2016 Playoffs

Ducky

3 minutes ago, bearpants said:

They are apparently "investigating" the situation... I was looking at a gif to hear what he said (apparently it's audible) but the sound wasn't working, needless to say it wasn't hard to read his lips.... most of the words started with F...

His defense that it was heated and he didnt know what he said rings pretty hollow to me.  So in addition to be classless, and possibly a homophobe, he's also a gutless liar.  How about take the opportunity afforded you to man up and apologize.  In fact, the implication that he didnt know what he was saying is even worse.  It means that slur and how he used it is a regular part of his vocabulary. 

Quite honestly, I'd suspend him one game.  The totality of his actions and words were over the line and if Im the NHL, I'd send a harsh message.  But I suspect the NHL will frown on it but not take any formal action.

Put me in the who really gives a crap category. It's sports, things are said.. It happens.

Oh well, and we move on pretty much. I see no reason as a straight male to get offended by any of this type of stuff. 

I do think tho that SHAW should have fessed up and just admitted that he did say what he did say, say I'M SOwwwwy and move on. The fact he couldn't recall, yeah he deserves a fine at least. 

Edited by Goalie

17 minutes ago, Goalie said:

LOL. Coming from a guy who runs a wrestling promotion or whatever, that seems a little out there.  You gonna kick a fan out of the building for calling someone names also? It's funny you pass yourself off as this PC loving, Liberal and NDP hating guy there TUP... but you are crying like a liberal on this one. Fact is, if the tv camera didn't catch it, it's a non issue, fact also is, Anyone who has played a sport in their life has said something somewhat ridiculous in the heat of the moment.  

WHO CARES what he said, did the ref he said it to care? This is like people getting angry at Dave Wheeler all over again... because fact of the matter is, for some reason, people are offended really easily now a days. That's pretty sad. Maybe we should ask the homosexual population what they think? If they were offended by Shaw calling a non homosexual a derogatory term. Like really, These things happen, not sure why it's such a big deal.... oh no, he called him a name.. god forbid, was the ref offended? IS THE ref a homosexual? did he go back to the room and cry or did he just say... forget it, that's hockey? and move on. Lots of things get said in the heat of the moment... However with all that said, the fact that SHAW can't really remember if he said it or not, yeah he should get a pretty huge fine, not for what he said, but for being a lying dumbass... cuz how can you not remember what you said. 

I don't really care what he said, it doesn't offend me, i'm not sure why it would, I'm a straight male and quite honestly, i'm not even convinced it would actually offend a homosexual these days, but.... the fact that he kind of denied saying it, yeah fine him.. Suspension tho? C'MON... a hit from behind where someone could be paralyzed, a guy got  1 game? and you think SHAW should be suspended cuz he mouthed off basically to a non homosexual referee? 

Pretend he called him the N word.  Does your post apply?  Or you just think homophobic slurs are okay? 

What does being a wrestling promoter have to do with Shaw using a homophobic slur?  That's a hilariously transparent attempt to dismiss my opinion in  way unbecoming of someone as well spoken as you.  I dont try to pass myself off as anything.  If I had to explain, I'd say Im a fiscal conservative and a social liberal.

Now that's out of the way...

"Who cares what he said?"  Every single person who finds homophobic slurs offensive would care.  Are you gay?  Do you have any gay people in your life?  Are you able to empathize with people who have been victims because of their sexual orientation?  People have literally been killed because they were gay.  And you think its perfectly acceptable for anyone, let alone someone in the public spotlight to perpetuate this kind of hate-filled language?

Minimizing the word as "just a word" is wrong.  As I said, that logic would then apply to him using any racial slur too.  How about threats?  Are they ok.  They are just words. 

If you dont empathize with the plights of the gay community, that's fine, but then you cant really speak to the issue.  Its like someone saying "I dont see the big deal with the N word", that person is entitled to their opinion but they have no credibility to discuss use of the word.

Do I think Shaw should be drawn & quartered?  No.  Do I think he's a homophobe?  I have no idea.  A friend of mine who is gay has a brother that grew up using "gay" as a negative term. ie. "That's gay".  Ofcourse, when his brother came out, he stopped using it but because it was a part of his vocabulary for so long, he occasionally uses it without realizing it.  And feels terrible for doing so.  Shaw might not be homophobic.  And that's not really the point.  But he used a slur. 

And the NHL should be taking a positive approach to this issue.  Gays *just* gained the right to marry in the US.  This is a current and pressing human rights issue.  And it should be treated as though he dropped an N Bomb.  Fine.  Suspension.  Whatever.  But not "who cares".  That's just so wrong headed.

If you called someone that word here, you'd be censored and at the very least sent a stern warning.  A pro athlete on a national broadcast using the word clearly?  That's deserving of at least as much punishment.

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Really suspend someone over words....  come on now.  

Yeah, no league would ever do that.

Sacramento Kings guard Rajon Rondo’s one-game suspension is the result of Rondo screaming “anti-gay slurs” in Kennedy’s direction in a game Dec. 3. Among the statements Rondo allegedly hurled Kennedy’s way include the point guard screaming “you’re a mother******* ******” and “you’re a ******* ******, Billy.”

Edited by The Unknown Poster

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I've heard many a bad words being thrown around at many sporting events.      Should the NHL suspend each guy who threatens another player?  

So you're telling me that two guys can punch each other in the head and that's ok but calling someone a name is crossing the line?

Just seems really silly to me

Edited by Brandon

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I've heard many a bad words being thrown around at many sporting events.      Should the NHL suspend each guy who threatens another player?  

So you're telling me that two guys can punch each other in the head and that's ok but calling someone a name is crossing the line?

Just seems really silly to me

You think using a homophobic slur is silly?  If he called him an N Bomb would you think it was silly?

And no I dont think guys punching each other in the head is ok.  But fighting being "allowed" has nothing to do with this. 

I think it's in bad taste,  but come on now if you are allowed to physically assault someone then why not allow people to hurl insults at each other. 

My point was that you can bash someones head in physically... but you can't hurt someones feelings?    

I can go on the ice and tell a guy that I'm going to kill him next shift and that I can f him up... but if I call him a homosexual and that's not cool? 

Either let it all go or be consistent and anyone that says anything that's ill mannered to another player should get suspended. 

in bowling we give people high fives, even the other team, I've called my ball and the pins many of things but never another person.  guess good sportsmanship is a lost art

all jokes aside,  I see coaches swear their faces off at refs,  Roy and Maurice come to mind, are they just selective on what swears/comments cross the line?

7 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I think it's in bad taste,  but come on now if you are allowed to physically assault someone then why not allow people to hurl insults at each other. 

My point was that you can bash someones head in physically... but you can't hurt someones feelings?    

I can go on the ice and tell a guy that I'm going to kill him next shift and that I can f him up... but if I call him a homosexual and that's not cool? 

Either let it all go or be consistent and anyone that says anything that's ill mannered to another player should get suspended. 

So you'd have no problem with use of the N word?  Also, he didnt call him a homosexual.

Im not sure the "if they allow this they have to allow that" excuse is a good one.

1 minute ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

in bowling we give people high fives, even the other team, I've called my ball and the pins many of things but never another person.  guess good sportsmanship is a lost art

all jokes aside,  I see coaches swear their faces off at refs,  Roy and Maurice come to mind, are they just selective on what swears/comments cross the line?

Yes.  Ofcourse.  Because different words have different meanings and different heaviness applied to them.  If I say to my gf, mom, boss "you're being a jerk", Im probably not in trouble.  if I say "you're being a real C***", Im in trouble.  This is common sense.  But also not overly relevant here.

This wasnt just a word.  It was a slur.  So if they argument is, well, some slurs are okay, I would argue that is not true.

16 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

You may be onto something here.

Jimmy - hard to imagine this is still a debate.

http://www.tsn.ca/players-have-power-to-turn-shaw-incident-into-a-positive-1.475276

Gary writes in part:

Bruce Springsteen won’t play North Carolina. Neither will Pearl Jam. Bryan Adams took a stand in Mississippi. They put actions and dollars behind their words in support of the rights of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community. One has to wonder if National Hockey League players are willing to do the same.

On Tuesday night, Chicago Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw was twice caught on camera mouthing what appeared to be a homophobic slur. Shaw was asked after the game what he said. Twice he said he couldn’t remember.
Wednesday afternoon, Shaw admitted he’d made a mistake and the Blackhawks released a statement on his behalf.

Shaw’s admission took courage and hopefully marks the beginning of a new era of understanding for him and other NHL players.

There’s really no argument here. There’s no place anywhere in society, and that certainly includes hockey rinks, for racial or homophobic slurs.

13 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

If they give him a game for saying it. Words are the same as nailing a defenceless player from behind into the boards. Not condoning what Shaw said but think about it. 

So if the NHL is awful at handing out reasonable suspensions for violent acts then they shouldnt punish him for using a slur?

Again, and no one wants to answer this, he calls the ref an N Bomb, everyone is still defending him?  Not a chance.  The overwhelming opinion is he was wrong and punishment is in order.  A playoff game suspension?  Thats awfully tough.  But honestly, it wouldnt just be abut Shaw, it would be a message from the league.  Whether thats right or wrong is a different story.  I dont expect him to be suspended though.  But I wouldnt be upset if he was.

This is too important of an issue.  And these slurs are all too common in sports.  Its time it stopped.  And if Shaw is the poster child for the crack down on slurs in sports, so be it.

2 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Not defending him. My comment is more how much of a joke the suspension for hitting Orlov from behind was.

That I can agree with.  But the NHL has long had issues with how it metes out discipline.  Shaw should have been tossed for a game misconduct too but I dont believe he was.  Refs have thick skins.

Lol I can't wait to listen to politically correct trash talk.

So I assume Unknown Poster will call out any Blue fans for suggesting that Rider fans like to inbreed or fornicate with animals?

Because those are equally hurtful words are they not?