Wrestling

Rich

Surprised nobody has commented on DoN yet.

Awesome show. Got people talking. If you don't think there's a casual market, you're nuts. My friends and I are in a group text and normally, it's two of us that will talk wrestling and get made fun of by the other eight. Three of them commented how they had heard the AEW show sounded awesome. It had a reach. Heard they did 200k PPV buys which is an insane number.

It was an excellent show. A few hiccups but nothing that derailed things. The Rhodes match was great and one of the goriest matches I've seen in a while. The Jericho/Omega match and the women's tag match were also really good. The battle royal in the pre-show was super fun, too.

I was camping all weekend so I haven't had a chance to watch yet but I've heard good things.  I expected Moxley to show up and wasn't disappointed.  He signed a deal like Omega & Jericho where he can work other places.  He's now off to NJPW (for the G1 maybe?) according to his twitter account.

Edited by bigg jay

2 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

I heard Ashley Massaro died last week.  Only 39 years old.  Apparently it was a suicide.

Where is the Unknown Poster?  He usually provides all the updates here.

Banned.

11 hours ago, ediger said:

It was an excellent show. A few hiccups but nothing that derailed things. The Rhodes match was great and one of the goriest matches I've seen in a while. The Jericho/Omega match and the women's tag match were also really good. The battle royal in the pre-show was super fun, too.

Finally finished watching it tonight, I like the flippy guys/gals best and there was plenty of that, so I was happy.  Really dug the joshi event, hope that AEW keeps pushing that.

I've seen the Lucha Bros on TV a lot and live twice, I'm a big fan of those guys, and it was great to see them against a team that can go as good as they can, maybe even better -- most matches I see of theirs, they're slowing down because their opponents can't match their speed.  It's a weird match when Pentagon is the slowest guy in the ring.

Wasn't so much into the big name matches otherwise, after the relentless pace of the earlier matches, the main event felt a little slow for me.

13 hours ago, johnzo said:

Finally finished watching it tonight, I like the flippy guys/gals best and there was plenty of that, so I was happy.  Really dug the joshi event, hope that AEW keeps pushing that.

I've seen the Lucha Bros on TV a lot and live twice, I'm a big fan of those guys, and it was great to see them against a team that can go as good as they can, maybe even better -- most matches I see of theirs, they're slowing down because their opponents can't match their speed.  It's a weird match when Pentagon is the slowest guy in the ring.

Wasn't so much into the big name matches otherwise, after the relentless pace of the earlier matches, the main event felt a little slow for me.

Forgot to mention the Lucha Bros/Young Bucks match. I really liked that one as well. Overall, I think my favourite part of the show was how well balanced it was. You had fun matches, athletic matches, violent matches, story based matches, brawls, women's matches, singles, tags, young guys, legends, guys in their prime. Just a really great mix.

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

All in got 20k buys ish and 50k Google trends. So doing math DON likely got 60 to 80k buys. 

I'd assume Meltzer would be able to get the info out.  I'm not sure what would be considered a success or even break/even.   

16 minutes ago, JCon said:

Word is that it was between 100k and 200k. That's a huge variance but if it is between them, it's a really, really good number. 

Meltzer was misquoted. Those are the Google trend numbers. The ppv buy numbers wont be out for some time. 

18 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Yes regardless of PPV buys and actual dollar figures, I think the event has to be considered a success due to the amount of "buzz" that has been generated.

It was a great show. Was dirt cheap to stream also. I think its NXT ish... That type of style. Not sure we gonna get blood staple guns and death matches on tv but... Im sure 1 or 2 big matches a week plus enhancement talent for sure. Jobbers coming back. 

Edited by Goalie

Last night was another good show by WPW. Slightly smaller crowd than the first two but still a solid turn out. Kevin Chevy has improved so much over the past few years. His match with Airwolf was great. AJ Sanchez vs Josh Alexander was another really good match, as was the main event between Shotzi Blackheart, Jody Threat and a third woman who's name I didn't catch.

On 2019-05-29 at 6:50 AM, Goalie said:

All in got 20k buys ish and 50k Google trends. So doing math DON likely got 60 to 80k buys. 

98k is the early estimate from Meltzer:

“Double or Nothing is currently estimated at doing roughly 98,000 buys between television and digital PPV, with close to a 50/50 split between the two,”