Wrestling

Rich

I caught only the last match and last promo.

Jim Ross sounds completely checked out, Tony S still has it.

I also agree that the last promo had to much dead air .. needed a bit more build up and less spraying of the bubbly. Otherwise it was good and the crowd liked it.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

I caught only the last match and last promo.

Jim Ross sounds completely checked out, Tony S still has it.

I also agree that the last promo had to much dead air .. needed a bit more build up and less spraying of the bubbly. Otherwise it was good and the crowd liked it.

JR has been pretty hit and miss. When he interacts with Tony its all good but outside of that, there's definitely been some clunky moments. He appears to be getting more comfortable with Excalibur but that's combo is still a bit awkward. JR seems like he needs the perfect environment to thrive which is not ideal. I have a feeling if he was in a two man booth with Tony and deleted his Twitter account, we'd see a happier and more engaged JR.

EDIT: NXT delayed due to not being in top 50.  They finished 55.  Drew 721,000 so not a bad number.  But AEW doubled them in key demo.

Looks like the momentum of main roster on NXT being over has sent their number back down.  Maybe the holiday break.   Great for AEW who seemed to be struggling to now have two weeks in a row near a million.  Last week was a great show, last night had a few stumbles.  Very curious for next week and what NXT does.

Consensus seems to be the  Brock angle will lead to an NXT guy facing him at WM so Brock on NXT would certainly juice the rating but he aint working every week and then he'll be gone too.  I'd say Vince ends up making an appearance lol

Edited by The Unknown Poster

10 hours ago, bigg jay said:

May or may not mean anything but seeing this pair together is interesting...

Im a big Harper fan.  I think Cody spoke glowingly of him too.  Im sure he had irons in the fire because WWE offered him a new 5 year deal and he's 40 years old.  But he's way way better than WWE showed.  I think he had a two week push where he won the IC title.  He's good.  And AEW could use some big guys.

Matt Hardy is available soon too.  Curious at what he does.  When he was hurt, WWE was trying him out as an agent so Im not sure if that didnt work out or if it was just something to do with him while he was hurt.  He keeps tweeting about a new chapter and whatnot.  I think he'd be ideal in AEW too.  

There was actually a plan for a Bucks/Hardy's feud to cross over ROH/TNA but I think TNA nixed it.  Even better if Jeff ever cleans up and do one last Hardy Boys run.  Matt would be good for AEW too.  Still looks good, pretty big name, very smart and creative.

AEW announced the signing of Austin Gunn (Billy's son).  They did a dark match as a duo so perhaps thats the plan.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Marty Scurll signed with ROH which surprises some but hes been pretty consistent in downplaying other options.  Sounds like he for a heck of a deal. Money. Can work for nwa, japan and apparently AEW door isn’t closed. And word is he’s now head booker of Roh.  

Kinda disappointed but good for Marty.  Apparently it's the most lucrative deal in ROH history.  If he was able to keep all non-WWE doors open, then he's pretty set.

Apparently Brian Cage signed with AEW ... really like this signing for them, he's not a giant in terms of height but he's a physique they don't really have on the roster right now and he can go with the smaller guys. Lots of matches I'd love to see ... Cage/Omega probably at the top of that list.

Marty apparently isn't the head booker and is only on the booking team, but one of his main purposes is allegedly to establish a working relationship with AEW (don't see that happening)

18 minutes ago, Mike said:

Apparently Brian Cage signed with AEW ... really like this signing for them, he's not a giant in terms of height but he's a physique they don't really have on the roster right now and he can go with the smaller guys. Lots of matches I'd love to see ... Cage/Omega probably at the top of that list.

Marty apparently isn't the head booker and is only on the booking team, but one of his main purposes is allegedly to establish a working relationship with AEW (don't see that happening)

Cage and omega were teasing this at a recent show.   Cage’s wife denies it and reports are he’s injured.  But it sure sounds like he’s AEW bound. And I agree. He gives them something they don’t have.  

Delierious has been roh booker for a long time.  So it’s a good change.  There’s no value in AEW working with ROH ( not for aew anyway).  And there are rumours Cody and Marty don’t get along.  But who knows. 

6 hours ago, Mike said:

Guy looks like a legit wrestler.... I also read online that some dude named Killer Kross is joining AEW with Cage....

14 hours ago, Brandon said:

Guy looks like a legit wrestler.... I also read online that some dude named Killer Kross is joining AEW with Cage....

Kross has a lot of upside. His gf works for wwe.  He just signed with MLW but probably not long term.  He has a falling out with Impact when he wanted to renegotiate his contract feeling the deal he signed before he was a star wasn’t fair once he became one.  They held their ground and it blew up and they finally just released him.   

14 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Beat me too it!   Incredible news especially with all the talk of ratings.  Tnt obviously thrilled.  Which we knew because Meltzer reported tnt expected 500,000 per week and growth from there.  They’ve far exceeded that.  

Great news.  Be interesting to hear if it’s same terms or if there was a raise involved.  I’d suspect same terms. 

More from Dave:

Additional reporting by Dave Meltzer

A major victory was had in the "Wednesday Night Wars" as TNT announced they have extended their deal with AEW for Dynamite through 2023.

Our Dave Meltzer is reporting the deal is for four years and $175 million, just under $45 million per year, and includes TNT having an option for 2024 at a significantly increased price.

Additionally, the Wednesday press release mentioned that WarnerMedia and AEW will launch another show, but didn't provide any additional information other than it being on "another night". WarnerMedia oversees TNT, TBS, and truTV in addition to HBO Max, a new OTT streaming service that is launching this May, so it's not a definite the new program will also be on TNT.

Meltzer said that, "When the new show launches, the Wednesday tapings would expand and also include matches taped for the streaming show Dark which is not going away. This means there will be four hours a week of the product, allowing more time to showcase more talent, which has been limited by the current format."

AEW's secondary show Dark, made up of matches taped before and after Dynamite, debuts on YouTube every Tuesday night.

AEW launched last October, going head to head with WWE NXT on USA Network. Both sides have experienced success with AEW maintaining a slight lead in both average viewership and the 18-49 demo.

To clarify, the old deal was TNT paid production costs ($400,000 or so per week) and split ad revenue with AEW.  This new deal requires AEW to cover their own production costs but they get $45 million per year and continue to get a cut of ad revenue.  Pretty big raise.

According to big Dave, this makes them profitable this year.