Wrestling

Rich

https://www.f4wonline.com/mexico/silver-king-passes-away-after-collapsing-during-match-283541

César Cuauhtémoc González Barrón, best known in the wrestling world as Silver King, passed away today during the course of a match in London, England at the age of 51.

thecubsfan on Twitter has confirmed that he has passed away. At this point, it is unclear what the cause of death is.

He was wrestling Juventud Guerrera for the Lucha Libre World promotion’s “The Greatest Show of Lucha Libre” event at the Roundhouse. King hit Juventud with a flying clothesline during the match then went for a cover. Juventud kicked out, but it appeared after this that King was struggling to move. Juventud kicked Silver King in the collarbone then went for a cover, but King was unresponsive as Guerrera tried to roll him over. The referee, Black Terry, paused before he hit his hand the third time, but eventually did make the three count, ending the match.

According to those in the arena, the rest of the show was cancelled.

Silver King, son of Dr. Wagner, started wrestling in November of 1985. After losing his mask a few years later, he began teaming with El Texano and together they were known as Los Cowboys. During the course of his career, he wrestled for UWA, CMLL and AAA among other promotions in Mexico.

King may be best known in the United States for his appearances in WCW, joining the promotion in 1997. He mainly worked with other luchadores in six man tag matches, though he also was a part of WCW cruiserweight division.

He continued to wrestle in Mexico after his release from WCW in 2000 and also wrestled in Japan as the third iteration of the Black Tiger persona for New Japan Pro Wrestling.

17 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Theres a video of Silver Kings in ring death. Im not a DR but im guessing he was dead almost instantly but the delays there were horrific. 

When someone has a heart attack or stroke then seconds are indeed precious. Looks like they didn't have the medical personnel or equipment there to save Silver King.

22 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

When someone has a heart attack or stroke then seconds are indeed precious. Looks like they didn't have the medical personnel or equipment there to save Silver King.

I think he was gone in seconds but.. Yeah they delayed so much if he wasnt Dead, he certainly had very little chance of surviving. 

Apparently no doctor on hand at this show.  For a major promotion that’s really something.  Should always have at least a doctor or paramedic.  When the Manitoba government was investigating wrestling, it was something that was brought up. But of course no small Indy can afford it. Having CPR/First aid trained people on hand isn’t hard though. 

48 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Ill be honest... TBS would have been more convenient for me. 

I wonder if they are working on a Canadian deal?  Nitro was also on TNT and TSN aired it (not live though) so maybe we see something like that?  TSN did lose WWE to Sportsnet so they might want to work with AEW.

3 hours ago, bigg jay said:

I wonder if they are working on a Canadian deal?  Nitro was also on TNT and TSN aired it (not live though) so maybe we see something like that?  TSN did lose WWE to Sportsnet so they might want to work with AEW.

I thought I read something a while back about a Canadian broadcast partner but there's been so many rumours and half-truths floating around that I can't keep it all straight anymore.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Hopefully not fight network if that even is still a thing....

Regardless I'd assume each episode would be live streamed online....

As long as Anthem is trying to make Impact work, I can't see them adding a direct competitor to the Fight Network. 

I still don't think the Market is there.. I think they draw what ROH or TNA or MLW draws... Problem is the same dude watching AEW is likely watching those other 3 also. That's a few hundred thousand. Hope I'm wrong but dont see ppl caring much about pro wrestling these last several years. Attitude era aka Monday Night Wars was 20 plus years ago.. That means a good portion of fans are now grown up with kids watching other forms of entertainment. A generation or 2 of fans left 20 years ago and never came back. 

I look at this as a casual fan... Im not sure theres much of an appeal to watch AEW. Bunch of cruiserweights really and Jericho. If im a casual to me Omega and the sorts ( i like them) but whats the diff between him and Styles or Rollins. 

They dont look like the wrestlers i watched growing up. 

How did we all start watching? Likely as kids with our dads. That to me is the main issue here... How do u not grow up watching wrestling as a kid but then become a fan later. 

I think More ECW than WCW here... By that i mean... Niche market. 

Edited by Goalie

ECW had a nice audience back when it was on the country channel  (TNN).    If AEW could get that kind of audience then that isn't a bad thing to start off with.

When I watched ECW it didn't need to have roided up monsters like Hogan and Warrior.   My favorite matches were ones that involved RVD,  Jerry Lynn,  2 Cold Scorpio and Sabu.  None of those guys are massive but they could put on great matches.   

I'd imagine they can get the 18  - 45 male audience by providing an edgier product.    I don't think it need to go full blown ECW with staple guns and barbed wire ropes.   It wouldn't hurt though if they had more storylines similar to Raven /  Tommy Dreamer and if they didn't have cartoon character personalities like WWE. 

Edited by Brandon