Wrestling

Rich

14 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Eddie was unbelievable. And a true gentleman. The 24 hours I got to hang out with him are the highlight of my "career".

Was it mentioned in that documentary that Eddie and Angle nearly got into a shoot?  They were both perfectionists and hot heads.  Always apologized after though. One of the reasons they took the belt off eddie was because he was so intense and took so much pressure upon himself to be the top guy in every regard and they were worried about him

his last match before he died was to be Eddie vs Batista for the title. Different stories have concluded different outcomes but the logical option was Eddie winning the world title. Shame it didn't happen. 

No, it never said it was a shoot. Vickie Guerrero said that they were close friends & really planned out that maatch.

Edited by iso_55

I don't think it was after the WM match. Might have been a match on SD. I can't recall the details but they got into it backstage. More of a pride boiled over thing. Cooler heads prevailed. 

Eddie was an admitted hot head. He was very passionate. I was sitting near the ring for a show when some jerk at WPG arena poured a beer on him and Eddie hopped the barricade and went after him. Then he apologized after the match! 

Edited by The Unknown Poster

On 3/26/2016 at 3:29 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

Eddie was an admitted hot head. He was very passionate. I was sitting near the ring for a show when some jerk at WPG arena poured a beer on him and Eddie hopped the barricade and went after him. Then he apologized after the match! 

I totally remember that show. :lol:

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

All downhill from there. Shane/Taker was great.  Everything else was lousy. THREE Hunter segments??? Good grief. 

Stephanie saying that the Shane/Taker match wasn't important just Hunter's WWE Title match? What?

3 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Stephanie saying that the Shane/Taker match wasn't important just Hunter's WWE Title match? What?

It's almost hilarious how insecure they are to the most obvious detriment of the company. She buried every other match. Just a couple of weeks ago she was cowering at the thought of Shane in charge. 

Just awful. Roman is even less over now since this WM build began. If he was being boo'ed like crazy it would be one thing. But the crowd didn't care about him at all tonight.  They might have even blown their chance to turn him.  

Jericho/Styles is interesting. Kevin Owens is always the best match. But they get second rate treatment so Hunter can have three segments. Insane. And Hunter is a terrible promo at the best of times. 

I noticed yesterday more then before anyways, during HHH's promo with steph that he holds the mic right against his face under his bottom lip, I'm not certain but I think i saw Undertaker do something similar in the opening of the show,  roughly around the time he started talking about WM being his yard and HiaC being his house - and he got a little "shakey" in voice and movement with his non mic holding hand.  Is this a common thing to do with the mic to keep your nerves in check? 

And dont get me wrong, if I was suddenly dropped into WWE as booker today, I'd have Hunter go over Roman at WM.

What they really needed to do last night was have a face to face between Hunter & Shane.  Shane was pretty strong last night.  He looked really good (best shape of his life at 46), cut good promos.  Vince's backstage promo was terrible.  Have Hunter show up instead and hold up the WWE Championship and say this is the biggest stakes.  Shane counters that as important as the title is, HIAC is the bigger stakes because when he wins, on Monday Hunter and Steph are out.  Hunter retorts in a snarky way about Shane being the prodigal son yadda yadda but that when he retains the title, there will be nothing Shane can do about it... he who has the belt, has the power.

To me, that would have linked the two matches a bit and put heat on both.  Plus the money encounter is Shane/Hunter and it teases it.    I guarantee no one was listening to Hunter ramble on after about 30 seconds.

2 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I noticed yesterday more then before anyways, during HHH's promo with steph that he holds the mic right against his face under his bottom lip, I'm not certain but I think i saw Undertaker do something similar in the opening of the show,  roughly around the time he started talking about WM being his yard and HiaC being his house - and he got a little "shakey" in voice and movement with his non mic holding hand.  Is this a common thing to do with the mic to keep your nerves in check? 

Rick Rude always held it right against his chin.  Its probably just experience from two veterans cutting "even" promos to make it easier on the sound guy.  Teaching someone to use a mic is a lost art sometimes...lol  And one of my pet peeves at a show.  Sometimes people hear their own voice and instinctively get quieter or pull the mic away.  Other times, if they get feedback, they pull the mic far away which means the sound person has to increase the volume, meaning more feedback.  Im not expert, just from doing it and I try to explain to people how to speak on a mic and some guys have it, and some guys dont. 

Not sure of any other reason they'd hold the mic in a specific way.  Neither one would have nerves at all, especially last night. 

6 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Yeah, hearing Stephanie say that the other matches on the WM card are meaningless was completely stupid. Then again, just about anything Stephanie says or does now is just stupid.

I recently watched an old shoot interview with Bam Bam Bigelow,  he stated that the McMahons thought process was that everyone is buying a ppv solely for the Main Event and everything else is just considered filler to fill out the show. 

It's probably engrained in her from years of her dad and his mindset.   

Just now, Brandon said:

I recently watched an old shoot interview with Bam Bam Bigelow,  he stated that the McMahons thought process was that everyone is buying a ppv solely for the Main Event and everything else is just considered filler to fill out the show. 

It's probably engrained in her from years of her dad and his mindset.   

And that's not necessarily wrong.  But the psychology of Hunter as a booker is to build people up.  the psychology of Hunter as a worker is to cut everyone's balls off to his own benefit.  Interestingly, last week they pushed HIAC as the "main event", this week they made a point of saying it's the World Championship.

Bam Bam also suggested that no one at all should be booking and wrestling at the same time.  He gave Kevin Nash as the example back in WCW... it never works because of course the booker is going to put himself over and bury everyone else. 

It's a great 3 hour interview I recommend checking it out...  very honest. 

Just now, Brandon said:

Bam Bam also suggested that no one at all should be booking and wrestling at the same time.  He gave Kevin Nash as the example back in WCW... it never works because of course the booker is going to put himself over and bury everyone else. 

It's a great 3 hour interview I recommend checking it out...  very honest. 

I agree with that 100%.  Its the same at every level of wrestling too.  One only need to watch local wrestling where the booker is a wrestler to see that guy or his buddies in top spots.  Not always, but a lot of the time.  Its human nature.  Sometimes it can actually work the other way where a guy puts himself under out of an abundance of caution in not looking like he's booking himself strong.  Flair did this a lot.  He put everyone over, to his own detriment.

Nash was perhaps the worst booker in the history of "top" wrestling.  But the culture of WCW was not to be professional and work hard.  And he epitomized that. 

Being booker can be a tough job.  Steph's vision was to have 50 "bookers".  And now no one is accountable and everyone is afraid to think outside the box, push new ideas or be critical of bad ones because if you have 50 writers, who's going to miss the one that gets fired for not toeing the line?

WWE is hiring writers right now actually.

18 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Same interview....  Bigelow said the best characters / story lines are the ones that the wrestlers come up for themselves.    Feels more natural and plays off the strengths of the guys... I definitely have to agree with that.  

Very much so.  Used to always be the way it was.  Guys developed their gimmicks in the old territories and moved around, tweaking and perfecting them before making it "national".  WWE got into the habit of thinking they could come up with a gimmick and just assign it to anyone.  And it hardly ever works.  Same thing with promos.  Guys reading scripts sounds awful.  Look at Jericho...he sounds different than everyone else because no one writes his promos.