Wrestling

Rich

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I figured he was WWE-bound...until AEW really began making noise and then it became a no-brainer that he would stay.  When the story about WWE offering $3.5 million surfaced and he didnt take it, it was pretty clear he was doing what he said he'd do along - stick with his friends.  Which, if you think about him as a person, he's always done.

This is pretty much what I figured... once Meltzer reported that he turned down the WWE offer, you pretty much knew what was happening.  It's wrestling though so it's never a done deal until you see it with your own eyes.

Something I found interesting is that NJPW removed the profiles for Baretta & Chucky T almost instantly when they jumped yesterday but Kenny's profile is still up.  I wonder if they are hoping they can still work with him like they are with Jericho.

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

So will he be making comparable salary in AEW as he would in WWE?     

Do we know how much Jericho is going to get paid yet?

I havent seen it come out what Jericho is making but but he said it was the highest pay he's ever received.  

If the $3.5 million offer to Kenny from WWE was true, I suspect he's in that neighborhood.   Because he is clearly the top free agent in the business.  Maybe its less when less dates are factored in.  It will probably come out eventually.

Even in WWE, if you get a $1 million offer, you're making far more than that unless you're hurt all year.  Most people in WWE make over a million.  Whats changed is WWE is guaranteeing you more by offering higher down side deals (meaning if you're hurt or they hold you off TV or sell no merch, you still make that.  Kenny surely would have made more than his WWE offer unless he was hurt.

AEW would be, at worst, competitive, if not more.  Plus if he's a VP, he's likely drawing an employee salary and getting all those benefits.  I'd suspect AEW talent gets a bigger percentage of their merch than WWE and obviously more creative input.

1 minute ago, bigg jay said:

This is pretty much what I figured... once Meltzer reported that he turned down the WWE offer, you pretty much knew what was happening.  It's wrestling though so it's never a done deal until you see it with your own eyes.

Something I found interesting is that NJPW removed the profiles for Baretta & Chucky T almost instantly when they jumped yesterday but Kenny's profile is still up.  I wonder if they are hoping they can still work with him like they are with Jericho.

There was supposedly heat over Baretta being signed but other reports say no.  It could be a matter of their AEW deals not allowing New Japan.

There isnt a standard AEW deal and different guys have different deals.  Jericho, for example, can work New Japan.  Others can work MLW.  I suspect Omega would get what he wants so if that means leaving New Japan open as a possibility, then so be it.  And that might be why.  New Japan thought they'd keep Kenny...it took them by surprise when he gave that Tokyo Sports interview saying he was not re-signing with them.

There is some speculation that New Japan is in a bit of a pickle because they are partners with ROH on the MSG shows Wrestlemania weekend so even if they wanted to have a formal relationship with AEW, it would look bad and they are already in bed with ROH anyway.  But New japan is traditionally, very very loyal to it's partners.  But again, the Omega thing took them by surprise.  And they want to keep Jericho too (he's a bit different because he's essentially part time anyway).

It could be that New Japan and AEW both want to be in bed together but the plan is to wait beyond WM weekend and for AEW to announce their TV plans before formalizing anything.

Or New Japan just hasnt gotten around to taking down his profile lol

I talked to Metlzer a couple months ago and it was interesting because we were both of the same mind.  I had said I didnt see Kenny going to WWE but now I was thinking it was very possible and Dave said he thought it was 0% chance and now thought it was 50-50.

But I bet we find out from Kenny that he was open to offers but was always planning to stick with his friends.  He just holds things close to his vest.

AEW certainly has the tag and cruiserweight division. The LGBTQ factor also with the one girl and Omega also. Rumors are hes gay or bi. Believe he has said he's bi. 

But.. I dont see casuals sticking around for long as they dont have anybody with legit star power outside of Omega. 

Jericho vs Omega? At what point does believability become a factor.. Omega is younger and in shape.. Jericho is 50 and has a gut. Just saying. If i was booking the rematch... Omega squashes him. Why? Cuz no way 50 year old y2gut should be able to hang with Omega, especially since omega is the only legit star they have. You cant have him look like he could barely beat a 50 yr old. 

Wonder if anyone realizes new japan has a working relationship with cmll and AEW with AAA. 

Speaking of New Japan.... Doesnt seem like the market is there... 

https://www.sescoops.com/attendance-figures-for-njpw-the-new-beginning-usa-tour/

Edited by Goalie

13 minutes ago, Goalie said:

AEW certainly has the tag and cruiserweight division. The LGBTQ factor also with the one girl and Omega also. Rumors are hes gay or bi. Believe he has said he's bi. 

But.. I dont see casuals sticking around for long as they dont have anybody with legit star power outside of Omega. 

Jericho vs Omega? At what point does believability become a factor.. Omega is younger and in shape.. Jericho is 50 and has a gut. Just saying. If i was booking the rematch... Omega squashes him. Why? Cuz no way 50 year old y2gut should be able to hang with Omega, especially since omega is the only legit star they have. You cant have him look like he could barely beat a 50 yr old. 

Wonder if anyone realizes new japan has a working relationship with cmll and AEW with AAA. 

https://www.sescoops.com/attendance-figures-for-njpw-the-new-beginning-usa-tour/

Thank goodness you're not booking.  

20 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Lol this has to be a joke right? 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

You mean to say they have a hard time drawing if their biggest Japanese names aren't booked and they just lost their biggest North American draws?  Go figure!

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

You mean to say they have a hard time drawing if their biggest Japanese names aren't booked and they just lost their biggest North American draws?  Go figure!

So what's the diff between that roster and AEW then? Bunch of cruiserweights. 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Lol this has to be a joke right? 

No. Its legit. In what world is a 50 year old fat jericho able to hang with the much younger omega. Predetermined or not.. No way your only homegrown star should have troubles with a 50 yr old. 

13 minutes ago, Goalie said:

So what's the diff between that roster and AEW then? Bunch of cruiserweights. 

12 minutes ago, Goalie said:

No. Its legit. In what world is a 50 year old fat jericho able to hang with the much younger omega. Predetermined or not.. No way your only homegrown star should have troubles with a 50 yr old. 

So last year it was cool but this year it isn’t?  

Man I realize you’re a wwe fan but holy smokes are these bad takes. 

The age difference between them is the same as it was when they met previously and there were zero issues then so why is it an issue now?  Is Jericho the same worker he was 10 years ago? Nope, but if you watch his last few matches, he can still go.  

There are definitely guys who have hung on too long and should have stopped sooner but Jericho isn't at that point.

Jericho also uses a style that fits his age these days. It's dirty, lots of cheap shots. You can play up the angle of the crafty veteran being too wily for the younger more athletic Omega.

And as far as the difference between the NJPW US tour roster and the AEW roster. Are you kidding me? That tour is the leftovers after AEW took the top North American stars from New Japan.

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

I don't think I've ever seen WWE , WCW , TNA , ECW, WWF , WWWF ever have a match with an older wrestler vs a guy in his athletic prime...

I've never ever had to suspend disbelief of reality to watch wrestling.  

Hornswaggle as a leprechaun is certainly real. The Undertaker as an actual dead man is sooo real. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27