Wrestling

Rich

11 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Its likely a work here. They never announce this stuff. 

Man, it amazes me the word mark annoys people in here... But i read multiple posts and its basically mark central

Why do you use it like an insult when you're a big mark yourself?

EDIT: the last few posts are yours, mine and speedflex.  Nothing about speedflex's posts are deserving of scorn.  Certainly not mine.  So...who are you talking about?  Why dont you just try engaging in mature discussion with people about topics that interest you rather then the usual petty insults and then disappear?  if you're so advanced in the wrestling game, you should be able to have some really thoughtful discussions here.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

On ‎2019‎-‎01‎-‎28 at 5:17 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

I enjoyed Lacey as well. Just needs work. But she could be great in a character role and not put on the position to look bad.  

Kacy is green but amazing athlete. 

Im partial to Ruby Riot. Push her more!

Not impressed with Sarah Logan. She just isn't that good.

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Does that mean he'll be pulled from tv & PPV's? Sounds like it.

They should. I’f it’s legit. I’m guessing they released a statement to avoid it becoming a story. They might lob him out but it would make sense to send him home. 

I got the impression from raw that they might have been leaning towards dean vs hunter at WM

7 hours ago, Goalie said:

Its likely a work here. They never announce this stuff. 

Man, it amazes me the word mark annoys people in here... But i read multiple posts and its basically mark central

Hellebuyck will never win a Stanley Cup. Overrated. This season proves he can't win. Big contract & even more soft goals go in.

11 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

KENTA (Hideo Itami) asked for and was granted his release by WWE. 

crazy. If AEW has done anything it’s made wrestling super interesting again 

This Kenta stuff dates back some time ago. The reality is he was a hell of a talent who unfortunately was injured lots. Lets be honest here.. If you want AEW to succeed they cant be picking up every WWE reject... Otherwise they are just TNA and right now.. They are without a tv deal

Honestly until they get a tv deal.. Until its announced and its not HSN or some obscure channel... Pump the breaks i think. 

Also if ppl are actually being honest..  Nobody cares about Itami or the Revival or whatever other mid card guy asked for a release. Mike and Maria etc.. Who cares. AEW shouldn't care.. Cuz the masses dont care. 

KENTA? Who da fook is that. If you aren't being a butthurt mark who takes the term mark as an insult when it really just means fickle fan, nobody gives a fook. 

Ambrose? Again.. Do u want AEW to be TNA with WWE rejects? 

Edited by Goalie

Ill say this... Omega.. Hes their star... Or he could be.. Problem tho is.. The masses, not the internet marks but the masses, the casuals, the ppl not from his hometown.. Nobody knows who he is. AEW is gonna have a tough time convincing casuals that Stardust, 2 DX ripoffs and a 5 10 cruiserweight is competiton. I wish them well but the avg AEW age is older than WWE right now.. And the average weight is cruiserweight which the casuals dont seem to enjoy. You wont compete if you are playing to the internet marks. You need to draw in the casuals... Jericho? That's great but whats gonna keep them hooked? Stardust? Dx ripoff? Kenny "oh he's similar to AJ Styles" Omega? I dunno. 

For the record im a kenny fan and just ordered his new shirt from pro wrestling tees... But it seems that outside of some internet fans... Nobody knows who he is... What makes him unique? I know what does but to the casuals hes just seth rollins or aj styles with curly hair. 

Edited by Goalie

18 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Why do you use it like an insult when you're a big mark yourself?

EDIT: the last few posts are yours, mine and speedflex.  Nothing about speedflex's posts are deserving of scorn.  Certainly not mine.  So...who are you talking about?  Why dont you just try engaging in mature discussion with people about topics that interest you rather then the usual petty insults and then disappear?  if you're so advanced in the wrestling game, you should be able to have some really thoughtful discussions here.

Lol @ you being such a mark that you think im using it as an insult.. Shouldn't u be booking the Royal Rumble tho? I MEAN.. at what point do u just stop and be a fan instead of these internet marks who know it all about everything? I Guess Ill give u props cuz u actually do it at times in real life.. The ppl i refer to as internet marks are The ones who own wwe ps4 version and think cuz they have played that they know it all. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

This Kenta stuff dates back some time ago. The reality is he was a hell of a talent who unfortunately was injured lots. Lets be honest here.. If you want AEW to succeed they cant be picking up every WWE reject... Otherwise they are just TNA and right now.. They are without a tv deal

Honestly until they get a tv deal.. Until its announced and its not HSN or some obscure channel... Pump the breaks i think. 

Also if ppl are actually being honest..  Nobody cares about Itami or the Revival or whatever other mid card guy asked for a release. Mike and Maria etc.. Who cares. AEW shouldn't care.. Cuz the masses dont care. 

KENTA? Who da fook is that. If you aren't being a butthurt mark who takes the term mark as an insult when it really just means fickle fan, nobody gives a fook. 

Ambrose? Again.. Do u want AEW to be TNA with WWE rejects? 

The thing is, if you don't care thats cool.  Its like someone posting in the hockey section about a team not re-signing a player that never played.  Its still news.  In the context of wrestling KENTA was a huge star.  It just never worked out for him in WWE.  The newsworthiness is not that he asked for his release but that WWE granted it.  And in the context of several wrestlers asking for their release at the same time a new promotion with the richest owners in the business is offering big deals as well as established promotions like ROH offering better deals, its news.

If you think Ambrose is a WWE reject and not a huge opportunity for AEW, you're really not thinking.

51 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Ill say this... Omega.. Hes their star... Or he could be.. Problem tho is.. The masses, not the internet marks but the masses, the casuals, the ppl not from his hometown.. Nobody knows who he is. AEW is gonna have a tough time convincing casuals that Stardust, 2 DX ripoffs and a 5 10 cruiserweight is competiton. I wish them well but the avg AEW age is older than WWE right now.. And the average weight is cruiserweight which the casuals dont seem to enjoy. You wont compete if you are playing to the internet marks. You need to draw in the casuals... Jericho? That's great but whats gonna keep them hooked? Stardust? Dx ripoff? Kenny "oh he's similar to AJ Styles" Omega? I dunno. 

For the record im a kenny fan and just ordered his new shirt from pro wrestling tees... But it seems that outside of some internet fans... Nobody knows who he is... What makes him unique? I know what does but to the casuals hes just seth rollins or aj styles with curly hair. 

You've said this before and its still hilariously wrong.  Kenny barely works in Canada so you incorrectly assume that he's not a huge world-wide star.  You need to get out more.  

The one thing we'd likely agree on is he's a massive star in Japan.  Tons of endorsements, drew huge crowds on shows he main evented.  

In the US, he set records for ROH attendance on shows he was added to.  The reason there is a Hot Topic deal in the first place is because of the huge amount of Bullet Club merch at WM a couple years ago.  

Im not even sure what sense you're trying to make when you pretend no one knows him and then you say casual fans see him like Seth & Styles who are two of the biggest stars in the biggest company in the world.  I'd say if casual fans see him in that vein, that's a compliment.  You just don't make sense when you try to flex your "too cool for wrestling" crap.

The reason Bell jumped at the chance to finance a documentary on Omega is not because no one knows who he is...think about it.  They didnt have to accept the pitch...they loved it.  Why do you think that is?  Why did WWE make him a huge offer?  Because no one knows him?  Come on...

I dont know if AEW's average age is higher than WWE.  The only over 40 guy they have is Jericho and WWE has several.  AEW also has a few pretty young guys.  But WWE has been doing this for decades.  AEW has been doing it for a month.  Reportedly they want a crew of around 30-ish so they're going pretty small to start.  Obviously they would not sign everyone who leaves WWE.

The thing is, the reason talent is asking for releases could be varied.  AEW isnt going to sign them all.  Would they sign Maria & Mike?  Probably not (though Maria has name value).  But everyone is offering more money right now (except maybe Impact).  It used to be that you'd quietly be miserable in WWE but now you dont have to.  And its not just big companies...the price for indie guys has gone up, I can attest to that personally.  

So...Mike & Maria: Maybe AEW would be interest but I'd suspect they'd look at ROH (and possibly New Japan).

Revival: Super talented and obviously unhappy in WWE.  Know the Bucks (they've worked an internet feud).  AEW will have a better focus on tag teams just by virtue of the Bucks being in the office and they need other teams to work with.  AEW would sign the Revival.

KENTA: 38 and suffered several injuries.  Would be able to make money as a free agent working indies and bouncing around.  I'd suspect ROH, AEW, Impact and New Japan would all have some interest.  He might just want to go home.

Dean Ambrose: assuming it's not a work, its a HUGE deal he is leaving WWE (and odd that WWE would announce it, likely to be out in front of the story because its big).  Good worker, great charisma and mic skills, in his prime...top guy in WWE, would be a big signing for AEW.

Sasha Banks: routinely complains and is well known to be unhappy.  AEW likely scoops her up the second she's free.

Brock: This is right up Brock's alley as he masterfully plays Vince against UFC every single time...with the FOX deal kicking in this year, WWE needs mainstream stars and Brock will absolutely be thrilled there is a third option he can use to play against Vince for big money.

The list goes on and on.

And the only person in wrestling who cares about size over talent is Vince.  

45 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Lol @ you being such a mark that you think im using it as an insult.. Shouldn't u be booking the Royal Rumble tho? I MEAN.. at what point do u just stop and be a fan instead of these internet marks who know it all about everything? I Guess Ill give u props cuz u actually do it at times in real life.. The ppl i refer to as internet marks are The ones who own wwe ps4 version and think cuz they have played that they know it all. 

You can try to walk it back but you have used the term as an insult multiple times. 

Which people posting here come across as PS4 playing fans who think they know it all?  Maybe my perspective is different because I WANT to encourage people to be wrestling fans (and support indie wrestling).  But how's it different from internet fans of hockey or football, some who think they know everything?  How often do we discuss how stupid a coach is when we've never participated in the sport at that level?  What's the difference?

You're a knowledgeable fan.  I get the impression it annoys you that I am also a knowledgeable fan and IN the business.  Dont be insecure about it.  I prefer when I see people post in the other threads who have more knowledge than me about a subject because I like to learn and engage in quality discussion.  I like seeing you post here because you're clearly knowledgeable.  But if you have an issue with me, air it...or PM me.  You passive aggressive stuff is just lame.  I can take it (cause Ill win every argument about wrestling), but dont insult other fans and chase them from the discussion.  Thats not cool.

Another markish post about a news item involving a pending free agent.

Jim Ross:

“There [are] a lot of big things on the horizon. I’ll leave you with that. There [are] so many rumors out there, ‘this is going to happen,’ ‘that is going to happen.’ All I can tell you is this: I’m not keeping any secret. My contract with WWE is up at the end of March. What happens after that is not up to me entirely. It takes two to tango on any front you go to. So, all I know is I’m not worried about any of it. I’m not worried about how to get my groceries in 2019. All is good. Life is good. it’s going to be an amazing year. Huge things on the horizon. I’ve got a feeling. I really believe that for all of us, and no better time in our lifetime to be a wrestling fan.”

In regards to Goalie's rant...

I was a massive wrestling fan in the 80's and during the late 90's early 2000's.     

Outside of the guys who are old as dirt (Kurt Angle,  Kane,  Big Show ,  HHH etc...)   I wouldn't be able to name more then maybe 5 guys on the WWE roster.   I have zero idea on who is big and who is not.

I will assume that AEW will be trying to attract a new audience and not trying to steal fans away from the WWE product.   So for me if the product is entertaining and not focused on 12 year old boys ... I don't care who is wrestling I will be tuning in for the show.

It reminds me of back in the mid 90's when ECW started getting popular... I had no idea who most of the stars were (despite many being WWE rejects) but the show itself won me over and it was much watch wrestling for me.  

6 minutes ago, Brandon said:

In regards to Goalie's rant...

I was a massive wrestling fan in the 80's and during the late 90's early 2000's.     

Outside of the guys who are old as dirt (Kurt Angle,  Kane,  Big Show ,  HHH etc...)   I wouldn't be able to name more then maybe 5 guys on the WWE roster.   I have zero idea on who is big and who is not.

I will assume that AEW will be trying to attract a new audience and not trying to steal fans away from the WWE product.   So for me if the product is entertaining and not focused on 12 year old boys ... I don't care who is wrestling I will be tuning in for the show.

It reminds me of back in the mid 90's when ECW started getting popular... I had no idea who most of the stars were (despite many being WWE rejects) but the show itself won me over and it was much watch wrestling for me.  

And ECW was doing over a million people with no promotion from the network.  And WWE helped them out because they were sick of ECW chants (which still happen).

The idea is not to get non-fans to watch.  Its to appeal to wrestling fans.  You will always have your fans who are "just" WWE fans and dont know who Okada is or the Bucks.  But there are a lot of fans that do.  At a time when WWE is losing fans (ie. they are producing content that their regular fans are actively turning away from), to have a viable alternative on TV would be a potentially big deal.  Of course, they need a good TV deal first.

WWE probably needs 3 million consistently on FOX for it to not be a failure.  AEW?  Way less.

But why a guy like Ambrose is so valuable (and same with the rumors of Goldberg) is that even fans that barely go near the internet will know them.  But really, the internet game is pretty big.  WWE drives its fans towards social media so much so its not hard for those fans to "hear" about other wrestlers too.

If no one knew who the Bucks were or Kenny, they wouldnt have Hot Topic merch deals and outsell WWE merch at Pro Wrestling Tees.

But if Jericho or Ambrose (maybe) or Jim Ross (maybe) or Kenny gets "wwe fans" to try the TV, if the content is good, then you get to know guys like Sky and Jungle Boy etc.  AEW doesnt want a bunch of WWE guys...they want to sign talented indie guys.  The goal is to have a TV show that is good and people want to see it.  Exactly like you said about ECW.

Weekly dose of news from Meltzer and others:

- AEW's ticket party in Las Vegas is Feb. 7th.  They're hoping for some surprises and this would be the right place to announce Kenny (and who wouldnt rather be in Vegas than Winnipeg right now?).  

- AEW Merch sales have far exceeded expectations in the short time they've been on sale.  They signed an Action Figure deal with LJN which did the WWE figures in the 80's.

- Matt Sydal's contract with Impact expired and he's a free agent (recovering from an injury).  Everyone is interested in him.  He was in WWE as Evan Bourne and would be solid for 205 Live but he'd be great in AEW as well.  I wouldnt be surprised if he's in Vegas.

- Credit to Impact.  They had Sonjay Dutt under contract but he received a job offer from WWE to come in as a producer (agent) and Impact released him to take the gig.  He was a jack of all trades for Impact, writing the shows with Jimmy Jacobs, doing talent payroll, talent relations etc.  Impact brought in Tommy Dreamer & Konnan to the creative team to replace him (and Abyss, though Abyss wasnt on creative anymore, he was in the office).

- WWE is doing a new Diva Search show, this time called Finding the Next Woman Superstar.  Production company behind Total Divas, Total Bellas and the Kardashian's are doing the show.

- AJ Styles contract is up in April.  Talk about amazing timing.  He will be sought after by absolutely everyone but is likely to stay in WWE (and surely with a big raise, though he makes big money already and the contracts are for downside guarantees which everyone surpasses).

- Ambrose deal expires in April as well.  So far, it seems like its legit and WWE releasing the news seems like it was just to get in front of the story (they had media asking them and their statement was simply a response to media and then when it went all over, WWE put it on their website).  Some of the boys think its a work.  There is also the issue of Ambrose missing time for injury and WWE could try to tack it on the end of his contract (like they did with Rey and Bryan).  But since they publicly said April, they'd look bad if they tried that.  He was offered a 5 year deal at over $1 million per year which is a really high downside, but Ambrose was making more than that anyway and has done very well.  Ambrose is pals with Cody and Jericho and they will be strongly interested in him if he wants to go there.

- The KENTA release...he has a 90 day no compete but its being speculated that he might have promised not to work for AEW (or ROH etc) to get the release.  It would make sense if his goal was to just go home to Japan where his old promotion NOAH was recently bought and has more money behind it.

- Jericho is talking with New japan about a return there.  His AEW deal allows him to do both.  His AEW contract is high and comparable to among the highest in WWE (below Cena & Brock ofcourse, but among the highest of the others).

- Wrestle Mania is scheduled to be Brock vs Seth and Ronda vs Becky vs Charlotte in the main event spot.

- WWE has hired Shane Helms, Dutt, Jeff Jarrett, Shawn Daivari, Abyss in backstage roles.  Pretty interesting.  Jeremy Borash was close to many of them from his time in TNA and was hired for WWE last year or two and is close with Hunter in NXT.  People think Hunter continues to assemble "his team" for when he takes over from Vince.

- The weird finish on SD where R-Truth beat Nak for the US title in what appeared to be a screw up was done by design.  Nak then tweeted out "WCW".  But it seems WWE is doing some weird stuff now.  Some social media is legit and others are works (see Ronda/Becky).  But Nak could also have been legitimately annoyed with losing the title to Truth.  Who knows...lol

- Brock is signed with WWE through Wrestlemania, probably through the next Saudi show.  But he's also in the USADA testing pool so he can fight MMA if he so desires.  His WWE deal allows him to take a UFC fight.  Also no more Jimmy John's sponsorship for Brock.

- Kushida to WWE.  Which probably wont work out well.

On ‎2019‎-‎01‎-‎30 at 2:32 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

And ECW was doing over a million people with no promotion from the network.  And WWE helped them out because they were sick of ECW chants (which still happen).

The idea is not to get non-fans to watch.  Its to appeal to wrestling fans.  You will always have your fans who are "just" WWE fans and dont know who Okada is or the Bucks.  But there are a lot of fans that do.  At a time when WWE is losing fans (ie. they are producing content that their regular fans are actively turning away from), to have a viable alternative on TV would be a potentially big deal.  Of course, they need a good TV deal first.

WWE probably needs 3 million consistently on FOX for it to not be a failure.  AEW?  Way less.

But why a guy like Ambrose is so valuable (and same with the rumors of Goldberg) is that even fans that barely go near the internet will know them.  But really, the internet game is pretty big.  WWE drives its fans towards social media so much so its not hard for those fans to "hear" about other wrestlers too.

If no one knew who the Bucks were or Kenny, they wouldnt have Hot Topic merch deals and outsell WWE merch at Pro Wrestling Tees.

But if Jericho or Ambrose (maybe) or Jim Ross (maybe) or Kenny gets "wwe fans" to try the TV, if the content is good, then you get to know guys like Sky and Jungle Boy etc.  AEW doesnt want a bunch of WWE guys...they want to sign talented indie guys.  The goal is to have a TV show that is good and people want to see it.  Exactly like you said about ECW.

The Wrestling Wars Part 2?

On ‎2019‎-‎01‎-‎29 at 6:51 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

They should. I’f it’s legit. I’m guessing they released a statement to avoid it becoming a story. They might lob him out but it would make sense to send him home. 

I got the impression from raw that they might have been leaning towards dean vs hunter at WM

The burial of Dean Ambrose continued tonight.

So about five weeks after the entire McMahon family promised change, nothing has changed.  

The steph/becky segment was, generally, good.  But Steph always does little things to avoid being shown up too bad.  She's out there in high heel boots to add to her height so she towers over Becky.  Blows smoke up Becky's ass to ensure the fans dont completely boo her.  And when getting beat up by one half of your WM main event, Steph makes her own comeback by kicking Becky in the knee.  The male authority figures, THEY can get beat up, not Steph.  Too funny.

Ronda...just let her be a full fledged heel.  Fans WANT to boo her and man, her scripted promos are terrible.

So they bury Angle the last few weeks and low and behold, Seth gets hurt so they have to change directions and frantically heat Angle back up to take Seth's place against Drew & Corbin.  

I love some nostalgia and it's nice to see Jeff Jarrett as opposed to the usual group of "legends" but man...they didnt do him any favours by having him do all his heel catch phrases AND be saddled with Road Dogg.  To be fair, when Road Dogg was fired from WWE and had a serious drug & alcohol problem, was down and out and needed a job, JJ hired him at TNA and took care of him.  This is Dogg returning the favour.  

Its now a DQ to hit the illegal man in a tag match?  Oy.  

In news that actually matters, AEW is said to be closing in on their TV deal.  Meltzer reported they have two offers and both are more prestige than SPIKE (the last non-WWE promotion to get a major deal, TNA on SPIKE).  Its heavily believed one of them is TNT (or TBS) as it was reported AEW team was negotiating the deal on the weekend and they were in Atlanta...but with the Superbowl having a lot of media around, who knows.  

It would be pretty cool for them to end up on WCW's old network.  AEW had originally trademarked "Tuesday Night Dynamite" but has since backed away from the Tuesday thing which also lends credence to a Turner station because I believe Tuesday night isnt available.  Wednesday would seem to be the likely night.  

16 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The burial of Dean Ambrose continued tonight.

It used to be called putting people over on the way out. They all used to do that.. Razor Diesel.. They all did. List is long.. Its not a burial.. Its Ambrose sticking with tradition.