Wrestling

Rich

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Things are rapidly deteriorating geo politically for Saudi Arabia against the rest of the world.  The Saudis are now threatening to use oil against their perceived enemies. How wise is it for WWE to be going to Riyadh & having them as business partners?

Zero mention of Saudi Arabia on RAW last night.  Last word is that WWE is bound and determined to go and unless the government tells them not to or sponsors threaten to pull out, they are going.  Majority of people working for WWE do not want to go.   

Playing devil's advocate, WWE's perspective is, they can take a moral stand but will lose the entire ten year deal and $450 million.  They probably feel like the heat is on right now but 1 month or 6 months from now, it will blow over and other companies will be doing business so why risk half a billion dollars?

Both Senators from WWE's home state have said they should not go.  And Linda McMahon sits in Trump's cabinet, which I think works both ways.  She's close to Trump so can provide political cover but also WWE's ownership is mixed up with the admin and can come under more scrutiny as a result.

It will be very interesting.  UFC's parent company cancelling a $400 million deal is really interesting because the guy that owns it is tight with WWE (represents them in TV contracts) and WWE often follows his lead.

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Zero mention of Saudi Arabia on RAW last night.  Last word is that WWE is bound and determined to go and unless the government tells them not to or sponsors threaten to pull out, they are going.  Majority of people working for WWE do not want to go.   

Playing devil's advocate, WWE's perspective is, they can take a moral stand but will lose the entire ten year deal and $450 million.  They probably feel like the heat is on right now but 1 month or 6 months from now, it will blow over and other companies will be doing business so why risk half a billion dollars?

Both Senators from WWE's home state have said they should not go.  And Linda McMahon sits in Trump's cabinet, which I think works both ways.  She's close to Trump so can provide political cover but also WWE's ownership is mixed up with the admin and can come under more scrutiny as a result.

It will be very interesting.  UFC's parent company cancelling a $400 million deal is really interesting because the guy that owns it is tight with WWE (represents them in TV contracts) and WWE often follows his lead.

I can't see this hurting the WWE. You obviously want to be ahead of the curve in terms of public sentiment but their core fans probably don't care about this. Also, if the government were going to sanction the Saudis, then the WWE would want to keep their distance but that's not going to happen as long as Trump needs Saudi money to keep his real estate ponzi schemes afloat. 

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

I can't see this hurting the WWE. You obviously want to be ahead of the curve in terms of public sentiment but their core fans probably don't care about this. Also, if the government were going to sanction the Saudis, then the WWE would want to keep their distance but that's not going to happen as long as Trump needs Saudi money to keep his real estate ponzi schemes afloat. 

I agree.  It likely damages their reputation but for the most part wwe flies under the radar.  They are also exceptionally good and doing PR work for themselves and often use their TV time to pat themselves on the back.  Stephanie even admitted that the best marketing is charity (she took some flak for that because it made it seem like the charity work was disingenuous).  

Bad rep means nothing if your sponsors dont pull out and your stock price is high.  They'll be fine.  The bigger risk to me, is assuming this story doesnt escalate between now and the show.  If something were to happen like 4-5 days beforehand that forced them to cancel, it really messes things up.  But they do have back up plans.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I agree.  It likely damages their reputation but for the most part wwe flies under the radar.  They are also exceptionally good and doing PR work for themselves and often use their TV time to pat themselves on the back.  Stephanie even admitted that the best marketing is charity (she took some flak for that because it made it seem like the charity work was disingenuous).  

Bad rep means nothing if your sponsors dont pull out and your stock price is high.  They'll be fine.  The bigger risk to me, is assuming this story doesnt escalate between now and the show.  If something were to happen like 4-5 days beforehand that forced them to cancel, it really messes things up.  But they do have back up plans.

Look at the Conservative broadcasters, like Hannity, Limbugh, etc. As long as you get the ratings, the sponsors will be there. Every once and while you'll get into high-profile trouble, sponsors will dump you when it's hurting them but they come back when the heat dies down. WWE is no different. 

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

Look at the Conservative broadcasters, like Hannity, Limbugh, etc. As long as you get the ratings, the sponsors will be there. Every once and while you'll get into high-profile trouble, sponsors will dump you when it's hurting them but they come back when the heat dies down. WWE is no different. 

An example of the mainstream media not knowing WWE and thus, sort of bending over for them is JBL making the rounds to talk Saudi Arabia and pushing the agenda that WWE is going there to bring about change.  Yeah right.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Hope the mods don’t mind the plug. Some of you expressed an interest:

Tickets onsale online at https://pcwtheone.eventbrite.ca and in person at the Travelodge hotel, 20 Alpine Ave.  $20 Advance. $25 at the door (pending availability). 

Doors open 8pm. Bell time: 9pm. Food & liquor service! 18+.

Bringing the wife to her 1st pcw show (only her 2nd wrestling show ever)! 

Well that was one hell of a PCW show tonight. Congrats, @The Unknown Poster on a fantastic turnout. The Don Callis appearance was a nice surprise. His remarks/actions? Completely unexpected & made me legitimately angry for half a second. It was really cool to see that stuff go down at a PCW show. Also, I can't remember the last stomach claw I saw in person, was nice to see Mike Angels out there. Great lineup overall. Some older guys I haven't seen in a bit like Angels and Robby Royce and then having Tyler Colton on your shows is never a bad thing. I wanna hate him for some reason but he's really solid.

3 hours ago, ediger said:

Well that was one hell of a PCW show tonight. Congrats, @The Unknown Poster on a fantastic turnout. The Don Callis appearance was a nice surprise. His remarks/actions? Completely unexpected & made me legitimately angry for half a second. It was really cool to see that stuff go down at a PCW show. Also, I can't remember the last stomach claw I saw in person, was nice to see Mike Angels out there. Great lineup overall. Some older guys I haven't seen in a bit like Angels and Robby Royce and then having Tyler Colton on your shows is never a bad thing. I wanna hate him for some reason but he's really solid.

Thank you for the kind words. What a hectic night (and couple of weeks). Great experience working with the film crew and don was great to work with too. 

I knew we were in for something when Kenny asked me to procure a cake and 15 pies! Lol. 

Thank you so much for coming!  

8 hours ago, bigg jay said:

It was a great show with lots of unexpected appearances!  I popped hard for the Callis promo! 😂

My wife, who is not into wrestling, loved it & was even asking about an all-ages show to take our niece and nephew so it doesn't seem like it will be her last show.

Much appreciated!  We do occasionally have all ages shows. I’ll keep you posted! 

here's a fairly significant one.

.@CyrusOverHuge shocked the world as he unleashed a blistering verbal assault on @KennyOmegamanX before attacking the IWGP Heavyweight Champion ahead of the @IAmJericho cruise.

WATCH: https://t.co/CoXUb9FveM

— IMPACT (@IMPACTWRESTLING) October 21, 2018

Edited by ediger

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

That’s too bad. Something was up as he missed all the house shows over the weekend.  He can beat it and come back. 

Pretty scary time for Joe Anoa'i. Hope he whips cancer's ass. How many of you knew he was on the roster of the Eskimos circa 2010?

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Pretty scary time for Joe Anoa'i. Hope he whips cancer's ass. How many of you knew he was on the roster of the Eskimos circa 2010?

I did!  As soon as I heard his last name when he was with the Esks, I figured he was related to the large Samoan wrestling family. 

Dl3oNjoVAAEj0-g.jpg

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So, TUP... is there a chance the WWE doesn't hold Crown Jewel in Saudi Arabia as they've stopped mentioning where it will be held?

There is a chance yes.  Apparently Vince is hell bent on going.  But that changes slightly over the past few days and they’re waiting for direction from the administration.  

Cena doesn’t want to go. And that’s a problem. And you can bet many other people don’t want to go either. 

The word was they would decide today one way or another but the bombs might have pushed that decision off a bit.