Wrestling

Rich

Just found out about Jon Huber. Known in wrestling as Luke Harper in WWE & then Brodie Lee in AEW. Very sad. The WWE just wasted Huber's talent teaming him with with that slug Eric Rowan & making him play second fiddle to Bray Wyatt in the Wyatt Family. Wyatt always has a gimmick & is great on the mic but Lee was the most talented in the ring among those three. RIP Jon Huber.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What is it with WWE booking? Braun Stroman comes back after an absence & demands a challenge for the World Title. So, they book him with Bobby Lashley & he loses. Makes Stroman look weak. Talk about the air going out of the baloon. 

4 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Looks like it will be mostly on commentary with few in ring appearances.

This is a huge catch in more ways than one. I wonder what Vince thinks??? I thought Paul Wight & him were close. Did Wight have his blessings to go or are there bad feelings between them now? 

Who is Paul Wight? 

Sting didn't move the needle.. this guy won't either. Guess WWE didn't think he had much to offer outside the ring. Good for him tho. Big pay for not much work but he's 49 and hasn't draw much In over 10 years. 

My kid liked the big show show tho but has no idea who Paul Wight is. Kind of the problem.

NJPW and TNA don't move the needle either for them cuz their base audience already watches that stuff too. 

I like AEW.. it's ok... I want in to be the WWE alternative not WWE 15 years ago... Can't wait for 50 yr old Show vs 50 year old Shaq tho.. it's happening

Edited by Goalie

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

Who is Paul Wight? 

Sting didn't move the needle.. this guy won't either. Guess WWE didn't think he had much to offer outside the ring. Good for him tho. Big pay for not much work but he's 49 and hasn't draw much In over 10 years. 

My kid liked the big show show tho but has no idea who Paul Wight is. Kind of the problem.

NJPW and TNA don't move the needle either for them cuz their base audience already watches that stuff too. 

I like AEW.. it's ok... I want in to be the WWE alternative not WWE 15 years ago... Can't wait for 50 yr old Show vs 50 year old Shaq tho.. it's happening

I don't know, man. I think if Jay White and the Guerrillas of Destiny suddenly showed up on Dynamite,  that would be a very big deal.

AEW is clearly Tony Khan trying to relive 1997 WCW memories....  

Paul Wight was an attraction because he was a big tall dude... it wasn't because of his personality and promo skills.  So if he's not wrestling then what's the point? 

Edit * It appears that he will be getting in the ring to wrestle *  So not a terrible signing.  

Sting has to be over 60 and really the "crow" gimmick ran it's course long long time ago,  he as well is a dull promo and at his old age it's not very believable that he's going to whoop someones ass. 

If they want to gain attention and viewers then why not throw a tonne of cash at Steve Austin,  he can still cut a helluva promo and physically he's not detoriated so that at least it is plausible watching him punch out the young guys and tossing them out of a ring.    

Edited by Brandon

57 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Paul Wight was an attraction because he was a big tall dude... it wasn't because of his personality and promo skills.  So if he's not wrestling then what's the point? 

Sting has to be over 60 and really the "crow" gimmick ran it's course long long time ago,  he as well is a dull promo and at his old age it's not very believable that he's going to whoop someones ass. 

If they want to gain attention and viewers then why not throw a tonne of cash at Steve Austin,  he can still cut a helluva promo and physically he's not detoriated so that at least it is plausible watching him punch out the young guys and tossing them out of a ring.    

I don't think Austin can wrestle anymore as his neck is still messed up. 

11 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't think Austin can wrestle anymore as his neck is still messed up. 

Sting has an even worse neck and is half the size of Austin and he apparently is willing to step in the ring.  

I wasn't thinking Austin would be a wrestler,  he'd make more sense as an on air personality who can kick the **** out of some people when need to without taking any bumps.    Austin on the mic is gold....  Sting/Big Show on the mic is blaaaaa

15 hours ago, Brandon said:

Edit * It appears that he will be getting in the ring to wrestle *  So not a terrible signing.  

It's hard to even grasp what the Aew naysayers even want. They push new guys and people ***** that they're nobodies.  They sign established vets and people say they're trying to recreate the past.  

3 hours ago, Goldkobra said:

It's hard to even grasp what the Aew naysayers even want. They push new guys and people ***** that they're nobodies.  They sign established vets and people say they're trying to recreate the past.  

The ratings clearly show that they are catering to the small niche of fans who like that style,  but if they ever want to grow then they need to do the following: 

• Hire a real booker,  Tony Khan is terrible and never let him on screen ever again.  Him trying to force muscles on that Impact commercial was embarassing. The shows and the angles they use are laughable bad and so inconsistent and amateurish.  
  • Use the veterans in a realistic manner and try to come up with something new.  Sting is dirt old no one thinks he can kick anyones ass anymore and the Crow gimmick grew old even back in WCW.  Why can't Sting have a new gimmick and simply lead a group rather then get physically involved. They have all those old guys (Jim Ross, Arn, Tully, Jake) who could easily help them create good angles and promos and can give advice on how to piece together a solid match... yet they clearly are not listening to them. 
  • Cut at least 33% of the roster with all the crap wrestlers like Marko Stunt, Luther, Joey Janela.  Their are a tonne of great indie workers looking for work that are a million times more presentable then the crap they have shown. 
  • Get Omega a promo coach, his promos suck for the North American market.  With his look and ability he should of been skyrocketed to the top like a prime Shawn Micheals. This has not happened yet.  Actually get everyone a promo coach, all of the promos on the show are absolutely atrocious.  The promos are not funny at all and the acting is so wooden and not believable at all. 
  • What made classic WCW/ECW/WWE great in the late 90's was that they had great talent from top to bottom who could all wrestle.  The stuff with Benoit,  Storm,  Malenko,  Jericho (pre getting fat and before he was a racist),  Guerrero all of their matches were must watch.   They didn't simply have a bunch of tiny under sized guys doing the same flips over the top of the rope in every single match.    
  • Try to cater to a slightly older audience then 10- 14 year old boys,  they don't have to go full extreme ECW but they could at least try to make it interesting for adults.  

Edited by Brandon

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

The ratings clearly show that they are catering to the small niche of fans who like that style,  but if they ever want to grow then they need to do the following: 

• Hire a real booker,  Tony Khan is terrible and never let him on screen ever again.  Him trying to force muscles on that Impact commercial was embarassing. The shows and the angles they use are laughable bad and so inconsistent and amateurish.  
  • Use the veterans in a realistic manner and try to come up with something new.  Sting is dirt old no one thinks he can kick anyones ass anymore and the Crow gimmick grew old even back in WCW.  Why can't Sting have a new gimmick and simply lead a group rather then get physically involved. They have all those old guys (Jim Ross, Arn, Tully, Jake) who could easily help them create good angles and promos and can give advice on how to piece together a solid match... yet they clearly are not listening to them. 
  • Cut at least 33% of the roster with all the crap wrestlers like Marko Stunt, Luther, Joey Janela.  Their are a tonne of great indie workers looking for work that are a million times more presentable then the crap they have shown. 
  • Get Omega a promo coach, his promos suck for the North American market.  With his look and ability he should of been skyrocketed to the top like a prime Shawn Micheals. This has not happened yet.  Actually get everyone a promo coach, all of the promos on the show are absolutely atrocious.  The promos are not funny at all and the acting is so wooden and not believable at all. 
  • What made classic WCW/ECW/WWE great in the late 90's was that they had great talent from top to bottom who could all wrestle.  The stuff with Benoit,  Storm,  Malenko,  Jericho (pre getting fat and before he was a racist),  Guerrero all of their matches were must watch.   They didn't simply have a bunch of tiny under sized guys doing the same flips over the top of the rope in every single match.    
  • Try to cater to a slightly older audience then 10- 14 year old boys,  they don't have to go full extreme ECW but they could at least try to make it interesting for adults.  

Tony Kahn doesn't do all the booking and they do utilize other mote experienced guys like Arn and Jericho, Dustin, Cody and QT Marshall help out as well. Jericho talks about this on various podcasts of his. I do agree there is room to get a lot better though.  They like to give guys creative freedom and give them the chance to get over on their own. But some guys just need help and there is no two ways about it.  Shawn Spears is a perfect example.  He's the total package but can't seem to find a way to connect with the audience. Disagree with you about marko stunt and joey janela. People love them, over is over. They might not be everyone's cup of tea, but its not like they're being booked in the title picture. They're generally squash guys. Someone has to do the job.

Agreed about the whole same spot fest thing. And it will change. Jericho and jim ross have both mentioned it on their podcasts.  Recently, Jericho finished a segment and went to the back and bitched about things being too similar. I think it was when they added mjf to the inner circle and right before dark order or team taz, i forget which,  had the exact same segment adding a new member.  

3 hours ago, Goldkobra said:

Disagree with you about marko stunt and joey janela. People love them, over is over. They might not be everyone's cup of tea, but its not like they're being booked in the title picture. They're generally squash guys. Someone has to do the job.

Agreed about the whole same spot fest thing. And it will change. Jericho and jim ross have both mentioned it on their podcasts.  Recently, Jericho finished a segment and went to the back and bitched about things being too similar. I think it was when they added mjf to the inner circle and right before dark order or team taz, i forget which,  had the exact same segment adding a new member.  

A very small minority of people would like them.  I could (can) not stand the ICP but they still have "a" following which doesn't mean that they are popular with the overall potential audience.   Airing Marko Stunt and his midget frame on TV as being competitive with legit wrestlers may please one fan for every five fans that look at it and laugh and then instantly change the channel because it's a joke.  It reminds me of terrible backyard wrestling that tried to be extreme and would try to do Japanese death matches.  Some people (not I) would totally love watching people getting wrecked by barbed wire and light tubes.... but the vast majority of casual and even hardcore wrestling fans would not watch it.  

Jericho shouldn't even be employed based on his anti-COVID and pro Trump and being associated with the Capitol hill incident.  Either way I tried watching AEW at a few different points and it reminds me of really bad local wrestling shows. Usually a few good spots,  many bad spots and a couple of absolutely terrible spots.  They really have no excuses with the money backing them on why they can't put on way better matches.   I had watched TNA in the mid 2000's and they did a much better job of putting on good matches (X Division) and adding more high flying moves without going overboard. 

On AEW every time I watch they have some 150 - 170 pound guy trying to do be a video game type wrestler that only hits high spots (botching more then half of the time) and can't do basic  wrestling moves.  It gets real old watching a group of people look at each other and clump together outside the ring only for a little guy to jump over and botch his over the top rope move and everyone still selling it.  And getting back to the promos and out of ring scenes.... absolutely atrocious and that's coming from someone who had to watch an old lady give birth to a hand.  

Everything reminds me of when I used to go to bad local wrestling shows in which their always is a dedicated fan base who goes to every show and any casual or new person watching is turned off instantly because it's laughable bad. Being a former big time wrestling fan it's clear as day that the show is being ran by the inmates and that the end result is a money mark putting on a terrible end product. No way in he** would Jim Ross script the show how it is right now. Jim Ross is happy that a money mark is dumping boat loads of money on his lawn and going along with it as long as they keep throwing money at him.  

On 2021-02-24 at 9:01 PM, Brandon said:

Sting has an even worse neck and is half the size of Austin and he apparently is willing to step in the ring.  

I wasn't thinking Austin would be a wrestler,  he'd make more sense as an on air personality who can kick the **** out of some people when need to without taking any bumps.    Austin on the mic is gold....  Sting/Big Show on the mic is blaaaaa

Austin couldn't do his podcast if he went over to AEW. I find Austin to be a pretty good interviewer. His interviews flow pretty well & of course he knows the people he brings on. He'd never have been able to interview Undertaker if he left WWE so he has a good gig going. I'd like to see him behind the mic more.  I think Vince pays him pretty well to do his podcasts & show up occasionally at Raw. 

9 hours ago, Goldkobra said:

I've watched a little of AEW. Not a lot of big men on the roster. Jungle Boy is one of their stars. They have a long way to get to WWE's level of talent. Maybe someday. 

36 minutes ago, Brandon said:

A very small minority of people would like them.  I could (can) not stand the ICP but they still have "a" following which doesn't mean that they are popular with the overall potential audience.   Airing Marko Stunt and his midget frame on TV as being competitive with legit wrestlers may please one fan for every five fans that look at it and laugh and then instantly change the channel because it's a joke.  It reminds me of terrible backyard wrestling that tried to be extreme and would try to do Japanese death matches.  Some people (not I) would totally love watching people getting wrecked by barbed wire and light tubes.... but the vast majority of casual and even hardcore wrestling fans would not watch it.  

Jericho shouldn't even be employed based on his anti-COVID and pro Trump and being associated with the Capitol hill incident.  Either way I tried watching AEW at a few different points and it reminds me of really bad local wrestling shows. Usually a few good spots,  many bad spots and a couple of absolutely terrible spots.  They really have no excuses with the money backing them on why they can't put on way better matches.   I had watched TNA in the mid 2000's and they did a much better job of putting on good matches (X Division) and adding more high flying moves without going overboard. 

On AEW every time I watch they have some 150 - 170 pound guy trying to do be a video game type wrestler that only hits high spots (botching more then half of the time) and can't do basic  wrestling moves.  It gets real old watching a group of people look at each other and clump together outside the ring only for a little guy to jump over and botch his over the top rope move and everyone still selling it.  And getting back to the promos and out of ring scenes.... absolutely atrocious and that's coming from someone who had to watch an old lady give birth to a hand.  

Everything reminds me of when I used to go to bad local wrestling shows in which their always is a dedicated fan base who goes to every show and any casual or new person watching is turned off instantly because it's laughable bad. Being a former big time wrestling fan it's clear as day that the show is being ran by the inmates and that the end result is a money mark putting on a terrible end product. No way in he** would Jim Ross script the show how it is right now. Jim Ross is happy that a money mark is dumping boat loads of money on his lawn and going along with it as long as they keep throwing money at him.  

Have you been to an aew live event with marko stunt wrestling? I have. People love to root for the underdog.  But whatever.  It's obvious you don't enjoy the product and nothing is going to change your mind.  

1 hour ago, Goldkobra said:

Have you been to an aew live event with marko stunt wrestling? I have. People love to root for the underdog.  But whatever.  It's obvious you don't enjoy the product and nothing is going to change your mind.  

As I said before... some people cheer backyard wrestlers smashing light tubes over each other,  it doesn't mean that it's popular or that the general public would like it.

Marko Stunt is 5 foot 2 and 115 lbs (as per wikipedia) with zero muscle definition and zero wrestling ability...   Rey Mysterio is 5 foot 6 and 170 lbs to put that in perspective.  I'm suppose to believe that Marko can even inflict a slight bit of damage or even remotely stay alive for two seconds in a ring?  

Joey Janela looks like this: 

Spoiler

vlcsnap-2019-08-03-12h37m02s398.png

I stated the reasons why I didn't like the product and what it would take for it to change my mind and more then likely help them gain a much larger audience and possibly mainstream attention.  Anyone with two eyes can see that AEW has a lonnnnnnnng way to go in getting over.   To put it in perspective... TNA on Spike many years ago was pulling double the viewers that AEW currently does and that was when Austin and other big guys were still around.  These days despite WWE being at it's all the time low in viewership AEW is losing viewers after it's initial launch and has failed to build any sort of audience despite adding more "stars" and having a year to work out angles and the talent.   

Edited by Brandon

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Brandon said:

Bwahahahaahaha how embarassing is that,  that's definitely a top 5 botch all time.   

As soon as I saw how little the ringside are had been moved back, I knew it was not going to live up to previous matches like this.  It was a terrible finish to an otherwise enjoyable match.

Not the 1st time this has happened with this time type of match though - the King of the Deathmatch tournament finals with Terry Funk and Cactus Jack had the ring fail to explode at all.