Wrestling

Rich

Sounds like WWE is using Paul Heyman has a writer now.  Every so often their run sheets get leaked and if legit, this past week, he was listed as a contributor to the opening segment and a later Lashley segment.  Which explains why the opening was much better than usual.  Apparently he was listed as a "Road Writer" but also as a "Home Writer".  Home writers are guys that work from home and will be assigned specific tasks like scripting promos or writing segments and emailing it to their supervisor.

Im guess it would be that he submits creative from home usually but was backstage at Boston so perhaps he will attend TV regularly to write.  Its not so odd since he clearly had a hand in everything involving Brock for awhile.  Also, that UFC segment with Brock and DC smacked off Heyman too.

He previously was Smackdown head writer years ago during the brand split when SD routinely beat RAW in viewership.  He was fired because Steph didnt like him.  He got in trouble for calling into RAW creative team conference calls and listening in and basically treating it like a real competition.  During the awful ECW December to Dismember PPV which WWE altered, he openly complained and mocked the segments to Vince and that was the final straw.

Vince always protected him though.  Always liked him (secretly funded ECW for awhile).

16 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Well ROH is again running MSG as a joint suoershow with New Japan. Wrestlemania weekend. 

They previously said WWE blocked them and threatened legal action.  I guess it worked. 

I heard MSG wanted a PPV and WWE said no cuz rent is high so MSG said **** yall then. 

Just now, Goalie said:

I heard MSG wanted a PPV and WWE said no cuz rent is high so MSG said **** yall then. 

You heard that?  😉

The relationship between MSG and WWE goes back to Vince's grandfather.  The initial speculation was MSG was getting annoyed at WWE going to Barclays for TV and letting ROH (and AAA) book a hold was a way to get WWE's attention.  It worked as WWE and MSG spoke and suddenly the dates weren't avail.  No idea what happened in the interim but ROH did say their lawyers were involved.

Its possible MSG thumbed their nose at WWE but if the deal was simply to run TV or PPV there, they'd probably be able to come to an agreement.  WWE is very, very unhappy about this, you can bet on that.  Not only because it's MSG, but because it's WM weekend (and likely against their own NXT event).

Its par for the course.  Cody tried to talk with Staples about All In and couldnt even get a meeting due to their relationship with WWE.

Its possible WWE didnt like getting drawn into this and with lawyers involved, dropped their opposition.  They've blinked when stared down by ROH before.  You can bet that date will be war...and Kenny and the Bucks just saw their potential contract offers by WWE increase to make sure they arent available.

Same with Bryan actually...He's in an amazing position right now with a contract that expires in a couple months.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Its possible WWE didnt like getting drawn into this and with lawyers involved, dropped their opposition.  They've blinked when stared down by ROH before.  You can bet that date will be war...and Kenny and the Bucks just saw their potential contract offers by WWE increase to make sure they arent available.

Yep.  They are already advertising guys like Okada will be on the show but they cant confirm the Bucks or Kenny.  Those guys are getting a bump in pay regardless of which company they end up signing with.

49 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Yep.  They are already advertising guys like Okada will be on the show but they cant confirm the Bucks or Kenny.  Those guys are getting a bump in pay regardless of which company they end up signing with.

I believe the Bucks's contracts expire at the end of December (I think they are strictly ROH contracts).  Kenny's contract is with New Japan and expires at the end of January (I believe its the day after Rumble because I joked with him that he should insist it expire the day OF the Rumble just to make the internet explode).

If Im New japan & ROH, they HAVE to be trying to lock those guys up ASAP.  The longer they dont, the more indication it is that those guys are willing to listen.  I'd be surprised if Kenny went though.

The opportunity for ROH/New Japan in running MSG is perception.  Right now, a bunch of outlets who wanted WWE TV lost out....generally speaking, Networks felt it was WWE or a bust (no alternative, certainly not Impact).  The increasing popularity of New Japan in the US can open doors.  NJ has a TV deal on AXS, owned by Mark Cuban who has said he wants to see NJ continue to expand.  That's a major advocate.  Plus, ROH is owned by the very very huge TV company, Sinclair. 

If a Network or streaming outlet targets wrestling, there really is no alternative to WWE but New Japan/ROH and its not just a minor league alternative anymore.  There is huge potential growth.  MSG raised their profile big time.

A National US deal with Kenny Omega as the face of the TV on a weekly basis has a lot of potential.  Bucks, Okada, Cody...and it creates a scenario where guys have options.  The Elite said they wanted to change the wrestling world.  They might...

All this talk of WWE wanting to throw big money at guys to come in....anyone watching the PPV last night is reminded of why they've avoided going.  Ugh

Anyway, Hulk Hogan is back.  Supposedly not on RAW and I suspect they want to see if the announcement gets any blowback before he appears.  They're working on a Network special about it (taped his address to the crew last night).

It amazes me that WWE should be the smartest guys in the world and yet, they seem to have such trouble with the creative aspect.  The Tag titles are meaningless (I assume they'll end up with the Revival next, though I'd put them on Drew & Ziggler).  They've killed Asuka dead.  They've managed to make fans cheer the idea of stripping Brock and him never returning (despite the fact they pay him millions of dollars per year to be "special"), they have Owens do an idiotic bump and Braun laughs about losing (how many other sports do wins/losses not matter).  They keep beating Roman trying to make him sympathetic which isnt working because they keep reminding you "its his yard" and he's the top guy.  The book an Iron Man Match which almost always suck when WWE does it and the fans dont care one iota.  Then they book it backwords with the heel being the underdog.

Plus, if Owens/Braun is a cage match so Owens cant run away, why isnt there a roof?  Why are the rules "escape the cage"?  Why put Ellsworth in a Shark Cage above the ring so he cant interfere when, in fact, he does!

Then when fans complain its like 'well dont watch then'.  The problem is, look at their ratings, people are tuning out.  They tease Brock tonight.  The Hogan thing was about getting the word out so people tune in tonight.  They need to pop a rating.  And probably will to a degree.

Vince needs to move aside ASAP.

Im sort of surprised by some of the online push-back to the women's PPV.  Its a good thing.  Although the ham-fisted way WWE handled it is very annoying.  You'd think Steph marched on Washington and got women the vote or something.  They pushed it as the first ever, which it isnt. First for WWE, but LPWA had an all-women's PPV in 1992 and TNA had several taped all-women PPV's.

October 28th, "Evolution", all-women PPV.  Will feature women from all the brands.  They have about 54 women under contract so they have enough and if they want them all on the show (I think they said it would feature 50), expect a battle royale or something.

Women's Tag Team Championship belts are done and in the companies possession.  Steph said they are coming but not yet (implying not on the PPV) but the finals (or final two rounds) on the show would make sense to me but who knows.  They might see it as a big announcement to make AT the PPV.  The belts are said to resemble the men's tag titles with feminized Roman helmets and white straps.

Interestingly, they are scheduled to go back to Saudi Arabia in November and they see the women's PPV as diffusing criticism.  I would think it would increase criticism since the women are featured so much they get their own PPV but still cant go to Saudi?  Other touring acts send women to Saudi (to tremendous backlash unfortunately).   Its weird.

Kenny Omega is the only undefeated participant in New Japan's G1 tournament and attendance is up 12%.  Juice Robinson is 0-3 and has to face Kenny yet so odds are Juice would get the upset victory (Juice has interest from WWE and seems to be appearing on Being the Elite raises that profile so obviously key people in WWE watch it).

Kenny is working with a heel fracture (which is crazy as I busted my heel in a match years ago and it was excruciating).

A promotion called Ring Warriors announced they have a TV show on WGN America.  This has an in-direct Winnipeg twist.  In 2002 when our promotion (PCW) began, we had financial backing by a local businessman (he was made President of PCW).  He was a legit millionaire (didnt end well though).  So every local promotion wanted to try and scoop our money man or feed from the money trough (one promotion offered to sell to us and we were going to buy but he asked for $100,000, which broke down as $10,000 for his promotion and $90,000 for his heart & soul).

Anyway, one of the other locals was a member of the NWA.  The NWA former president Howard Brody was working with guys to create what sounded like a more modern take on the NWA (affiliate promotions) called Ring Warriors.  The local company pitched our money guy saying Ring Warriors was going to be the biggest thing ever and had everything they needed....except money.  And if John (our money guy) would invest, it would be huge.  John was non-committal so they had Dusty Rhodes call him to pitch.  John was so excited the day he came into our offices to say he had a voice mail from Dusty! lol  Fortunately, John declined to invest.

And even Don Callis had a meeting set up with John.  John wanted Don as an adviser but Don hated my then-partner.  The morning of the scheduled meeting, John's building got raided by the RCMP and he cancelled the meeting with Don.  Who knows what would have happened.

Rumours of Rey signing a two-year deal with WWE.  WWE didnt want Rey working All-In so it will be interesting to see what happens there.  And how liberal his deal is (money and dates).  Jericho said earlier this year he'd never work in North America for anyone other than Vince but this week said he'd be open to Impact.  Im not sure that isnt Jericho just being kind to his friends there. He wanted $250,000 to do a show in Winnipeg this year.  But if he is serious, expect an angle on Jericho's cruise where Impact will be working.

There was a show called World Class Revolution that took pace at South Fork Ranch (of Dallas fame) with Charlene Tilton (also of Dallas fame) taking part.  That sounds awesome.

Brian Christopher got busted for a DUI.  Guy is a mess.  We worked with him in Winnipeg and he was super great to work with (he also drinks Long Island Ice teas by the gallon).

ROH is trying to get CM Punk for the big MSG show in April.  Gonna be tough but I wonder if Punk's desire to screw WWE would be the tipping point to him doing it.

Matt Riddle (former UFC) is rumoured to WWE.  He's really good but loves pot and that kept him out of WWE and New Japan for awhile. 

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Oh and WWE announced second quarter results today which were favourable and sent the stock souring.  Its over $84 a share, up from $20 a year ago.  That's not a typo.

Revenues increased 31% to over $280 million.  Operating income over $21 million.  This is for the quarter.

They do have a mystery note of $49 million which many assume is the Saudi money.  So whats interesting is, the full results paint this bright picture of a company awash in profit they cant possibly spend fast enough.  But remove that Saudi money and look at falling attendance, soft ratings, corp costs up, slowing social media numbers...

5 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im sort of surprised by some of the online push-back to the women's PPV.  Its a good thing.  Although the ham-fisted way WWE handled it is very annoying.  You'd think Steph marched on Washington and got women the vote or something.  They pushed it as the first ever, which it isnt. First for WWE, but LPWA had an all-women's PPV in 1992 and TNA had several taped all-women PPV's.

October 28th, "Evolution", all-women PPV.  Will feature women from all the brands.  They have about 54 women under contract so they have enough and if they want them all on the show (I think they said it would feature 50), expect a battle royale or something.

Women's Tag Team Championship belts are done and in the companies possession.  Steph said they are coming but not yet (implying not on the PPV) but the finals (or final two rounds) on the show would make sense to me but who knows.  They might see it as a big announcement to make AT the PPV.  The belts are said to resemble the men's tag titles with feminized Roman helmets and white straps.

Interestingly, they are scheduled to go back to Saudi Arabia in November and they see the women's PPV as diffusing criticism.  I would think it would increase criticism since the women are featured so much they get their own PPV but still cant go to Saudi?  Other touring acts send women to Saudi (to tremendous backlash unfortunately).   Its weird.

Kenny Omega is the only undefeated participant in New Japan's G1 tournament and attendance is up 12%.  Juice Robinson is 0-3 and has to face Kenny yet so odds are Juice would get the upset victory (Juice has interest from WWE and seems to be appearing on Being the Elite raises that profile so obviously key people in WWE watch it).

Kenny is working with a heel fracture (which is crazy as I busted my heel in a match years ago and it was excruciating).

A promotion called Ring Warriors announced they have a TV show on WGN America.  This has an in-direct Winnipeg twist.  In 2002 when our promotion (PCW) began, we had financial backing by a local businessman (he was made President of PCW).  He was a legit millionaire (didnt end well though).  So every local promotion wanted to try and scoop our money man or feed from the money trough (one promotion offered to sell to us and we were going to buy but he asked for $100,000, which broke down as $10,000 for his promotion and $90,000 for his heart & soul).

Anyway, one of the other locals was a member of the NWA.  The NWA former president Howard Brody was working with guys to create what sounded like a more modern take on the NWA (affiliate promotions) called Ring Warriors.  The local company pitched our money guy saying Ring Warriors was going to be the biggest thing ever and had everything they needed....except money.  And if John (our money guy) would invest, it would be huge.  John was non-committal so they had Dusty Rhodes call him to pitch.  John was so excited the day he came into our offices to say he had a voice mail from Dusty! lol  Fortunately, John declined to invest.

And even Don Callis had a meeting set up with John.  John wanted Don as an adviser but Don hated my then-partner.  The morning of the scheduled meeting, John's building got raided by the RCMP and he cancelled the meeting with Don.  Who knows what would have happened.

Rumours of Rey signing a two-year deal with WWE.  WWE didnt want Rey working All-In so it will be interesting to see what happens there.  And how liberal his deal is (money and dates).  Jericho said earlier this year he'd never work in North America for anyone other than Vince but this week said he'd be open to Impact.  Im not sure that isnt Jericho just being kind to his friends there. He wanted $250,000 to do a show in Winnipeg this year.  But if he is serious, expect an angle on Jericho's cruise where Impact will be working.

There was a show called World Class Revolution that took pace at South Fork Ranch (of Dallas fame) with Charlene Tilton (also of Dallas fame) taking part.  That sounds awesome.

Brian Christopher got busted for a DUI.  Guy is a mess.  We worked with him in Winnipeg and he was super great to work with (he also drinks Long Island Ice teas by the gallon).

ROH is trying to get CM Punk for the big MSG show in April.  Gonna be tough but I wonder if Punk's desire to screw WWE would be the tipping point to him doing it.

Matt Riddle (former UFC) is rumoured to WWE.  He's really good but loves pot and that kept him out of WWE and New Japan for awhile. 

Interesting stuff about Ring Warriors/PCW back in the day. I'd love it if someone made a proper documentary about pro wrestling in Winnipeg. I know there's a pretty good one about Tony Condello but there's so many other characters and stories out there. Too bad it takes so long to produce something like that because Winnipeg is getting a ton of attention on wrestling podcasts these days and right now would be a great time to have something ready to release.

@ediger  *maybe* something happening, not Winnipeg per se, but Winnipeg will be apart of it.  I dont think its a secret but its not my place to spill the beans.  I've hinted about it a few times. 

Im still digitizing all my video from over the years and Ive been encouraged to do a monthly podcast where we'd talk about our history.  17 years means we've seen a lot of it.  Though ofcourse, there was a lot before my time too.  If we do the podcast, we'd have it be audio but with a video option (sort like that radio show on Sportsnet) but use our archival footage so you're not just watching us talk but as we discuss people/matches etc, appropriate video is playing.

I've also wanted to turn the archives into a regular internet TV.  30 minutes max...easy to watch.  A regular 2.5 hour live show has enough footage for 3 "weekly TV" shows.  But we didnt tape every show and some of my footage is rough due to the technology of the time (SD) or just dark venues, one camera shoots.  But I think is enough is interesting...and as I was told recently when asked about my archival footage, its actually better that its not pristine as it adds character to "old" footage.  Meh

So yeah I agree...lots of history to be told.  You might even loosely use the idea of Roddy Piper, Chris Jericho and Kenny Omega as the connective tissue of Winnipeg wrestling and then connect the dots with some of the highlights (and low lights) over the years.

I met Nikolai he was a nice dude who truly loved the wrestling business.   Apparently he lived a very clean life style so that would explain why he was able to keep going at his old age. 

Brian Christopher is/was just a hot mess... to hang yourself because of a DUI...  sad stuff

Never had the pleasure of working with Nikolai but he trained under Stu Hart in Calgary.  Most people will remember him from later in his career but he was really good as a heel. 

Worked wirh Brian a couple of times. Once on my own show and once (or twice) for someone else’s Show. 

He was very enthusiastic, fun, easy to work with. A pro to work with it. Very out going in sort of an ADD type of way but enjoyed hanging out with the boys and talking wrestling.  We had a fun conversation about Samoa Joe (he wasn’t a fan). 

He drank Long Island Ice Tea. He loves those. 

He should have been an even bigger star than he was. Ridiculous charisma. Very solid worker. He’s had issues for a long time and it’s a shame he didn’t get the help he needed.  This incident might have been a cry for help.  Very sad.