Wrestling

Rich

Some back and forth on WWE releasing people.  Some saying its just business and everyone is doing it.

I think what irks a lot of people is WWE has hoarded talent for a long time.  They would literally pay someone to sit at home rather then release them and risk them going to AEW.   They refused to release anyone when requested, rolled over contracts to keep them etc.  And now, when there has never been a worse time to be a free agent, releases people.

Also, WWE will be the most profitable it has ever been in the next year even if they run zero house shows and other live events.  They claim they're saving $4 million per month but also note the majority of that savings is deferring spending on their new building to replace Titan Tower.  

Industry-wide, only WWE has done this.  The other groups are all paying their talent.  AEW is paying per show talent as well.  ROH is paying production people they booked for shows they now arent running.  The longer this goes, the more likely they will all have to do this.  But it's pretty bad timing for WWE who are at no risk of not being profitable, to do this.  The one caveat is if USA and FOX somehow get out of the TV deals, but there is no indication of that happening.  WWE is flush with money.

AEW was running QT Marshall's gym for their recent events.  They are reportedly taped up until DoN.  No word on where DoN will take place or what the card will be.  Probably they realize a lot could change.  UFC thinks Vegas will be open in May so its always possible AEW runs Vegas with no crowd.  More likely they run their facility in JAX.  The reason they went to Atlanta for tapings was because JAX shut down all hotels.  If that changes by May, they could run JAX for DoN.  Getting everyone in is the other complication.

19 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Tony Kahn was hinting next weeks episode might be the best episode of Dynamite they have done so far.

Curious! Still working with a small crew.  They are looking to go back life beginning of May and will have a larger crew.  Everyone they need for the PPV basically.  Will start the hard push for DoN.  

That could mean, if true... the eventual return of other leagues & territories before Vince bought them out.  Where wrestling once a  month at the same venue would occur. Just like the AWA was in Winnipeg for decades. I doubt if ESPN would keep WWE a worldwide company. It would just fill time on their tv schedule.

15 hours ago, Brandon said:

I can't believe how low the ratings are going for Raw and Smackdown. 

How low will it go??

Will old school (attitude era) wrestling will come back?

I think wwe makes too much money to ever go back to the attitude era. Which is good because it really doesn’t hold up.  Adult content isn’t their issue.  Boring formulaic booking is.  How low can it go before Vince makes a change?  Before the pandemic I’d say it would never happen as long as Vince was in charge.  You never know now.  They usually cling to excuses though so I think they do nothing as long as covid can be blamed.  

19 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Hahaha apparently the Maryland state athletic commission fined AEW $10,000 for the hardcore match between Mox and Kenny last year.  Hilarious!

I like how that one dork thinks this is some kind of scandal or will have any effect on anything moving forward.

Anyway, good Dynamite last night. Scary bump by Sammy G off the golf cart, but one hell of a visual. The whole street fight was really fun. I have to assume Kenny put that together as it had a distinctly DDT feel to it.

13 minutes ago, ediger said:

I like how that one dork thinks this is some kind of scandal or will have any effect on anything moving forward.

Anyway, good Dynamite last night. Scary bump by Sammy G off the golf cart, but one hell of a visual. The whole street fight was really fun. I have to assume Kenny put that together as it had a distinctly DDT feel to it.

Agreed.  That's Chris Cruise, used to announce for WCW.  Im guessing he didnt get a job he wanted lol  If you look at the Maryland Commission rules, every wrestling event breaks the rules.  It is well known you should not do blood in Maryland and AEW did blood but the fact is, its archaic to hold pro wrestling to athletic commissions in that way.

Good Dynamite against a pretty loaded NXT. Ratings:

AEW 732

NXT 663