Wrestling

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://www.chrisd.ca/2023/03/15/chris-jericho-aew-dynamite-winnipeg-honoured/

Local wrestling superstar Chris Jericho is being honoured by the city and province ahead of All Elite Wrestling’s (AEW) inaugural Winnipeg show tonight.

Mayor Scott Gillingham will present Jericho with a special honour at City Hall at 10:30 a.m. The public is welcome to attend, although space is limited.

Jericho will then meet with Premier Heather Stefanson to receive a Queen Elizabeth II Platinum Jubilee Medal (Manitoba). The private afternoon event isn’t open to the public.

Jericho is a hometown name and has accomplished much more than winning wrestling championships. The Westwood-raised athlete is also an actor, musician, bestselling author, podcaster and television personality.

He is best known for his time with the WWE, where he became a six-time world champion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Darren Drozdov, WWE Star Who Was Paralyzed In The Ring, Dead At 54

“There is always another day,” said Drozdov after his accident in 1999. “Just because I’m paralyzed and stuck in a wheelchair doesn’t mean my life is over.”

“Darren, affectionately known as ‘Droz,’ was involved in a tragic ring accident while wrestling for the WWE in 1999 that rendered him a quadriplegic,” his family told the World Wrestling Entertainment organization Friday in a statement.

His family praised the former athlete for maintaining “a championship mindset” for nearly a quarter century. His loved ones added that Drozdov “lived every day to the fullest” before using his words as a testament.

“There is always another day,” Drozdov admirably proclaimed in the past, according to his family. “Just because I’m paralyzed and stuck in a wheelchair doesn’t mean my life is over. I’ve learned to live again, and my life is far from over.”

The New Jersey native reportedly had a brief football career with the New York Jets, Philadelphia Eagles and Denver Broncos from 1993 to 1995. However, his claim to fame as a player came from vomiting on the field during a “Monday Night Football” match.

43 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Darren Drozdov, WWE Star Who Was Paralyzed In The Ring, Dead At 54

“There is always another day,” said Drozdov after his accident in 1999. “Just because I’m paralyzed and stuck in a wheelchair doesn’t mean my life is over.”

“Darren, affectionately known as ‘Droz,’ was involved in a tragic ring accident while wrestling for the WWE in 1999 that rendered him a quadriplegic,” his family told the World Wrestling Entertainment organization Friday in a statement.

His family praised the former athlete for maintaining “a championship mindset” for nearly a quarter century. His loved ones added that Drozdov “lived every day to the fullest” before using his words as a testament.

“There is always another day,” Drozdov admirably proclaimed in the past, according to his family. “Just because I’m paralyzed and stuck in a wheelchair doesn’t mean my life is over. I’ve learned to live again, and my life is far from over.”

The New Jersey native reportedly had a brief football career with the New York Jets, Philadelphia Eagles and Denver Broncos from 1993 to 1995. However, his claim to fame as a player came from vomiting on the field during a “Monday Night Football” match.

i think Droz was injured when D'Lo Brown attempted a powerbomb & it went horribly wrong. A real tragic event. Even though the injury was accidental, it really killed Brown's wrestling career. How could it not have?? Brown having to carry that guilt with him everyday. But Droz had a positive attitude despite the horrible circumstances that happened to him. Rest in Peace, Darren Drozdov. 

Yesterday, during the Men's MITB Ladder Match, an accident happened. Riccochet took Logan Paul off the top rope when perhaps he shouldn't have. Both men fell awkwardly into a table that was strategically placed ringside for that bump. It looked like both men weren't steady enough on the ropes to make that move safely. It just didn't look right. Paul went through the table face first. Pro Wrestling Torch reported yesterday that Logan was injured but it could have been a lot worse as Paul was able to tuck in & protect his head at the last moment.

A match may have moves scripted but accidents can happen. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

• 5 weeks later...

Feds Executed Search Warrant On WWE Boss Vince McMahon, Company Says

Vince McMahon, the boss of World Wrestling Entertainment who recently re-joined the company’s board following sexual misconduct allegations, had his home searched by federal authorities.

McMahon was also served with a federal grand jury subpoena last month, the WWE disclosed Wednesday. The company noted that no charges have been filed yet.

McMahon returned to the board of the WWE several months after he was ousted for allegations of sexual misconduct.

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

Feds Executed Search Warrant On WWE Boss Vince McMahon, Company Says

Vince McMahon, the boss of World Wrestling Entertainment who recently re-joined the company’s board following sexual misconduct allegations, had his home searched by federal authorities.

McMahon was also served with a federal grand jury subpoena last month, the WWE disclosed Wednesday. The company noted that no charges have been filed yet.

McMahon returned to the board of the WWE several months after he was ousted for allegations of sexual misconduct.

It's all part of the endeavor deal. Why you leave that out? In reality Vince just had serious spinal/neck surgery and has been away from WWE since July 21st. 

Edited by Goalie

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I'll be curious if he retires or goes back to the WWE or if they would even want him back?

I doubt they want him back.  I believe he still has a number of people there who really dislike him.

If this was the WCW vs WWE era, I could see it. Both companies would take any chance they got to bury the other but the WWE and AEW don't have that same heated rivalry.

That said, it's wrestling so never say never.  If they feel there's money to be made, a deal might get done.

I think it's a matter of time before he gets atleast 1 more appearance and probably a hall of fame induction. A rumble appearance and a Mania match against cena maybe.  I wouldn't bring him in full time but, I also think he seems to take pro wrestling seriously and perhaps the guys who don't are more of the problem here. 

Story is getting more juicy, apparently their is video footage. 

And I can't believe Tony Khan went on tv saying he was scared for his life.   Way to make pro wrestling and mainly himself look like the biggest wimps.   CM Punk the guy who was mocked for being absolutely embarrassed in the UFC and also for losing fights to wrestlers like Teddy Hart.  The guy  putting Jungle Boy in a head lock equals this guy being terrified?   Yikes I can't imagine how he would of handled being to an ECW show back in the day.      He runs a wrestling company where people are smashing each other in the head with chairs and where everyone is supposedly "tough" and yet a small skirmish in the backstage makes this guy scared for his life.   That's embarrassing.   

Edited by Brandon