Wrestling

Rich

Per Meltzer, Vince called a meeting of raw talent to discuss Saudi. Claimed all the rumours were BS and opened the floor to questions.  No one asked anything.  Randy Orton made a remake to break the tension and Vince said “anyone else want to kiss my ass?”  

Hunter then called out Karl Anderson for his tweet about locker room leaders.  Styles spoke up and said he was really upset at the delay causing him to miss his sons wrestling.   Rusev spoke up to thank (!) wwe for their support in booking hotel rooms.  

in other news there was also a report Kenny had some trouble in japan when he was there last week.  Sounds like border issues and it’s being taken as him being screwed with...

23 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

That vignette be the inner circle had me howling and Cody’s promo has me invested enough to slap 50 bucks down.

Completely agree. I also loved the juxtaposition of the two segments. Sets up just how differently the two are approaching the match. I'm predicting a Jericho win after some Inner Circle fuckery. I think the judges will be a red herring to make you think it's going the distance. The key to booking heels is to have them take away what the crowd wants or prevent the crowd from getting it in the first place. The crowd loves Cody. Just having Jericho win a standard title match wouldn't mean that much. But if Jericho cheats and that takes Cody out of the title picture for the foreseeable future, they'll hate Jericho all that much more.

Edited by ediger

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Best episode of aew thus far.  Really good.  

Oh and CM Punk sort of returns to wwe, joining Fox’s “backstage” show, after it drew only 50,000 viewers last week (drew 100,000 this week).  

I didn't like it, so many bad segments and boring beat downs. Jericho standing in the ring waiting while somebody else kept talking and talking was awkward.

24 minutes ago, MrFreakzilla said:

That is tremendous, no matter how many other people liked it I didn't

For sure. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.   The best shows will be ones that feature something for everyone.  Their shows are not perfect by any means. 

Although they are as close to my own booking philosophy as I’ve seen. But my critiques overall were things like too long of matches with people who weren’t over yet.  And not starting hot enough (ie doing the announcer run down of the card). 

I know some people thought they needed more promos to get people and angles over.  This week was that.  I think their first few weeks were moving the pieces around the chess board.  It seems there has been an uptick in angles.  

I kinda thought the same thing you did when MJF came out and began talking but it didn’t involve Jericho, it meant Jericho has to stand there.  But I thought ‘man Jericho is a pro to be willing to stand there doing nothing’.  The segment was designed to give MJF the rub from Jericho.  I think it worked.  I’ve booked segments where I look at the show and I’ve got two or three promo segments and then I realize we can combine them to make one bigger segment and save on time and save on talking.  That felt like it. Cody has issues with both guys. MJF has to explain his actions.  We had to know if MJF and Jericho were in cahoots.  So it worked as a big segment.  

But I get your point too.  There are also fans that just love wrestling and would love a show that is two hours of straight long great matches.  I don’t think that works. But you have to be cognizant of those fans too.