Wrestling

Rich

Some unconfirmed rumours that AEW has a deal done with Turner to air on TNT and its big money and multi-year, that AEW will offer health insurance, TV will be Tuesday (I think one of the trademarks they registered was a Tuesday night show).

Rally begins at 4pm and apparently there are several hundred people lined up to get in.  Bucks flew to Jacksonville on Khan's private jet.

Apparently they will reveal some talent tonight that hasnt been mentioned including "surprises".  PAC (Neville in WWE) is allegedly one of them.  Speculation Kenny could be there.

Conrad Thompson (Ric Flair's son-in-law) is one of the hosts of the rally.  He produced the Starrcast event at All In.

11 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Some unconfirmed rumours that AEW has a deal done with Turner to air on TNT and its big money and multi-year, that AEW will offer health insurance, TV will be Tuesday (I think one of the trademarks they registered was a Tuesday night show).

Rally begins at 4pm and apparently there are several hundred people lined up to get in.  Bucks flew to Jacksonville on Khan's private jet.

Apparently they will reveal some talent tonight that hasnt been mentioned including "surprises".  PAC (Neville in WWE) is allegedly one of them.  Speculation Kenny could be there.

Conrad Thompson (Ric Flair's son-in-law) is one of the hosts of the rally.  He produced the Starrcast event at All In.

Who's going to work as announcers?

28 minutes ago, JCon said:

Who's going to work as announcers?

Justin Roberts is involved.  He did All In and was a ring announcer with WWE.

Todd Pettengill is at the rally hosting as well so he's possible.  They used Bobby Cruise, Don Callis and Sean Mooney at All In.  I'd expect them all to be possibilities.

EDIT: I should add that Jim Ross is rumoured to be apart of this, particularly in some of the behind the scenes aspect (he was VP in WWE and WCW) but he could be involved in announcing.  If its me, I try to scoop Tony Schiavone and Don Callis as my TV announcers.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Over 30,000 watching the live youtube stream (and thats with some streaming issues lol).

Forgot to mention Chris Daniels, Frankie Kaz, Scorpio Sky all signed.  Billy Gunn is there.  Jaguars Cheerleaders!

EDIT: Over 40,000 watching now.  Cody made an interesting remark.  He said in wrestling the wrestlers are the least paid.  And its true when you compare it to major sports where the talent have aprox 50% split of revenue.  In wrestling its way way lower.  Cody said in AEW they intend to change that.  More money for the talent.  

EDIT: Bucks talking now.  Said Khan family approached them and Cody and asked them if they really wanted to change the world.

Joey Janella.  Penelope.  MJF (he's 23 and really good).  

Hangman Page ofcourse.

Over 53,000 people watching.

EDIT: Neville (PAC) out now.  Looking jacked.

EDIT 2: Announces second show will be in Jacksonville and partial proceeds to fight gun violence.

EDIT 3: Chris Jericho!

Jericho is 50. Remember Angle in TNA? Barely moved the needle. If It was 15 years ago maybe... 

Hope AEW works out.. But i already see huge issues for them and the main one being im not sure if the niche market is big enough even with TV deal. 

The biggest problem tho is the fickle fans they are catering 2 who hate wwe but will pop for ex wwe guys. 

Lets be honest..50 yr old pT jericho isnt a draw and neither is Neville and despite what some think... Omega is not well known in the states at all. 

What makes him better than AJ Styles? Im just saying.. Catering to the roh fanbase isnt gonna get the job done. 

Right now.. Its a bunch of talk but how are u gonna convince casual fans to tune in when they see stardust neville 50 yr old Jericho and a bunch of lets be honest... Midgets. 

I dont see the diff between AEW or roh or impact or mlw for that matter. 

That is THE competition for them.. Its not WWE.. Its the indy feds i mentioned.. Mlw impact even roh and to a lesser extent NJPW which are all established brands who dont draw **** in reality in the states 

60000 watching eh? Cool.. Thats grear but to compete with the E you gonna need 2 million more tuning in.. 

Where are those 2 million cuz they aint watching roh mlw impact or Japan

Honestly the roster is quite underwhelming at the moment... 

Its truly ROH but with some hype. 

ROH isnt a huge draw. 

Not sure the money or fans are there for this to be more than just a glorified indy fed owned by billionaires. 

All in was special cuz it was funded by the boys... They are no longer All in.. Its not double or nothing.. Its playing with someone elses money. 

Huge diverse crowd tho of maybe 3500 ppl.... There were a few fat white guys a few skinny white guys and like 6 women.. 

Edited by Goalie

10 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I am unaware of any of those leagues having North American TV deals that many people can access?

As for the midgets comments..   I seem to remember guys like Shawn Micheals, Ric Flair and Bret Hart getting over despite being average heights?  

If AEW gets a good tv deal and if they have good angles / story lines and something that can draw adults to watching then I don't see why it can't do well?  If they only focus on wrestling then yes I agree it won't draw any casuals over.  

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Jericho is 50. Remember Angle in TNA? Barely moved the needle. If It was 15 years ago maybe... 

Hope AEW works out.. But i already see huge issues for them and the main one being im not sure if the niche market is big enough even with TV deal. 

The biggest problem tho is the fickle fans they are catering 2 who hate wwe but will pop for ex wwe guys. 

Lets be honest..50 yr old pT jericho isnt a draw and neither is Neville and despite what some think... Omega is not well known in the states at all. 

What makes him better than AJ Styles? Im just saying.. Catering to the roh fanbase isnt gonna get the job done. 

Right now.. Its a bunch of talk but how are u gonna convince casual fans to tune in when they see stardust neville 50 yr old Jericho and a bunch of lets be honest... Midgets. 

That is THE competition for them.. Its not WWE.. Its the indy feds i mentioned.. Mlw impact even roh and to a lesser extent NJPW which are all established brands who dont draw **** in reality in the states 

60000 watching eh? Cool.. Thats grear but to compete with the E you gonna need 2 million more tuning in.. 

ROH isnt a huge draw. 

Not sure the money or fans are there for this to be more than just a glorified indy fed owned by billionaires. 

All in was special cuz it was funded by the boys... They are no longer All in.. Its not double or nothing.. Its playing with someone elses money. 

Huge diverse crowd tho of maybe 3500 ppl.... There were a few fat white guys a few skinny white guys and like 6 women.. 

Dude, Jericho has been one of the best things in wrestling the past couple of years. AEW is damn lucky to have him. Comparing him to Kurt Angle in TNA is so laughable that I'm not even going to bother with the rest of that drivel.

11 minutes ago, ediger said:

Dude, Jericho has been one of the best things in wrestling the past couple of years. AEW is damn lucky to have him. Comparing him to Kurt Angle in TNA is so laughable that I'm not even going to bother with the rest of that drivel.

Why is it laughable. Jericho is not a huge draw.. You can say Sting in TNA then.. Didn't draw much. 

I like Chris but hes a PT 50 yr old. His NJPW run didnt really move the needle for New Japan. 

I just dont think at 50 hes a draw..  

Besides if he is its 2 fans who likely are already in to New Japan. The indy fans.. I dont think theres as many indy fans as ppl think

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I am unaware of any of those leagues having North American TV deals that many people can access?

As for the midgets comments..   I seem to remember guys like Shawn Micheals, Ric Flair and Bret Hart getting over despite being average heights?  

If AEW gets a good tv deal and if they have good angles / story lines and something that can draw adults to watching then I don't see why it can't do well?  If they only focus on wrestling then yes I agree it won't draw any casuals over.  

Its 2019.. If you want now u can watch MLW which is AEW on youtube.. Its AEW but more established.. Less hype really. AEW technically has no TV deal either just yet. Hell there next show isnt until May.. Likely no TV until SDLive moves to Fox and Thursday nights. 

Edited by Goalie

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

Why is it laughable. Jericho is not a huge draw.. You can say Sting in TNA then.. Didn't draw much. 

I like Chris but hes a PT 50 yr old. His NJPW run didnt really move the needle for New Japan. 

Besides if he is its 2 fans who likely are already in to New Japan. The indy fans.. I dont think theres as many indy fans as ppl think

I mean, this really just reeks of “this is my opinion so it must be right” ..

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

It's even less like Sting in TNA. Sting went there after working old timers tours for two years. Jericho's coming in on the heels of some red hot programs in Japan. You say he didn't move the needle but I think most people would agree that he was the primary draw for last years Wrestle Kingdom which had one of the highest attendance figures in recent years as well as a huge increase in online subscriptions from North America. Not to mention his merch sales are through the roof. He's the one guy his age who has managed to keep himself relevant.

Besides, the rest of the roster is already shaping up to be pretty damn good. They already have a good mix of styles and I'm sure there's a couple more big names to come. You keep on referring to indie fans and indie wrestlers but NJPW and even ROH & Impact are pretty far from the indies and that's where most of these guys will be coming in from. It's not like they're signing guys that would be wrestling in the Boogies parking lot otherwise. In recent years I've watched both Wrestlemanias and Wrestle Kingdoms with people who aren't/weren't wrestling fans. Guess which of the two turned people into fans? If AEW offers a proper alternative to the WWE and it's easy to access for viewers I really think they have a legit shot at being successful.

Edited by ediger

11 hours ago, Goalie said:

Good Lord.

Not true about Angle.  His joining TNA resulted in increased PPV buy rates.  You also can't discount (though you will) what name value means behind the scenes in terms of corporate support, TV distribution, merch, ticket sales, leadership etc.  If Jericho was over the hill as a talent, which he isnt, he'd still matter a lot to the business side of things.   When Hogan joined WCW, it was because WWE felt he was over the hill.  Boy were they wrong.  He was a bit younger (early 40's).  

12 hours ago, Goalie said:

Not sure what you mean by niche market but I assume you mean anything not WWE.  But if you view the world through WWE fanboy glasses, you'll miss a lot.  When it comes the non-WWE audience, we'll get to numbers in a minute.

Again, what does that even mean aside from being Daniel Bryan's gimmick?  Are the fickle fans the WWE fan boys?  Or do you mean the millions of fans that have tuned out since WCW was sold, the million fans that used to watch TNA, the million fans that tuned out of WWE in just the last few years.  There is clearly room for something different than what WWE is offering.

Incorrect.  Jericho is a proven draw.  Not just in WWE but increasing New japan's business.   Omega is not well known. lol  Thats why WWE offered him a huge deal.  

Ummmm....what makes Kenny Omega better than AJ Styles.  What does that even mean?  You go from saying Jericho and Omega arent draws to comparing Omega & Styles....what does Styles' talent have to do with Kenny in AEW?  And to answer your question, I LOVE Styles.  Kenny is younger, more charismatic.  Arguably more athletic, better look, better known internationally than Styles was when he signed with WWE.  But its really like comparing two awesome things.  So whats your point?  Considering Kenny rarely works for ROH and Styles doesnt, the comparison and remark makes no sense.  

This comment proves you're either really personally bitter for some reason or trolling.  Midgets?  What a stupid comment.  As for your question, they drew over 10,000 for those guys.  They drew PPV buys for those guys.  ROH & New Japan sold out MSG because people thought those guys would be there.  I mean, really...you sound like Kevin Nash claiming no one cares about Jericho, Benoit, Eddie (how did that turn out for him?)

Open your eyes.

lol  ROH is their prime competition for a lot of depth talent right now.  But Bucks, Cody, Page all turned down WWE deals recently to sign with AEW.  That makes them competitors.  Kenny might very well do the same.  You have no idea about draws.  If WWE makes their arena look like 20,000 people are there, guess what, there isnt.

It used to be in fashion for the boys to refer to WWE as "the E" or "The Fed".  Its always funny when fans use insider terms.  But hey, you can claim no one cares about AEW and then pooh-pooh them getting over 60,000 people watching their stream on youtube.    By the way, its up to 360,000 views.

So far the only point you've made that has merit or a hint of fact.  Except your numbers are wrong.  If they get 2 million viewers for TV, this is the type of success they could only have imagines.  You know how many watched the third hour of RAW this week?  2 million.  How many viewers did TNA draw when they were live in prime time on SPIKE (a deal Spike enjoyed and paid a lot of money for)?  A million or so.  Get a million and this thing is big.

You can have your opinion and not like Cody, Bucks, PAC, Page, Jericho, Baker etc.  They're all talented.  So what underwhelms you, that they arent WWE guys?  Again, there is life outside the WWE bubble.  If they land Kenny, you can come here and talk about how nobody knows him and no one cares about him and hes not that good anyway.  But if he shows on RAW, you can become erect and go online to tell fans about the one time you saw him across the parking lot at Polo Park.

ROH isnt a huge draw. 

There are some similarities though I bet you can't name them.  Excellent time to mention ROH's drawing ability after they had their best year in company history (on the back of Bucks, Cody and Omega).

Cetainly the money might be an issue.  They only have the richest owner in the entire wrestling business.  lol  We can have a nuanced discussion about indy feds owned by billionaires but I dont think you want to.

Huh?

12 hours ago, Brandon said:

ROH has a good syndication package because they're owned by Sinclair which is the largest owner of syndication stations in the US.  It would have helped them a lot if they had got WGN but the sale didnt work out.  The rumor for AEW is TNT (non prime-time, non-live).  Which would be a pretty good get.  You're completely right and I completely agree that the negativity is laughable...its all "but they dont have this and they dont have that".  Look, if they end up doing no shows, no TV etc, then sure, it was nothing.  But they had at least two suiters for TV and thats why the Khan family is invested.  We have to wait and see.

Anyone calling guys "midgets" (an old Nash argument) in 2019 is completely moronic.  Reportedly their booking inspiration is Bill Watts Mid South Wrestling.  

Define huge draw.  Who's a huge draw in WWE outside of John Cena?

Jericho and Omega drew New Japan's largest buys in North America of all time...moved the needle big time (for a show in the middle of the week, in the middle of the night).  Everything is relative but you're completely wrong.  You dont like New Japan, you dont like Omega, you dont like when you're not the smartest fan in the room.  But none of that changes facts and Jericho in New japan was a big success.  Which is why they want to keep him.

Its 2019.. If you want now u can watch MLW which is AEW on youtube.. Its AEW but more established.. Less hype really. AEW technically has no TV deal either just yet. Hell there next show isnt until May.. Likely no TV until SDLive moves to Fox and Thursday nights. 

MLW is not AEW.  They are good, good TV deal, good production, some decent talent.  

Not sure what the other points mean.  They dont have TV right now.  They DO, they just havent announced it.  Their next show isnt until May.  Ummm, yeah, four months from now...POST-WM...Vegas tourist season kicking off, long weekend in the US.  Pretty smart.  And yes, maybe their TV will launch when SD moves to FOX...in the fall...you know, when the fall TV season starts.

8 hours ago, ediger said:

It's even less like Sting in TNA. Sting went there after working old timers tours for two years. Jericho's coming in on the heels of some red hot programs in Japan. You say he didn't move the needle but I think most people would agree that he was the primary draw for last years Wrestle Kingdom which had one of the highest attendance figures in recent years as well as a huge increase in online subscriptions from North America. Not to mention his merch sales are through the roof. He's the one guy his age who has managed to keep himself relevant.

Besides, the rest of the roster is already shaping up to be pretty damn good. They already have a good mix of styles and I'm sure there's a couple more big names to come. You keep on referring to indie fans and indie wrestlers but NJPW and even ROH & Impact are pretty far from the indies and that's where most of these guys will be coming in from. It's not like they're signing guys that would be wrestling in the Boogies parking lot otherwise. In recent years I've watched both Wrestlemanias and Wrestle Kingdoms with people who aren't/weren't wrestling fans. Guess which of the two turned people into fans? If AEW offers a proper alternative to the WWE and it's easy to access for viewers I really think they have a legit shot at being successful.

Its a good roster and still being formed.  And if they sign Kenny, they're the promotion with the best wrestler and biggest wrestling star in the world.  Someone said Jericho was like Hogan going to WCW.  In some ways (Hogan was a bigger star) but the combination of Jericho & Kenny....thats huge.  

When you walk into a boardroom of a major network and they ask who you are and who your talent is, those executives might know nothing about wrestling. But they DO know Chris Jericho and Kenny Omega.  It opens every door.