2016 Lines

On ‎2016‎-‎07‎-‎28 at 10:47 AM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Isn't Trouba/Buff a given? I disagree with it but that's seems to be what everyone saying.

Course Trouba not given either.

I'm certain PoMo said that they will be paired up together, at least to start the year. Said so during the mini-camp, I believe.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2016/8/17/12515556/the-sleeper-must-awaken

This guy seems to think that Armia should be RW and Laine on LW on the same line......I think a Laine Little Armia line would  be very good as you have two that are very D minded while all are O minded...this would be an interesting lineup...

E-S-W

Laine- Little- Armia

Connor- MP- Dano

Matthias -Lowry- Staf/Thorbs

we'll probably see...

ESW

Laine Little Staf

Connor Perreault Armia/Dano

Burmi Lowry Dano/Armia

Thorbs----->Pressbox

10 hours ago, Ducky said:

If he isn't on the roster, his goals will more than be replaced by Laine.

We've also lost Ladd's 20-25 goals.  So Laine is expected to replace 40-45 goals between Ladd and Stafford's absence?  Not high expectations at all... or wait, are we expecting Armia to pot 20+ as well?  :lol:  Now that's a laugh and a half.

Those goals (Ladd 17g by the way) will be more than replaced by Ehlers' scoring more and Laine's and Connor's goals. Yes, Armia has to score more this year too. If Dano makes the team, he will also help in the goal scoring department. Also, I expect our PP to produce more so there will be more goals to be had there as well.

You don't think Connor and Laine along with the more goals from Ehlers, Armia and Dano will make up the 38g we would lose? Armia and Dano had 4 a piece and Ehlers had 15. Those three will score more than a combined 23g this year I am sure.

Expectations seem to be high for a team with a ton of youth on it. 

I mean, If Connor has a similar year that Ehlers had last year, that's a good year, same for Laine, Yeah they both have natural goal scoring abilities but they are gonna be rookies, rookies have good games, they have bad games, they have good stretches, they have bad stretches, This idea that Laine and Connor can replace Ladd plus Staffords goal scoring is far fetched, They will be ROOKIES. Lower the expectations a wee bit here, who was the last Rookie to put up 25 30 goals? I honestly can't even remember, it just doesn't happen these days very often. Armia on the second line is definitely LOL... not a chance, he's a third or 4th liner for sure... the hype Armia has gotten is just... I don't get it actually, is he a good player? sure... has he shown the ability to put up points tho? Not really... not at all actually, Armia played twice as many games with the Jets than Dano did, they each had 4 goals a piece, Dano is more of a top 6 candidate than Armia is and it's not even close. 

Surely tho, one of these line combos will be right, because pretty much every possible combo has been mentioned now... but it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see these line combo predictions all be dead dead wrong...

But since this is the thread... what the heck right?

Ehlers Scheif Wheeler

Laine Little Stafford

Connor Perreault Armia

Matthias Lowry Dano

No Burmi, No Thorburn, No Peluso.. No Lemieux. Thorburn in the Press Box since Lemieux is probably better served playing actual minutes with the Moose.

Wouldn't shock me tho if Connor starts with the Moose also, just because he can... and despite what maybe 1 or 2 people might think, The Jets aren't gonna be playoff contenders this year either, Do i hope they are? Sure, But reality is, with so much youth in the lineup, it looks to be one more  year of developing and that's fine. I think next season is the year they will be ready to compete for a playoff spot. This year? Unless Pavelec isn't the starting goalie and unless all the young guys step up and have seasons to remember, i don't see it happening. 

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

Those goals (Ladd 17g by the way) will be more than replaced by Ehlers' scoring more and Laine's and Connor's goals. Yes, Armia has to score more this year too. If Dano makes the team, he will also help in the goal scoring department. Also, I expect our PP to produce more so there will be more goals to be had there as well.

You don't think Connor and Laine along with the more goals from Ehlers, Armia and Dano will make up the 38g we would lose? Armia and Dano had 4 a piece and Ehlers had 15. Those three will score more than a combined 23g this year I am sure.

Lol.  Yes, every player is going to improve, all the rookies will be successful, and the PP is going to be awesome.  Unfortunately reality gets in the way.

I didn't say Laine and Connor would put up 40 goals, I said Laine and Connor along with the extra goals Ehlers, Armia and Dano will score will make up the 38 goals it they will do it easily. I think Laine and Connor will score 30 between them.

I don't think they will make the playoffs and if they do, it will be by just getting in. Let's not forget that Scheif will probably up his points this year as well.

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

Expectations seem to be high for a team with a ton of youth on it. 

I mean, If Connor has a similar year that Ehlers had last year, that's a good year, same for Laine, Yeah they both have natural goal scoring abilities but they are gonna be rookies, rookies have good games, they have bad games, they have good stretches, they have bad stretches, This idea that Laine and Connor can replace Ladd plus Staffords goal scoring is far fetched, They will be ROOKIES. Lower the expectations a wee bit here, who was the last Rookie to put up 25 30 goals? I honestly can't even remember, it just doesn't happen these days very often. Armia on the second line is definitely LOL... not a chance, he's a third or 4th liner for sure... the hype Armia has gotten is just... I don't get it actually, is he a good player? sure... has he shown the ability to put up points tho? Not really... not at all actually, Armia played twice as many games with the Jets than Dano did, they each had 4 goals a piece, Dano is more of a top 6 candidate than Armia is and it's not even close. 

Surely tho, one of these line combos will be right, because pretty much every possible combo has been mentioned now... but it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see these line combo predictions all be dead dead wrong...

But since this is the thread... what the heck right?

Ehlers Scheif Wheeler

Laine Little Stafford

Connor Perreault Armia

Matthias Lowry Dano

No Burmi, No Thorburn, No Peluso.. No Lemieux. Thorburn in the Press Box since Lemieux is probably better served playing actual minutes with the Moose.

Wouldn't shock me tho if Connor starts with the Moose also, just because he can... and despite what maybe 1 or 2 people might think, The Jets aren't gonna be playoff contenders this year either, Do i hope they are? Sure, But reality is, with so much youth in the lineup, it looks to be one more  year of developing and that's fine. I think next season is the year they will be ready to compete for a playoff spot. This year? Unless Pavelec isn't the starting goalie and unless all the young guys step up and have seasons to remember, i don't see it happening. 

Actually, rookies scoring 25-30 goals are not that rare - there are a few every year. From  a quick check on NHL.com stats, 2015-2016 rookies who scored 25-30 goals (or close to it)

Artemi Panarin 30 goals

Jack Eichel 24 goals

Connor McDavid 16 goals in 45 games (extrapolates to 29 goals in 82 games)

Dylan Larkin 23 goals

Sam Reinhart 23 goals

2014-2015 rookies:

Johnny Gaudreau 24 goals

Mark Stone 26 goals

Filip Forsberg 26 goals

Mike Hoffman 27 goals

Anders Lee 25 goals

Edited by bb.king

15 minutes ago, bb.king said:

Actually, rookies scoring 25-30 goals are not that rare - there are a few every year. From  a quick check on NHL.com stats, 2015-2016 rookies who scored 25-30 goals (or close to it)

Artemi Panarin 30 goals

Jack Eichel 24 goals

Connor McDavid 16 goals in 45 games (extrapolates to 29 goals in 82 games)

Dylan Larkin 23 goals

Sam Reinhart 23 goals

2014-2015 rookies:

Johnny Gaudreau 24 goals

Mark Stone 26 goals

Filip Forsberg 26 goals

Mike Hoffman 27 goals

Anders Lee 25 goals

So... 1 last year and 4 the year before, in the entire league.  Ya, that qualifies as rare, actually... never mind the fact that most of your 'rookies' are 22-26 years old... which Laine and Connor aren't.

20 minutes ago, Atomic said:

So... 1 last year and 4 the year before, in the entire league.  Ya, that qualifies as rare, actually... never mind the fact that most of your 'rookies' are 22-26 years old... which Laine and Connor aren't.

I was only responding to the point of "when was the last time a rookie scored 25-30 goals". And there have been several in the last two years, and several others that came very close, missing by one or two goals.  And if McDavid hadn't missed half a season he very likely would have done it. Whether any Jets rookie will, that I don't know. Now,  if you're expecting 35 goals from a rookie, that's very rare in today's NHL. 

19 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Where are you getting your stats from? Are they in metric? One 23 year old, one 24 year old, and one 25 year old.

Larkin 19

Gaudreau 21

Eichel 18

McDavid 18

Panarin 23

Stone 21

Reinhart 19

Forsberg 20

Hoffman 25

Lee 24

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

Where are you getting your stats from? Are they in metric? One 23 year old, one 24 year old, and one 25 year old.

Larkin 19

Gaudreau 21

Eichel 18

McDavid 18

Panarin 23

Stone 21

Reinhart 19

Forsberg 20

Hoffman 25

Lee 24

Balderdash!  If 23 goals counts as 25-30, then 23 years old is pretty much 26, right?

Laine probably has the best chance to score 25 goals because he is a goal scorer .. will he? Maybe. Maybe not. More than likely not tho because he's a rookie. He's going to be a very good player and so will Connor and even Ehlers but you know what? It takes a while to be a very good player. 

I wouldn't put ridiculous expectations on Laine or Connor... they are kids... they have some maturing and growing to do still... I guess you can say... they are just boys still playing against men. Look at Scheif .. he needed a couple years to really find his stride... it's gonna take Laine Connor and for that matter Ehlers a couple years to do the same 

I'm not sure I'd Lol @ Laine scoring 25 tho... it's possible. He's pretty much a once in a generation talent from Finland so who knows. 

If Connor puts up 15... that will be a good season for him. 

Why should we replace stafford tho? I mean... he's a 20 goal guy and if the kids ain't ready for a top 6 role... Stafford is there. He's a good 1 year stop gap. 

It's not even all about scoring goals tho... it's about being responsible in both ends of the ice. .. Laine pretty much is but like Ehlers last year... Connor will be learning to play D on the ice. 

Lower the expectations. It's better to be surprised than disappointed 

Edited by Goalie

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

It's not even all about scoring goals tho... it's about being responsible in both ends of the ice. .. Laine pretty much is but like Ehlers last year... Connor will be learning to play D on the ice.

Yep, no value in a player that puts up 25 goals but costs the team 30. 

If Laine scores 25, it's because he plays top minutes all season and the PP. 

If it was up to me stafford Burmi Thorburn Stuart Pavelec Peluso would all not be on the team this season but it's not... so therefore pavelec Stuart thorburn stafford Burmi will be on the team this year. 

I doubt they trade anyone before the season starts. It's 1 more year of development for sure. Then next season when pavelec thorburn stafford Burmi aren't here cuz their contracts expired... Jets will start to be playoff contenders. I'd expect that by Laine and Connors last year of their ELC that this team should be a legit playoff team but that's 2 years away still.... we will see what happens but I'd honestly suspect that we struggle this season... I think a few players will have very good years but I think because we are still very young that growing pains plus a combo of pavelec in net probably equals a lottery pick next season 

I see a lot of folks thinking Connor will be with the big club this season. I see him playing most of the season with the Moose in his first year as a pro. He has the speed and skill to in the nhl but his defensive game and especially his board play is nowhere near ready for the nhl. Think he will be on a line with Staford? I dont see it. You put those two and Stuart on the ice at the same time are we would never have the puck. If he couldn't keep the puck while in the neutral zone against UND how will he manage against the Blues? He needs time in the A...atleast till the trade deadline. Come deadline time Shove Staford out the door move Ehlers back to his natural wing and slide Laine into Ehlers old spot and Connor into Laine's. Now we have room on the Jets lineup for the kid.

Edited by MyDogHasScheifeles

5 minutes ago, MyDogHasScheifeles said:

I see a lot of folks thinking Connor will be with the big club this season. I see him playing most of the season with the Moose in his first year as a pro. He has the speed and skill to in the nhl but his defensive game and especially his board play is nowhere near ready for the nhl. Think he will be on a line with Staford? I dont see it. You put those two and Stuart on the ice at the same time are we would never have the puck. If he couldn't keep the puck while in the neutral zone against UND how will he manage against the Blues? He needs time in the A...atleast till the trade deadline. Shove Staford out the door move Ehlers back to his natural wing and slide Laine into Ehlers old spot and Connor into Laine's. Now we have room on the Jets lineup for the kid.

I totally agree with this.  The minute we moved up in the draft and were able to draft Laine,  Connor's chances of starting with the Jets went way down.  

9 hours ago, Ducky said:

Now you want Staf on the team? Hard to keep track.

Most analysts are calling for Laine to get 25+ goals.....Ehlers scored 15 last year so I'd expect Connor to get about the same amount or so.

Connor will not make this team. He will be a Moose. No reason to rush him and stunt his growth. He needs to learn to be a two-way, professional.

They didn't have that option with Ehlers.