Wrestling

Rich

On 2020-05-29 at 1:40 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

Early returns on DoN indicate its may be the most watched AEW PPV of all time.  If not, it may fall second just behind the first DoN.  Remarkable.  

"All time" may be overstating it a bit. Lol.  "So far" might be a better description. AEW needs a little more history of great matches & PPV's before the AT term should be used. Not a criticism of you, btw. Just a small observation. 

59 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

"All time" may be overstating it a bit. Lol.  "So far" might be a better description. AEW needs a little more history of great matches & PPV's before the AT term should be used. Not a criticism of you, btw. Just a small observation. 

Well he's not wrong... technically the UWF Beach Brawl pay per view was it's all time best selling PPV at 17900 buys..... it was also it's only PPV but technically it was also its best selling one all time :)

Numbers going up is a positive sign even at a time that I assume many people are pinching pennies to save. 

Yeah I’m actually shocked. Because you’d think people would be less likely to spend $50 right now. And they had way less time to promote.  Lots of people thinking mox vs Lee was weak. I figured it would do okay but not great.  So...quite a surprise and a big feather in their cap. 

And yes, All Time as in the last year lol 

110,000-120,000 buys. Which is damn good.  

The Mox vs Lee I said it was clunky but far from being a terrible match.   If that's the low bar then that's nothing to be worried about. 

For a good laugh listen/watch on youtube wrestling with wregrets review compared to Jim Cornette's take on the stadium match.  LOL  One gave it a 6 stars and the other thinks Jericho , Jim Ross, Tony Shiavone (sp?) should be ashamed and this is an all time low for the wrestling industry.  Very comical stuff.      I find Cornette funny because he shits on them doing funny spots.... yet in other shows he talks about great gimmick matches in Memphis concession stand brawl with HTM where they literally did the same kind of **** and praises it as that it was amazing. 

8 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The Mox vs Lee I said it was clunky but far from being a terrible match.   If that's the low bar then that's nothing to be worried about. 

For a good laugh listen/watch on youtube wrestling with wregrets review compared to Jim Cornette's take on the stadium match.  LOL  One gave it a 6 stars and the other thinks Jericho , Jim Ross, Tony Shiavone (sp?) should be ashamed and this is an all time low for the wrestling industry.  Very comical stuff.      I find Cornette funny because he shits on them doing funny spots.... yet in other shows he talks about great gimmick matches in Memphis concession stand brawl with HTM where they literally did the same kind of **** and praises it as that it was amazing. 

Can’t listen to cornette. He worked himself into a shoot and is really a bitter old pos.  The reality is he played a gimmick crapping on the elite and then wanted to turn it into an angle and they told him to get lost.  So he’s violently bitter. Which is too bad because he’d certainly be a great addition to AEW if he hadn’t burned all his bridges. 

8 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Can’t listen to cornette. He worked himself into a shoot and is really a bitter old pos.  The reality is he played a gimmick crapping on the elite and then wanted to turn it into an angle and they told him to get lost.  So he’s violently bitter. Which is too bad because he’d certainly be a great addition to AEW if he hadn’t burned all his bridges. 

He also did a 15 minute bit on Omega and clarifying that he never wanted to work with the Young Bucks and how all the old timers in AEW are destroying their legacies.  He basically said the Bucks made all the **** of him wanting to work with them up and called them marks.  He also realllllllllllly despises Omega a lot. 

I listen because it's comedy to me.   When my roommate and I listened to you and Dirty **** or Wayne Stanton would *disagree* on air... we found it comical and very entertaining. 

He wouldn't be a good addition to AEW he's way to old school...  I'd think Arn Anderson is enough of a veteran presence for them. I'm pretty sure they can find less annoying people to help managers and tag teams out instead of Cornette. 

16 minutes ago, Brandon said:

He also did a 15 minute bit on Omega and clarifying that he never wanted to work with the Young Bucks and how all the old timers in AEW are destroying their legacies.  He basically said the Bucks made all the **** of him wanting to work with them up and called them marks.  He also realllllllllllly despises Omega a lot. 

I listen because it's comedy to me.   When my roommate and I listened to you and Dirty **** or Wayne Stanton would *disagree* on air... we found it comical and very entertaining. 

He wouldn't be a good addition to AEW he's way to old school...  I'd think Arn Anderson is enough of a veteran presence for them. I'm pretty sure they can find less annoying people to help managers and tag teams out instead of Cornette. 

He’s lying about working with the bucks.  Which tells you he’s embarrassed he was caught.  

He’d be good as a character but his days as a creative contributor were over a long time ago.   He actually never had any real success.  His promotion Smokey Mountain which he did constant race baiting angles went bankrupt. He was pretty much replaced in wwe by Russo.  He went to impact and did little of note and after threatening to kill Russo agreed to work with him because that’s what he does.  Went to ROH and over saw the worst creative and financial period.  

Cornette is a great on screen character.  Other than that he’s a dud. 

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

Well he's not wrong... technically the UWF Beach Brawl pay per view was it's all time best selling PPV at 17900 buys..... it was also it's only PPV but technically it was also its best selling one all time :)

Numbers going up is a positive sign even at a time that I assume many people are pinching pennies to save. 

Not saying TUP is wrong. It may have been the highest PPV. Just that AEW is too young to be saying All Time. But I want to stress that it isn't a big deal & not a hill I want to die on. 

I like good wrestling as a needed distraction at times.  For older fans that remember Tully or new fans that dont know why he was so great, here's one reason.  Great promo!

Really shows the difference between a lot of the older guys who learned to cut promos vs the newer way of scripted promo.  Tully is the man!

21 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Arn Anderson has signed a multi year deal with AEW.

AEW owner (and JAX owner) Shad Khan made a strong statement in support of the protects.  First NFL owner to do so I believe.

It took me over a minute to realize that it was a spelling mistake for protests lol....  I was trying to understand why he made a strong statement on condoms lol.  

Is he the only non white NFL owner?  I'd assume most are super old white guys?

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

It took me over a minute to realize that it was a spelling mistake for protests lol....  I was trying to understand why he made a strong statement on condoms lol.  

Is he the only non white NFL owner?  I'd assume most are super old white guys?

He is the first and I believe only ethnic minority owner.  There are two other owners born outside the US.  He's got a pretty cool story.  Came from Pakistan with nothing, worked a dishwashing job while he went to school.  Ended up buying the company he worked for with his savings and small business loan. And turned it into a billion dollar enterprise.  He's worth over $10 billion.

You wont see Vince screw with AEW too much.... 😉

Edited by The Unknown Poster

19 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

He is the first and I believe only ethnic minority owner.  There are two other owners born outside the US.  He's got a pretty cool story.  Came from Pakistan with nothing, worked a dishwashing job while he went to school.  Ended up buying the company he worked for with his savings and small business loan. And turned it into a billion dollar enterprise.  He's worth over $10 billion.

You wont see Vince screw with AEW too much.... 😉

And unlike WCW .... I'd assume AEW is it's own separate entity so no suits are going to interfere with it even if business isn't very profitable.  

As for NFL owners.... I assume once more of the dinosaur old white guy owners die off and the club gets passed down to family or to businesses.... maybe then the owners will be more supportive?  

24 minutes ago, Brandon said:

And unlike WCW .... I'd assume AEW is it's own separate entity so no suits are going to interfere with it even if business isn't very profitable.  

As for NFL owners.... I assume once more of the dinosaur old white guy owners die off and the club gets passed down to family or to businesses.... maybe then the owners will be more supportive?  

AEW is wholly owned by Shad Khan, privately held.  With Tony as President & CEO.  Whereas WCW was owned by a large conglomerate.  The interfering is a bit overblown but Russo and Bischoff like to push that narrative to distract from their failings.  WCW was still hugely viable as a TV product when it was sold (which was a bit fishy in that the head of programming had interested parties but suddenly cancelled all WCW programming and had known someone in WWE for a long time).

Bischoff's huge guaranteed contracts and Russo's awful creative combined to make WCW go drom hugely profitable to hugely in debt in about a year.  The higher ups did want to get the money losers off the books but it was pretty small for Time Warner and they ended up carrying the largest contracts anyway.

The Khan's dont answer to anyone other then their TV partner TNT.  And TNT loves them.  And times change, TNT is obviously looser with standards than back in WCW's days in terms of swearing, blood etc.  But even without, the bookings is way better and the business plan/operations is way better.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta say I love the AEW tag team division.

I especially love that Guevara and Jericho are pairing as "Le Sex Gods."

I just admire the audacity -- a guy who looks like the singer from a Night Ranger cover band standing next to a 21 year old who is cut like a diamond and moves like a king cobra, and the Night Ranger guy says "Yup, that's us, we are le sex gods. Both of us."

And don't get me wrong, no hate here, I think Jericho is fantastic. dude is such a great heel. he's got his head just far enough up his ass to be super entertaining but not so far that I hate him. real nice calibration there.

AEW Dark was pretty meh this week.  Hate seeing jobbers brought in just to get demolished by big names. You look at the dark Omega vs. jobber match from a few weeks ago, Kenny showcased his opponent and they put on an entertaining show.  Lance Archer vs. Ali, not so much ... though I liked seeing him beat up a random staffer before the match, that's some good heeling.

3 hours ago, johnzo said:

AEW Dark was pretty meh this week.  Hate seeing jobbers brought in just to get demolished by big names. You look at the dark Omega vs. jobber match from a few weeks ago, Kenny showcased his opponent and they put on an entertaining show.

You can't have jobbers being competitive with the top talent.... I'd rather they just not have jobbers at all. 

Dug the spot on Dynamite last night where they pumped the tires on fancy girl Anna Jay with a big glowing soft-focus promo and then she got KO'd in a minute by horror freakshow girl Abadon who is my new favorite.

and then Anna Jay joined the Dark Order.

real nice tight storytelling there and the promo was a great misdirect.

Edited by johnzo