Wrestling

Rich

57 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

There was nothing in that article about the Saudi government only he was going to be gone a few days and was going since WWE was giving $100000 to the local fire and police force.

Yeah there were a couple links but that was the only twitter one and I like the visual of twitter ;-).  The $100,000 from WWE was to help smooth over any political issues Kane might face.  So there was a feeling BEFORE the journalist was murdered that Kane could get some backlash.

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yeah there were a couple links but that was the only twitter one and I like the visual of twitter ;-).  The $100,000 from WWE was to help smooth over any political issues Kane might face.  So there was a feeling BEFORE the journalist was murdered that Kane could get some backlash.

In the big picture a pro wrestling company going to Saudi Arabia and taking their money is nothing compared to how much the Saudis give the USA a year. 

13 hours ago, Goalie said:

In the big picture a pro wrestling company going to Saudi Arabia and taking their money is nothing compared to how much the Saudis give the USA a year. 

I think most people who really dislike this deal are more uneasy over the unabashed praising of the Saudi government and how wonderful the nation is.  If they just went there and did a show, not as big of a deal

But it’s a billion dollar American company doing propaganda. And keep in mind one of the owners of that company is in the Trump admin.  And that company’s big US PR currently is about women’s rights. 

Some business is beginning to take action.  Branson is backing away. There is a business summit or something later this month that might be cancelled.  

WWE is definitely watching this nervously. 

https://www.newsweek.com/wwe-crown-jewel-saudi-arabia-jamal-khashoggi-1166045

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/wwe-faces-criticism-for-upcoming-saudi-arabia-event-amid-investigation-into-activists-disappearance

Note: That's a FOX news story.  FOX who is in bed with WWE for a billion dollars or whatever their huge TV deal is.  All it takes is a Murdoch to dislike the connection, call Vince and this show is over.

Don't get me wrong, I think WWE is likely to go ahead with the show.  They clearly want to.  Its a matter of how their sponsors feel.  It sounds like they've gone silent on twitter about the show and the only mention on their website is under upcoming shows.  They might be taking a "pause".

In the grand scheme of things it doesnt really matter but its an interesting story and since we talk about wrestling here, its why I'm posting.  WWE cant be surprised that they're attracting some fleas when they decided to get in bed with dogs.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Way to much money to cancel the show...   morals/ethics go out the window with that kind of money. 

Because everybody has a price....

tumblr_m8385xXEiT1r270ozo1_250.gif

Unfortunately although Branson is threatening to back out of a billion dollar deal.  $45 million to the WWE is a lot of money but hardly life changing.  It wouldn't change a thing for them to not have it.  And if there was backlash from sponsors (especially their TV partners), they stand to lose a lot more.  Im sure they have a formula in mind where the loss of revenue through backlash and lost sponsors and bad PR makes the profit from doing the show not worth it.  But if they decide the profit is greater than the loss, I dont see them cancelling.

Linda is the wild card due to her working in the admin though.  

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I remember him from NWA wrestling from Vancouver. He was a huge man.  For years, it was shown every Sat afternoon at 1 pm on (then) CJAY TV which is now CTV Winnipeg. Ron Maurier was the host, did the call for the matches & all the interviews. As a kid, I was introduced to such greats as Jonathan, Gene Kiniski, Eddie Mauro, John Tolos. Kinji Shibuya, Dean Ho, Butts Giraud (was still an active Blue Bomber at the time) & Eric Froelich.

Rest In Peace, Don Leo Jonathan. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I remember him from NWA wrestling from Vancouver. He was a huge man.  For years, it was shown every Sat afternoon at 1 pm on (then) CJAY TV which is now CTV Winnipeg. Ron Maurier was the host, did the call for the matches & all the interviews. As a kid, I was introduced to such greats as Jonathan, Gene Kiniski, Eddie Mauro, John Tolos. Kinji Shibuya, Dean Ho, Butts Giraud (was still an active Blue Bomber at the time) & Eric Froelich.

Rest In Peace, Don Leo Jonathan. 

That’s awesome. Before my time. I first watched AWA on CKND Winnipeg.   Rick Martel world champion!

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

That’s awesome. Before my time. I first watched AWA on CKND Winnipeg.   Rick Martel world champion!

That show was on CJAY-TV from about 1968 to 1980 & was taped in Vancouver. I read a bit about that show.. Absolutely no one was allowed to touch Maurier. If any wrestler did ( & it  happened on occasion), the promoter Sandor Kovacs could fire them. That caveat was in Maurier's contract. 

Froelich was one helluva wrestler. He was a former gymnast & he was an original high flyer. He used the ropes as much as he could. Very athletic. The odd thing about him was he wrestled barefoot. They never used him the way they should have. He was small. Maybe 5'10 & 180 lbs soaking wet & he lost almost every match he wrestled. But he was a fan favourite. 

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

WWE has removed the Saudi Show from their calendar of events.  The event page is still up but they removed references to Saudi. No statement though. 

And put back on. Assumption being wwe did some behind the scenes updates to prepare for possible cancellation.  

There is talk they might do it in the UK on the Sunday as they were heading to UL right after Saudi for a tour (raw & SD and house shows). 

But it’s not ideal.  Survivor series seems more likely. But brick and Michaels are doing it because of the massive pay day that isn’t there without the saudi money 

Hope the mods don’t mind the plug. Some of you expressed an interest:

Tickets onsale online at https://pcwtheone.eventbrite.ca and in person at the Travelodge hotel, 20 Alpine Ave.  $20 Advance. $25 at the door (pending availability). 

Doors open 8pm. Bell time: 9pm. Food & liquor service! 18+.

Edited by The Unknown Poster