, cuz more than likely, unless we trade a D man and only protect 3, It's like that one of Armia,Lowry or Dano will be lost to THE Desert Knights i mean, Las Vegas.... and I'd bet that theres a very real chance that player we lose is Dano, so if the Jets feel the same, yeah I could see him spending the entire year in the AHL... If not, perhaps he makes the team.. I don't know, I think he's a very good player, I think he's better than Armia and he's better than Thorburn and he's probably even better than Lowry and maybe even Burmi... him and Burmi sure looked good together tho last year at the end... but... because, like Connor, he CAN be sent down without waivers, perhaps they do send him to the Moose. I dunno. Some young guys won't make the team this year, some definitely will, IMO, the guys who can be sent down to the Moose (Dano,Copp,Connor) are guys that most likely would be sent to the Moose, (Petan also). 

Just because, I'm not convinced that the Jets are quite ready to compete yet, certainly not with Pavelec in net. 

On 8/24/2016 at 3:54 PM, Atomic said:

Matthias - Lowry - Burmi

Laine – Scheifele – Wheeler
Connor – Little – Ehlers
Stafford – Perreault – Lemieux
Dano – Matthias – Armia