Wrestling

Rich

On 2020-03-04 at 11:16 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

there's an adorable video tweet out there of a little girl getting an autographed MJF headshot as a holiday gift. It says "I'm better than you!" on it, like MJF does.

"Happy Hanuukah, you ******," she says on the video.  All of wrestling twitter was cheering her on.

one more thing, to be stupid serious about this story: I kinda like the life lesson being taught here. while it's always super cute to see giant scary wrestling celebrities be gentle and kind to their young fans, I like how MJF's consistent assholery teaches the lesson that there are assholes in the universe and they remain assholes regardless of how tiny and cute and harmless and deferential you are.

that's something kids need to understand.

On 2020-03-05 at 3:49 PM, johnzo said:

one more thing, to be stupid serious about this story: I kinda like the life lesson being taught here. while it's always super cute to see giant scary wrestling celebrities be gentle and kind to their young fans, I like how MJF's consistent assholery teaches the lesson that there are assholes in the universe and they remain assholes regardless of how tiny and cute and harmless and deferential you are.

that's something kids need to understand.

Why does a pro wrestler or celebrity have to be the teacher? There will be plenty of assholes in that kid's life to teach him that. Big Man will come crashing down to Earth someday. They always do.

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

So the million dollar question is, will WrestleMania in Tampa be cancelled/postponed...

My guess is it will be postponed. That's a destination type event, attracting people from across the country (and around the world). It's going to suck but I think they do it. 

12 minutes ago, JCon said:

My guess is it will be postponed. That's a destination type event, attracting people from across the country (and around the world). It's going to suck but I think they do it. 

I agree its leaning that direction.  WWE will wait until the last possible minute...well, WWE wont cancel.  But Florida might.  Its a logistical nightmare though.  I think they'll wait to see if the virus sort of plateaus in the US in the next couple of weeks.  I wonder if they'd restrict some travelers from certain countries too.

They should be really careful with house show and TV events right now.  Talent is always so interactive with fans.  Adam Page should not take beer from fans anymore...lol (word is the last few were plants).

Title change for Hunter.  WWE announced he's gone from Executive Vice President of Talent, Live Events & Creative to Executive Vice President Global Talent Strategy & Development.  No word on change of duties.  

Interestingly, there have been reports that, not so much Hunter taking blame, but the talk around WWE about NXT losing to AEW on Wednesdays.  

The cynic in me would say its just a verbiage change to mitigate Hunter getting any blame for NXT's ratings.   More likely it just aligns with his real-world duties of developing NXT's around the world, but its interesting to remove "creative" from the equation.  Heyman and Prichard are more involved in the day to day creative of RAW & SD.  I cant remember who does NXT below Hunter, Road Dogg and HBK maybe?  It was Ryan Ward during NXT's most acclaimed period but he was poached for SD awhile back and then demoted I believe.

He started in the new role in February.

Look at last night on Raw. Aleister Black was attacked by Rollins, Buddy Murphy & AOP last week. Last night, Rollins asked Black to join him & he said no. So, they had a match. During the match, AOP & Murphy attacked Black. The Viking Raiders & The Street Profits came out & save Black. Then the Street Profits & Viking Raiders challenge them to an 8 man tag match. Black disappears like he never was even there. You'd think he'd want to be a part of the tag match but he wasn't. I was thinking, what was the point of this match?? Black would have been an interesting addition to this feud that would have caught my interest. Instead we get the same old, same old. Whoop De Dooo.  Another week, another boring match.  Oh & Kevin Owens gets buried again. No wonder ratings are down 23%. 

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Look at last night on Raw. Aleister Black was attacked by Rollins, Buddy Murphy & AOP last week. Last night, Rollins asked Black to join him & he said no. So, they had a match. During the match, AOP & Murphy attacked Black. The Viking Raiders & The Street Profits came out & save Black. Then the Street Profits & Viking Raiders challenge them to an 8 man tag match. Black disappears like he never was even there. You'd think he'd want to be a part of the tag match but he wasn't. I was thinking, what was the point of this match?? Black would have been an interesting addition to this feud that would have caught my interest. Instead we get the same old, same old. Whoop De Dooo.  Another week, another boring match.  Oh & Kevin Owens gets buried again. No wonder ratings are down 23%. 

Totally agree.  It’s so formulaic and boring.  It’s not that it’s bad.  It’s just predictable and the same as it always is.  Wwe is super slick, amazing production values.  But it’s too much a well oiled machine.  

AEW is better because the shows are more interesting.  You might have the occasional bad promo, bad match, bad idea.  But it’s because it’s more realistic and interesting and unpredictable. 

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Totally agree.  It’s so formulaic and boring.  It’s not that it’s bad.  It’s just predictable and the same as it always is.  Wwe is super slick, amazing production values.  But it’s too much a well oiled machine.  

AEW is better because the shows are more interesting.  You might have the occasional bad promo, bad match, bad idea.  But it’s because it’s more realistic and interesting and unpredictable. 

Thirty or 40 years ago fans accepted cartoon characters like Hillbilly Jim, Kamala & Kimchee, The Bushwackers & others. Today, teams like the Viking Raiders fall into that category. They're cartoonish. WWE is all about cartoon characters. Fans don't accept these kind of gimmicks anymore.  WWE doesn't change even though the fanbase has. I think fans want realism. Something they can believe in. Like Drew McIntyre. Fans believe in him. They believe he can beat Lesnar. They never believed Riccochet could. Nobody cares if Riccochet gets squashed. But what does the WWE do? They keep feeding fans those kind of matches. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Thirty or 40 years ago fans accepted cartoon characters like Hillbilly Jim, Kamala & Kimchee, The Bushwackers & others. Today, teams like the Viking Raiders fall into that category. They're cartoonish. WWE is all about cartoon characters. Fans don't accept these kind of gimmicks anymore.  WWE doesn't change even though the fanbase has. I think fans want realism. Something they can believe in. Like Drew McIntyre. Fans believe in him. They believe he can beat Lesnar. They never believed Riccochet could. Nobody cares if Riccochet gets squashed. But what does the WWE do? They keep feeding fans those kind of matches. 

Well, I think wrestling should be a variety show.  AEW still has guys like Luchasaures and Marko Stunt and Orange Cassidy.  Viking Raiders are great.  I think WWE is just so in their bubble...basically if you're talent there, you're just like a hired actor (without being able to choose your roles).  They hand you a name, a character, a script and teach you to perform the way they want which means everyone performs the same way (within the context of their ability). Shows are produced and directed the same way, look the same way.  Announcers call it the same way, WWE-ized verbiage all the time.  

And I think for all the writers, they actually do less actual story telling.  Its mostly guy A vs guy B because.  Thats why Orton vs Edge seems so great because it's actually a story.  

Go back to Survivor Series 98, which was actually a Russo show so F me, but my God..amazing.  So many different angles and layers of story coming together one one show to pay off a big climax.  

Even Drew...its like he did nothing of note for 3 years on RAW and then they decide he's going to be "the guy" so he wins the Rumble, becomes a babyface with no actual face turn and is suddenly scripted to talk totally different than he used to (trying to be funny, charming etc).   Its fine, he's great.  But he should have been built up for this over time with foreshadowing.  

So yeah, I agree.  WWE is really up their own asses too much.  And it starts and ends with Vince because everyone who ever worked there says the writers write for Vince, not for the fans or the talent.  You want to keep your job and rise up?  Book what you think Vince will like, even if you know it sucks.  

Latest hot rumour is WWE pretty close to implementing their Wrestlemania contingency plan which would be moving the show to June.  Id assume this all comes together this week due to the massive logistics required in doing WM and the discussions happening in Florida right now.

Vegas still has a huge convention this weekend (which probably wont help things).  MGM Resorts just announced the closure of all their buffets.   Id guess AEW will look at the NFL actions with regards to the Vegas draft before they have to make any decisions on DoN.  

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Wrestle Mania is a big deal but every week they're fighting in front of large audiences. I can't imagine what sort of product they'll have if they don't have a crowd week after week?

Well any City it state that bans crowds over 1000 will impact raw but what are the odds all 50 states do that?   They just hve to be proactive to try to avoid areas most likely to be hit. Wrestle mania is different though.  70,000+ people.  A weeks worth of events with heavy interaction.  Visitors from all over the world.  

Big meeting in Tampa tomorrow that will probably decide.  It’s such a big logistical thing that wwe has to decide (or Tampa has to decide for them) sooner than later.  A last minute cancellation would be a disaster.  Also sounds like wwe is granting refunds to people who request it. 

AEW has a show in Jersey shortly. Could be at risk.