Wrestling

Rich

So interesting ratings analysis by Dave Meltzer about the Wednesday Night War. 

when counting DVR numbers, AEW draws about 1.3-1.4 million per week. NXT draws about 1.2 million.  

The reason appears to be AEW viewers being younger and more likely to DVR (it wouldn’t surprise me if some of those people are watching nxt live and DVR’ing AEW too). 

so conclusions you be drawn are AEW exceeds nxt viewership every week by a strong number.  Also in terms of ad sales DVR means nothing.  

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

So interesting ratings analysis by Dave Meltzer about the Wednesday Night War. 

when counting DVR numbers, AEW draws about 1.3-1.4 million per week. NXT draws about 1.2 million.  

The reason appears to be AEW viewers being younger and more likely to DVR (it wouldn’t surprise me if some of those people are watching nxt live and DVR’ing AEW too). 

so conclusions you be drawn are AEW exceeds nxt viewership every week by a strong number.  Also in terms of ad sales DVR means nothing.  

Do you know how streaming numbers work into everything? I watch Dynamite through TSN's website and I wouldn't be shocked if a majority of people in their 20s-30s are streaming as well.

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

How many watch nxt on the network. 

This is all so ridiculous. 

What is?   Objecting to factual analysis because it might not elevate precious wwe which has hemorrhaged viewers at astonishing levels for years?

by the way, anyone watching nxt on the network doesn’t matter to tv sales either.  In fact it likely annoys USA.  Nxt doesn’t simulcast on the network. Your point is moot.   

1 hour ago, ediger said:

Do you know how streaming numbers work into everything? I watch Dynamite through TSN's website and I wouldn't be shocked if a majority of people in their 20s-30s are streaming as well.

That’s a good point. Aew tsn  numbers are relatively low but wwe’s are too though they beat AEW.  Ofcourse that’s raw & sd as we only get nxt on the network.  

the fact WWE’s viewership skews so old while AEW skews younger surely has an effect on things.  

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

How many watch nxt on the network. 

This is all so ridiculous. 

I don't understand what's ridiculous. I'm curious about NXTs streaming numbers as well. If we want to compare total viewers, all platforms need to be taken into consideration. However, like Unknown Poster mentioned, there are more specific metrics that matter re: broadcast deals. I'm not sure what the streaming is like in the US for AEW, but in Canada they benefit from using TSN's streaming platform. Those viewers on TSN.ca will help AEW get a better deal next time. The Network actively takes eyeballs away from WWE's broadcast partners. Not that it's entirely a bad thing, it's just a different model. 

10 hours ago, ediger said:

I don't understand what's ridiculous. I'm curious about NXTs streaming numbers as well. If we want to compare total viewers, all platforms need to be taken into consideration. However, like Unknown Poster mentioned, there are more specific metrics that matter re: broadcast deals. I'm not sure what the streaming is like in the US for AEW, but in Canada they benefit from using TSN's streaming platform. Those viewers on TSN.ca will help AEW get a better deal next time. The Network actively takes eyeballs away from WWE's broadcast partners. Not that it's entirely a bad thing, it's just a different model. 

Yeah and the amount of people in the US who watch nxt on the network would be pretty negligible compared to USA.   But wwe were lucky to get the rights to air it the next day as USA wasn’t letting them air raw & SD until a month later for that reason (to maximize eyeballs on the live broadcast). 

But the network is a diminishing return now anyway.  It may even end up being a failed gambit as it killed PPV business.  Wwe will be introducing a tiered pricing plan with a higher premium price to squeeze out more revenue from the diehards.   Supposedly this would include airing of various indie promotions.  

the real take away from the fact AEW draws more viewers when DVR numbers are counted is it makes their fan base more valuable (younger demo) and shows real options for growth (convert next day viewers into live viewers).  

I also think it correlates to how well AEW does with merch and PPV attendance.  They seem to have a fan base that is sort of a Wm style fan base - they might not watch every week but they’re there when it matters.   

they simply have to try to make more live viewers.  And try to grab some of wwe’s core fan (the over 50 crowd).  It’s amazing how valuable rights fees are now.  ECW was cancelled with a million viewers (partially due to wwe but still, a million viewers today would have got them several big money offers).  TNA was averaging 1.5 million or so on spike and look at them now. 

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yeah and the amount of people in the US who watch nxt on the network would be pretty negligible compared to USA.   But wwe were lucky to get the rights to air it the next day as USA wasn’t letting them air raw & SD until a month later for that reason (to maximize eyeballs on the live broadcast). 

But the network is a diminishing return now anyway.  It may even end up being a failed gambit as it killed PPV business.  Wwe will be introducing a tiered pricing plan with a higher premium price to squeeze out more revenue from the diehards.   Supposedly this would include airing of various indie promotions.  

the real take away from the fact AEW draws more viewers when DVR numbers are counted is it makes their fan base more valuable (younger demo) and shows real options for growth (convert next day viewers into live viewers).  

I also think it correlates to how well AEW does with merch and PPV attendance.  They seem to have a fan base that is sort of a Wm style fan base - they might not watch every week but they’re there when it matters.   

they simply have to try to make more live viewers.  And try to grab some of wwe’s core fan (the over 50 crowd).  It’s amazing how valuable rights fees are now.  ECW was cancelled with a million viewers (partially due to wwe but still, a million viewers today would have got them several big money offers).  TNA was averaging 1.5 million or so on spike and look at them now. 

I've always said, tna just needs more visibility.  Nothing wrong with their product. 

2 hours ago, Goldkobra said:

I've always said, tna just needs more visibility.  Nothing wrong with their product. 

Nothing now.  Don & Scott have done a fantastic job.  I talked to Kenny about this once and he was positive about tna saying it doesn’t have to be a top promotion, just a good place for talent to learn to work TV from people that know what they’re doing.  

But Dixie did so much damage i don’t think they’ll recover much beyond where they are now. Which is still fine.  It’s content for Anthem. And WWE has been interested before so if they ever want to cash in they’d have a buyer (wwe is notoriously cheap with tape libraries now though). 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

So what's the over / under on AEW lasting?  1 year ?  2 year ?   

A legit over under?   I guess 4 years as I believe the VP’s are all signed to 4 year deals.   But the real answer is as long as tnt is supportive they will last forever.  They’re already ahead of expectations in terms of revenue and ratings.  Continue to sell out their major events.   It’s been pretty much a wild success so far.  

9 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

And granddaughter of Joe Blanchard and step daughter of Magnum TA.  Hell of a pedigree.  She’s going to get paid big time when her impact deal is up 

She'd be in the Top 3 women in the WWE. Her feud with Sami Callahan was awesome.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

I don't know,  I've only watched a bit but the bits I did see were really really bad quality.   I can't remember the name I think it was the dark order doing a run in/attack....  I'm not joking when I say the local wrestling had more realistic fighting then that.