Wrestling

Rich

The moment you've all been waiting for, the official Meltzer star rating for Omega/Okada, the match many people are calling the greatest pro wrestling of all time.

Seven stars.  The first time that has ever been given.

Omega/Okada was the second longest match in New Japan history.  And Omega is the first Canadian to ever win the IWGP World's Heavyweight Championship.

14 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Meltzer is such a mark. 7 stars out of 5. Sure Dave. 

Imagine calling the preeminent journalist in the field a mark.  Yikes.  Talk about a bad take.

Its never been out of 5.  I know you have an irrational dislike of everyone involved in wrestling but how would you differentiate a match like Omega/Okada from other great matches?

Edited by The Unknown Poster

7 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Who says it's out of 5?  Meltzer has been going over 5 stars since the early 90's.

Yup.  I never understood why people think its a 5 star system.  I think it might have started out that way but as he gave out more and more 5 stars, it simply didnt work to cap it like that.

I believe he's given 8 matches more than 5 stars.  Five of them involve Kenny Omega which is pretty incredible.  Kenny also has three 5-star matches.

Of course, its subjective because it's Dave's opinion and he's not ridged about (he also says if people are arguing over a quarter star, they agree).  But 40+ years in his position makes him a heck of an authority on quality.  There's a very very small group of fans that have that "too cool for school" mentality with guys that are universally loved, in this case Kenny. 

On 2018-06-15 at 9:15 PM, bigg jay said:

It's almost like they are trying to cash in on his popularity but that can't be the case because nobody knows who he is right?

They are promoting him because they want him to come to WWE with the Young Bucks also who they have mentioned also. 

They gonna throw crazy $$ and likely creative control their way. 

13 hours ago, Goalie said:

They are promoting him because they want him to come to WWE with the Young Bucks also who they have mentioned also. 

They gonna throw crazy $$ and likely creative control their way. 

Wasn’t you who said no one knew who he was?  Tha was Big Jays point. 

WWE doesn’t have to tweet to communicate to Kenny. They have spoken many many times. 

Presumably New Japan will re-up the three of them before WWE even has a chance. 

Of course it still makes little sense to throw big money and creative control (which no one gets) at guys no one knows.   

Money in the Bank was something.  I find WWE increasingly boring and paint by numbers.  They have a very clear style.  That being said, the two ladder matches were good.  The women were pulled from house show touring for a week to practice and even then, I dont think they did anything on the floor but lay there waiting for the next spot.  Ladder matches are always fun.

The big match was Ronda and man, she was good again.  So much speculation that it would be a Goldberg style quick defeat of Jax (I figured the sudden change in plans to move Ronda to this match was to have her as WWE champion for her UFC HOF induction).  She won...but didnt win the title.  It was a good match.  It might have been jax' best match ever.  Coach was awful on commentary (he then tweeted how no one in the business talks about Meltzer and is being shredded online).

I still prefer the idea of Natalie turning on Ronda more than Bliss cashing in like this but they can still do it if they want.

Styles/Nak was good at the end.  Those two just arent meshing like they did in New Japan.  Disappointing feud and its probably over.

I figured Braun would win MITB because my theory is either Vince is nuts or he has a genius plan for Roman.  The speculation is Roman vs Brock at Summerslam in MSG where Roman would be absolutely evicerated by the fans.  Vince has to know that and its an awful way to corronate your new "era" champion.  But...Roman beats Brock.  Says he will be champion forever, fans are ready to riot, and Brauns music hits.  He cashes in to a Hogan-level pop.  Roman turns heel on RAW.

That's my prediction.

4 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I had it playing in the background but I swear I heard Coach use the term "rest hold".

Also when Rusev was climbing the ladder he clearly motioned for the Miz to come knock him off.  Geez.  What is happening.

Yeah, Jax was working on Ronda's back the whole match and then slapped on a bear hug to which Coach said Ronda could now rest.  Well, yes, that's the idea in reality but in kayfabe, the bear hug will punish her back AND make it hard to breath.  I believe it was Graves who replied "how are you still employed?" lol

One thing that is obvious in these types of matches (multi man) is WWE's style doesnt lend itself to guys suddenly needing perfect timing on group stuff.  I did like that they let guys (and women) grab the briefcase more often.  I hate the silly slow climb waiting for a cut off.  Now it's the quick climb but fumbling with the carabiner lol

Big Cass released from WWE.  Didnt even get a "best wishes".  They were hot at him for not following directions a few weeks ago but this seems like something must have happened.

At least he can reunite with Enzo....except Enzo buried him online a few days ago.  Oh well, there is always TNA!  I like Cass actually...

http://rajah.com/node/62951

More on Cass. Turns out hes kind of a ******. 

RIP Vader tho. Definitely one of my Favs from the 90s... Guy was so tough.. Got his eye ball knocked out in a match with Stan Hansen, popped it back in and wrestled another 12 minutes. That can be found on YouTube. Hopefully hes remembered as being the first big man to do a moonsault but i feel most will remember him as the guy who was the opponent of Cactus Jack when he got his ear ripped off. 

Seems to me a lot of these young wrestlers like Big Cass & Enzo are given things too much too soon compared to wrestlers of 25-30 years ago. How old is Big Cass? Twenty four?? He should still be honing his craft in the Indies & not the WWE. Used to be that a wrestler could learn the business & his skills wrestling in an independent circuit like in Memphis, the NWA or AWA for many years. Now, they impress on NXT & get bumped up to the main roster. That's why I never get excited about the talent coming up from NXT & they aren't ready. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

57 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Seems to me a lot of these young wrestlers like Big Cass & Enzo are given things too much too soon compared to wrestlers of 25-30 years ago. How old is Big Cass? Twenty four?? He should still be honing his craft in the Indies & not the WWE. Used to be that a wrestler could learn the business & his skills wrestling in an independent circuit like in Memphis, the NWA or AWA for many years. Now, they impress on NXT & get bumped up to the main roster. That's why I never get excited about the talent coming up from NXT & they aren't ready. 

Most NXT talent have worked the Indies for years. Enzo and Cass got called up cuz they were insanely over. Perhaps it went to their heads.. But i feel if a guys a ******, hes a ******. Age is irrelevant

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Most NXT talent have worked the Indies for years. Enzo and Cass got called up cuz they were insanely over. Perhaps it went to their heads.. But i feel if a guys a ******, hes a ******. Age is irrelevant

I think it was obvious that it went to their heads.