2016 Lines

God. People are setting up Laine to fail already?  Saying he's gonna make an immediate impact? Cmon. Thought people were smarter than this. He will be a first year pro who like ehlers this year will have his ups and downs. He's a good player but he will have his ups and downs. Stop hyping him. You also know there is this chance that we don't take Laine right?  Stop pretending he's a Jet right now. He's not and until it's draft day not sure any of us should be assuming he's a Jet. Toronto could take him or we could take Puljujarvi. I'm all for hyping him but he's not a Jet at the moment. I'm annoyed at leaf fans hyping Matthews as the second coming. I don't want to be annoyed with jet fans for doing the same to Laine. 

6 in 18? Whatever. Irrelevant. It's been a year. Seriously let it go. He's moved on. The Jets have. @FrostyWinnipeg why can't you? Over a year ago. He makes no difference to the team. He was a rental.  That's all he was. Let Stempniak go. 

Edited by Goalie

Any of the top 3 this year look like they will come in and make an immediate impact.  Having already played against pros will only help.  I'd expect a much better first year out of Laine than Ehlers.  He looks a lot more ready than Ehlers did.  I don't think a 50-60 point season with 20+ goals is out of the question.  Anything less would be disappointing, barring injury.  Is that a high expectation?  Yeah, of course it is.  That's what happens when you have a top pick.  That's why everyone celebrated when we won the draft lottery.  Because everyone expects an immediate impact and that's not unreasonable.

I have high hopes for Laine and what he can produce as a rookie if for no other reason than what he's doing on the PP.  He's quaterbacking a PP unit for a pretty darn good Finnish team as an 18 yr old.... The shot, the pass, the vision...wow. 

Give him a combo of Wheeler, Scheifele, Ehlers, Connor, Buff and watch our PP troubles become a thing of the past.

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

Any of the top 3 this year look like they will come in and make an immediate impact.  Having already played against pros will only help.  I'd expect a much better first year out of Laine than Ehlers.  He looks a lot more ready than Ehlers did.  I don't think a 50-60 point season with 20+ goals is out of the question.  Anything less would be disappointing, barring injury.  Is that a high expectation?  Yeah, of course it is.  That's what happens when you have a top pick.  That's why everyone celebrated when we won the draft lottery.  Because everyone expects an immediate impact and that's not unreasonable.

Ehlers was a year older for his first season in the NHL though. For comparison, Eichel had 56 points as an 18 year old, but 21 of them came on the pp. It's hard to know how much time Laine will be given on the pp. If he's not on our 1st unit it will be hard to match those numbers.

I'd honestly expect Laine to be eased in to the lineup, I'm not sure he's a top 6 guy right off the bat, should he be? Maybe but... will he be? I'm not sure. Think with POMO, you need to show you can be responsible defensively first, Laine is a pretty good defensive player but... he is gonna have to earn POMO's trust, wouldn't shock me if he starts the year on the 3rd line similar to how Ehlers did and struggles a bit, but...eventually he will move up and play with playmakers and will flourish, much like Ehlers did also when he was moved up to play with Scheif and Wheeler... 20 goals? Yeah it's possible for sure, maybe 30, he has one hell of a shot, but... he needs to play with guys who will get him the puck... having him play with Lowry for example, might not be the best thing for his offensive ability, but it might be were POMO starts him. Hard to say...

Personally, I'd love our top 6 to be a combo of Ehlers,Scheif,Wheeler,Perreault,Little,Laine... that's probably our 6 best players... but... at the same time, Lowry and Stafford on a line with Connor is probably not helpful to Connor, Lowry and Stafford can't keep up, Connor is all speed speed speed... It will be interesting to see how POMO has his lines...

It actually might make more sense to put Connor with Scheif and Wheeler and Laine with Little and Ehlers... But who knows what happens. So many options really. 

Assuming we draft Laine, there are decisions to be made.

Left Wing depth is Ehlers, Perreault, Connor, Laine. Something has to give there.

Right Wing Depth is Wheeler, Stafford, Armia, Dano.  Something has to give there too.

Perreault can switch to 3C but then you have Lowry and Copp competing for one center position.  Its possible Connor starts the year with the Moose just by virtue of giving him top line minutes. 

I'd suspect something breaks around training camp.  An extra body or two might be going.  Armia could end up on the Moose with the idea he's the first call up and Ehlers switches to RW.  Regardless, probably the third line will be a third scoring line rather then the first checking line.  And the fourth line should be a very difficult line to play against, even if they arent scoring.

3 hours ago, Jimmy Pop said:

I have high hopes for Laine and what he can produce as a rookie if for no other reason than what he's doing on the PP.  He's quaterbacking a PP unit for a pretty darn good Finnish team as an 18 yr old.... The shot, the pass, the vision...wow. 

Give him a combo of Wheeler, Scheifele, Ehlers, Connor, Buff and watch our PP troubles become a thing of the past.

Speed and skill wouldn't be an issue on that PP that's for sure.

3 hours ago, Jimmy Pop said:

I agree there will be some nice skill to throw over the boards on the PP unit, but Laine combined with the group you've listed means we have too many men on the ice. ? 

51 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Perreault at the year end PC said he was told he'd be playing WING next season, so who knows, that was all before they won the 2nd overall pick. So many things can change. 

Could see Perreault LW on a skilled 3rd line then.  Perreault - Lowry - Stafford (meh) or Perreault - Lowry - Ehlers...step down for Ehlers though.  And Dano is probably better then Stafford.  Perreault - Lowry - Dano is actually a good 3rd line that will control the puck. 

Stafford likely traded...what else can you do with him?  Although he might score 30 playing with some combination of Scheif, Little, Connor, Ehlers, Laine.

Dano actually is a very good player, He's a perfect bottom 6 guy for sure and he has the ability to move up and down the line up also. He goes to the dirty areas, isn't afraid to play the body, goes to the front of the net, His possession numbers were very good. I actually think Dano will be a very good player for sure in the future. 

I'm just gonna go and say this tho, It wouldn't shock me if the Jets passed on Laine and picked Puljujarvi, Yeah he's not a sniper but he can score, he put up a hat trick with a broke finger in his last game at the U18's tourney in Grand Forks... The guy is probably a better all around player than Laine is also. Laine is getting the hype, but Puljujarvi isn't some consolation prize either, he's very good and i actually could see the Jets taking him over Laine because he has a more rounded all around game. I get that it's about potential but... i think Puljujarvi might be a safer pick than Laine, Laine seems like a boom or bust type of pick, Not saying he will be a bust but... Puljujarvi is better defensively and can put up the points too, people need to remember, with Puljujarvi feeding Laine the puck at the World Junior Tourney, Laine doesn't score those goals. I dunno, the more I think about it, the more I get this feeling that the Jets will go with Puljujarvi. Not sure why, but... I just feel he's a Jets type of pick, Strong defensively, has offensive ability also. Better all around player, safer pick. Very strong character and work ethic, all around a very good player. Laine is good but he needs to work on his D game and skating for sure, Puljujarvi is more of a complete player than Laine is. 

ESW... Perreault Little Puljujarvi... That's a nice group. It really is. Jets really can't go wrong with either Laine or Puljujarvi. 

Connor might need some time in the A to bulk up a bit. 

Edited by Goalie

Meh. Not really gonna get to up or down about what happens in games or doesn't happen in games... such a small sample size these games. 

in the end tho, Finland won and Connor didn't play, Day to Day with an injury. 

Aho was benched also and he's very good and plays the PK for the Finns.  It's not so much an eye opener as it was he's 18 years old and they were protecting the lead. That's quite the veteran team there the Finns have, so makes sense to sit the kids when you are trying to protect a lead.

I'm under the impression that this tournament doesn't change anything, It's a small sample size and these scouts have watched these guys play 15 times or more probably all year long, 1 game isn't gonna make or break a guy. 

Edited by Goalie

On 5/9/2016 at 2:43 PM, Noeller said:

Laine ended up being benched for a good chunk of today's game. Bit of an eye opener....still a very young kid.

Actually he didn't end up getting benched...Finland's scheme apparently involves having their two penalty killing teams on the ice near the end of the game when they are up one goal. There were other players who had to sit at the same time.