Wrestling

Rich

On 2020-03-31 at 1:20 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

They own Daily’s Place in Jax but Florida rules make it tough plus the parking lot is being used as a major testing site. 

Secret location is somewhere in the south east.  They don’t want fans showing up.  

Looks like it might be the Jaguars indoor practice facility 

5 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

or not roof looks too low but there is turf down on the ground

That’s what I thought too with artificial turf but I think they had to get out of Florida.  And with crew at ringside this week when they weren’t last week it makes me think they were somewhere with different gathering rules.  Looked like a small building though.  Indoor soccer maybe?  

it’s getting to be a struggle. But A for effort. They’re really trying.  Apparently they filmed matches for future shows in case they can’t get together.   Still planning for DoN.  

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

That’s what I thought too with artificial turf but I think they had to get out of Florida.  And with crew at ringside this week when they weren’t last week it makes me think they were somewhere with different gathering rules.  Looked like a small building though.  Indoor soccer maybe?  

it’s getting to be a struggle. But A for effort. They’re really trying.  Apparently they filmed matches for future shows in case they can’t get together.   Still planning for DoN.  

Heck of a lot more entertaining than the WWE effort. 

14 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Well. That was something.   Everyone loves the boneyard match. I didn’t.  And nice knowing you Goldberg. 

I loved the boneyard match but only in the context of the current situation. The empty arena just weirds me out so it was nice to see something a little different. Was texting jokes back and forth during the whole thing but I did like it. It was the most noteworthy part of the night for me.

Goldberg... geez. Those matches gotta go.

Hopefully, Vince may be noticing that if you just wrestle even in an empty arena that people will watch. No one tunes in Raw to watch a match from a PPV 2 months ago. AEW has it right, put some wrestlers around the ring to pretend to be cheerleaders & that helps. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Wrestlemania was pretty awful this year.  Having now seen it I’m still perplexed why they didn’t just postpone it.  It does lend itself to the idea major sports (and entertainment) companies know this is not a three month thing.  

Anyway I thought firefly fun house was okay.  But I’ve yet to see someone who loves it adequately explained the narrative of it.   Just seemed like a bunch of unconnected images and ideas, all of which were gimmicks more over than Bray himself.  So I guess he is a genius to get himself to a point where he doesn’t even have to wrestle (and in fact we don’t want to see him wrestle).  

It was still rather stupid. But the kids who like shiny things seem to enjoy it. 

Edited by The Unknown Poster

5 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Wrestlemania was pretty awful this year.  Having now seen it I’m still perplexed why they didn’t just postpone it.  It does lend itself to the idea major sports (and entertainment) companies know this is not a three month thing.  

Anyway I thought firefly fun house was okay.  But I’ve yet to see someone who loves it adequately explained the narrative of it.   Just seemed like a bunch of unconnected images and ideas, all of which were gimmicks more over than Bray himself.  So I guess he is a genius to get himself to a point where he doesn’t even have to wrestle (and in fact we don’t want to see him wrestle).  

It was still rather stupid. But the kids who like shiny things seem to enjoy it. 

It was the dumbest thing I've seen in wrestling for a long time.

lol yeah well, the narrative I've seen that best explains it, is I guess Cena going back to his first match was back to his initial failure.  Not sure what Thuganomics had to do with anything since it was a successful gimmick (maybe that was the point).  The Saturday Night Live stuff was to show Cena was just a muscle head but got super over (like Hogan).  But when the fans turned, Hogan re-invented himself as a heel and had a whole new run.  Whereas Cena didnt.  Thus the nWo thing...saying it could have been Cena.  This also makes little sense since Hogan turned largely because he needed to.  Cena remained a huge star even as fans turned on him.

And then going back to the first WM match between them six years ago, Bray should have won but didnt.  Cena wouldnt give into the hate then, but does now and loses and loses himself in the process.  Which, is sort of contradictory.  Should he have turned heel like Hogan or he shouldnt because then he loses himself?  

Meh

15 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

lol yeah well, the narrative I've seen that best explains it, is I guess Cena going back to his first match was back to his initial failure.  Not sure what Thuganomics had to do with anything since it was a successful gimmick (maybe that was the point).  The Saturday Night Live stuff was to show Cena was just a muscle head but got super over (like Hogan).  But when the fans turned, Hogan re-invented himself as a heel and had a whole new run.  Whereas Cena didnt.  Thus the nWo thing...saying it could have been Cena.  This also makes little sense since Hogan turned largely because he needed to.  Cena remained a huge star even as fans turned on him.

And then going back to the first WM match between them six years ago, Bray should have won but didnt.  Cena wouldnt give into the hate then, but does now and loses and loses himself in the process.  Which, is sort of contradictory.  Should he have turned heel like Hogan or he shouldnt because then he loses himself?  

Meh

Who cares, right? Cena has become what he criticized The Rock for years ago. Gone Hollywood. Turned his back on the fans. Says he'll never leave but does. I don't begrudge the guy the life & career he has but it looks pretty comical now. You & I have talked about Bray Wyatt before. You know I'm not a fan of his at all because what he does is all so contrived & predictable. I'm sure once his Evil Clown routine runs its course, there's always the Evil Ghost Hunter or Evil Casper The Ghost. .

51 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Was so good on commentary. Was a heel but still was putting guys and gals over. I love he did not say tony schiavone name correct one time last night.

Kept calling the kid who worked Brodie by different names too.  He was really good.   I was actually thinking I missed a bit of heelish commentator.  Like, you dont want someone who grates on your as a heel, but just someone who who can see it from that perspective, adds some interest.  In the various times I've done commentary for DVD or TV, Im usually a play by play guy but I much prefer when I can be colour and Im like that...a bit of a **** but putting everyone over.

I thought this was a really good Dynamite.  Shida vs Brit was terrific.  Best Brit match in a long time and the blood added to it for sure.  She did a great job in not shying away from it either or being freaked out.  Her "personality" has really come through.  She'll be a world champion sooner than later and probably hold it for a long time.  Once her work gets up there consistently, she's a perfect heel champion to carry to division.

They did a great job building Hager vs Mox and in a realistic way.  Loved the on-location vignettes showing them both training.  Subtle stuff too, Hager with a professional looking gym and Mox working out of his garage in Vegas and running through the desert.  

Matt was pretty good too.  Hole of the Ass is pretty funny.  I also liked the subtle contrast between the Hardy compound and the Jericho estate (he called it a compound when he was sort of stumbling on his words, but he should refer to it as an Estate).  Elite Deletion will be great.  I hope they end up doing a sequel at Jericho's place too, for the contrast.

AEW fans got to see a side of Kenny Winnipeggers see, not full fun, goofy Kenny but a taste of it.  Funny stuff.  Best Friends have grown on me the last few weeks.  Good booking as they beat Kenny and Nak which puts them in line for a shot at Kenny & Page.

Cody vs Spears was good too for a match we really didnt care about until they began hyping it this week.  

Oh and Jake Roberts...man, the guy is so good.  His delivery is tremendous.  Loved him putting over Marko and then saying "You're an idiot" dismissively.   What a contrast to how WWE uses "legends".  Jake, Tully, Arn are all important but not over shadowing anyone.  Treated like legends who still have something to offer, rather than jokes.

Ill be fair and say something nice about WWE.  Bianca is tremendous.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I was actually thinking I missed a bit of heelish commentator.  Like, you dont want someone who grates on your as a heel, but just someone who who can see it from that perspective, adds some interest

Jesse Ventura and Bobby Heenan were perfect heel commentators... I used to love the one liners and the justification they gave to the bad guys for doing what they did. 

COVID related but figured I'd put it here for the wrestling fans.  MGM Resorts has cancelled all events through end of May which would impact AEW's Double or Nothing PPV.  All the scheduled events are listed as cancelled EXCEPT the two AEW events (PPV and the TV the following week).

So I have a feeling AEW might be waiting to see if they'd be allowed to travel and gather in sufficient numbers to do the shows in an empty arena.  The Plan B, I'd have to assume, would be to scrap it and make All Out their next PPV.  If they want to add another to the schedule, its a gamble, not just in terms of gathering but of drawing an international audience with all the travel restrictions and reduced airline capacity etc.

Personally, I have tickets to DoN so Im curious to hear.