Wrestling

Rich

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Edge did mention in passing he had another surgery that made it possible to come back.  But man, he was very seriously injured to the point he couldnt even drop the title.  Although Bryan was ordered on the shelf forever by WWE doctors but had numerous private docs willing to certify him.  It was him getting close to his contract coming due and making it very clear he was going to go somewhere to wrestle that seemed to change WWE's mind.

Sting had the same issue as Edge (and Austin before him).  I could see both getting cleared.  I think they've both said (at least I seem to recall Austin saying) he could work one more match if he wanted to.  With the TV deals and especially the Saudi deal, the money is so absurd, Im surprised Austin hasnt gone yet...Sting would probably do it if he's in shape.  Sting vs Taker maybe?

Taker should just... stay retired. He can't even move in the ring anymore. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Taker should just... stay retired. He can't even move in the ring anymore. 

Yeah...but, if you were offered $1million for ten minutes of work, would you take it? lol  I think all those older guys can be protected but WWE sort of screws it up.  Goldberg/Taker was terrible and it shouldnt have been (notwithstanding Goldberg getting hurt).  Taker/Kane vs DX wasnt very good either.  HBK would have been better in a singles match against someone who could work (or DX vs a good team).

I think they might use Taker as a special attraction in the sense he might not be advertised (or advertised last minute) at WM, do the big intro, choke slam a lower card guy and be done.  You can do that for a few years.  But those Saudimania shows....the Prince wants wrestling and he wants guys from the 90's.

I’m curious to see the ratings for last night.   See if there is a post PPV bump for nxt (there wasn’t really for raw).  

Dynamite was....it wasn’t bad per se but kinda dull which some weird booking decisions.   The opening segment was tremendous and I was certain they’d set up a big main event.   Figured it would be inner circle vs mox, Kenny & Page.  Oh well. 

Early speculation is they’re scapegoats for lower then expected revenue report coming next week.  But it sure sounds bigger than that.  Firing your senior leadership team?  Crazy. 

And wirh the XFL about to lunch and divert Vince’s attention.  I almost wonder if there was a quiet coup attempt.  Maybe the presidents wanted Vince to move aside.  

It could also be disastrous network subs.   Or the Presidents wanting the slash payroll rather then continue to throw money around and maintain a very bloated roster just to keep them away from the competition 

I guess we’ll find out next week. 

I have not listened to this yet, so I offer this with no commentary other than Canadaland puts out quality podcasts:

ABOUT THE SHOW

Rethinking Canada. With DYNASTIES, COMMONS is focusing on the powerful families that run this country.

Hosted by Arshy Mann.

DYNASTIES #9- The Harts

The Harts are Canada’s first family of professional wrestling and one of the most famous dynasties the country has ever produced. And sure, wrestling is scripted. But what happens when reality begins to invade that fiction? The story of the Harts is one of triumph and tragedy that transcends the world of pro wrestling.

https://www.canadalandshow.com/shows/commons/

WWE Q4 earnings call...Im no analyst but some interesting news.

The reason Vince fired the two President's seems related to the Network.  Vince said they are in talks with third parties about licensing content.  ie. It appears WWE might sell their PPV's to a third party, much like UFC did.  DAZN might be a good fit.

Barring that, they could take them back to traditional PPV, but it sure sounds like a licensing/sale deal is imminent.  Vince said as early as next quarter.

Mentioned bringing in new people to keep things focused which I read as acknowledging creative sucks but Vince is the Captain so anyone coming in is occupying deck chairs on Vince's titanic.  

Plays loose with the numbers trying to say certain things are up.  Revenue is, due to TV deals but everything else is more or less stagnant or down.  For example, noted live event revenue is down but said its because they ran less events as if they could run more events and increase revenue when the truth is, they cut live events because they were losing money.

Also appears a delay in their India TV deal (which should be significant) and it seems Saudi might owe them over $120 million???  lol

Anyway, WWE business looks to be in for a big change this year, probably not a good one.  I figured a licensing deal would place more pressure on WWE to produce better PPV's but it was noted, UFC quality went down when they did this because their money was guaranteed.  So...

On 2020-02-08 at 12:30 AM, Jpan85 said:

My new weekly reminder that the hangman is about to be the biggest thing in professional wrestling

Completely agree. He's the next big star in pro wrestling. He has so much going for him and I think AEW is juuuuust a big enough platform to have him take off. He could be what takes them to the next level as far as ratings are concerned.

New Japan announces a return to MSG in August, the day before Summerslam in Boston.  New Japan calling it Wrestle Dynasty and promising it will be a Wrestle Kingdom quality event.  Pretty big deal.

WWE had tried to block New Japan from their first MSG show but law suits convinced MSG to go ahead with it.  Presumably, New Japan is now wide open to run it after selling out the first one.

AEW was blocked from running MSG though and will be running Newark instead.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

On 2020-02-09 at 1:45 AM, ediger said:

Completely agree. He's the next big star in pro wrestling. He has so much going for him and I think AEW is juuuuust a big enough platform to have him take off. He could be what takes them to the next level as far as ratings are concerned.

How? There just isnt that many wrestling fans anymore

Ppl realize that nxt and aew combined draw the same roughly give or take 1.6 million viewers per week? 

The market just isnt there. There are WWE fans and then theres 900k give or take fans who likely are watching AEW NJPW MLW NWA etc. 

I want AEW to do well... But fact is they started out drawing over 1 million then really haven't come close since. 

The market just isn't there. Wrestling is not popular and a dude pretending to be Stone Cold Steve Austin isn't gonnna move the needle. At all. The fans just aren't there anymore. 

Edited by Goalie

AEW is as much "pro" wrestling as WWE is.. Am i watching a different dynamite? Or when i turn it off after an hour cuz 10000 dives and no sells do they start really wrestling? Cuz what ive seen is WWE lite...With swear words... 

Dont see Page ever being someone who actually puts asses in seats. 

Why? Cuz he drinks beer? 

Edited by Goalie

13 minutes ago, Goalie said:

How? There just isnt that many wrestling fans anymore

Ppl realize that nxt and aew combined draw the same roughly give or take 1.6 million viewers per week? 

The market just isnt there. There are WWE fans and then theres 900k give or take fans who likely are watching AEW NJPW MLW NWA etc. 

I want AEW to do well... But fact is they started out drawing over 1 million then really haven't come close since. 

The market just isn't there. Wrestling is not popular and a dude pretending to be Stone Cold Steve Austin isn't gonnna move the needle. At all. The fans just aren't there anymore. 

AEW is drawing over 900,000 so give or take a bit are close to a million.  The interesting thing is the combined audience on Wednesday isnt *that* far from what WWE draws for RAW & SD.  

No one is going to be Austin or Rock.  Or nWo.  But I think the point was probably just that Hangman has the potential to explode within the context of modern wrestling, which is to say he wont be Austin or Rock.  But look at Kenny who absolutely exploded and was a big business mover in the last couple years.  Again, not Austin or Rock.  But a genuine draw that sold tickets just by being on a show.  Can Hangman be that?  I dont know.  I think he'll be big for AEW and sell merch and help sell PPV's.  But I agree with you fully...no one will be Austin or Rock.

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

AEW is as much "pro" wrestling as WWE is.. Am i watching a different dynamite? Or when i turn it off after an hour cuz 10000 dives and no sells do they start really wrestling? Cuz what ive seen is WWE lite...With swear words... 

Dont see Page ever being someone who actually puts asses in seats. 

Why? Cuz he drinks beer? 

You think AEW is WWE-lite?  Hmmmm, I mean, they're both wrestling.  WWE definitely has a slicker production.  Both sides have excellent wrestlers.  Im not sure either would be "lite" of the other.