Wrestling

Rich

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Oh I agree.  Just being funny.

However All In isn't a promotion so maybe.. Its not like there would be any you know... Its not like they have a show the next day so.. Maybe he makes an appearance but hes done wrestling. 

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

However All In isn't a promotion so maybe.. Its not like there would be any you know... Its not like they have a show the next day so.. Maybe he makes an appearance but hes done wrestling. 

Well he is making an appearance at Pro Wrestling Tees that day as sort of a tie in wirh All In. He’s very close friends with the Bucks. 

I sort of figured he’d tease it if it was no to help add fuel to All In. But him saying no almost makes me wonder what’s up. 

If he was just antiWWE I’d believe it but it’s almost like thou dost protest too much. 

However I wouldn’t buy a ticket expecting him. Him/Cody or him/Kenny segment makes the most sense. 

Bret Hart gave a recent interview where he said as athletic and great as so many WWE matches are they lack drama and story telling. 

The main event of Doninion was a masterclass in professional wrestling. 

Its how you combine the athletics and high spot centric wrestling of today with drama and story telling. 

Winnipeg’s own Kenny Omega is now the IWGP Worlds Heavyweight Champion and undeniably the best wrestler in the world. 

For anyone that saw Kenny wrestler in Winnipeg for $5 or $10, they must have thought this kid can be something. 

When Kenny quit wwe and was ready to quit wrestling and I was the only one that knew he was coming home and booked AJ Styles for him, the match Kenny credits with restoring his love of wrestling.  

He told me a year or so ago that he legitimately didn’t think they’d put that title on him...and now today when you realise generational talent can not be denied it’s place in history. 

There will be people that say but when is he going to WWE.   Make no mistake, he’s the guy they want more than anyone else in the world. But he never has to go. And I’m not sure anything in wwe could ever compare to this success for him. 

I could tell so many Kenny stories. And so many are flooding my mind. But I’ll just say this is a true story of a local kid that earned every thing he ever achieved. A Winnipeg boy that is the biggest star in the world, the best wrestler on the planet and comes home to shovel his parents drive way. 

Congrats Kenny!

While im happy for Kenny, biggest star in the world is a huge stretch.. The reality with NJPW is... And i like it, but the reality is... It will never ever compete with WWE. Its unfortunate cuz WWE badly needs legit competition. 

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

While im happy for Kenny, biggest star in the world is a huge stretch.. The reality with NJPW is... And i like it, but the reality is... It will never ever compete with WWE. Its unfortunate cuz WWE badly needs legit competition. 

Let’s not split hairs. He’s undeniably the biggest star not wrestling in wwe right now. In japan he’s far bigger than anyone in wwe (as New Japan is more popular there). 

But let’s just agree with the incredible success.  

Interestingly with Jericho and the Bucks winning major titles as well it would indicate New Japan’s desire for American (and European) growth is very serious. 

At some point, Vince is going to get annoyed.  I’d love to see the contract offers Kenny and the Bucks get in January! 

NJPW is just starting their move into the North American market and looking at how many gaijin title holders they have now, they are taking it seriously.  

Up until recently, they've haven't really ever catered to the fans here and yet they still have a decent fan base.  It's going to be interesting to see how much it'll grow going forward. 

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

NJPW is just starting their move into the North American market and looking at how many gaijin title holders they have now, they are taking it seriously.  

Up until recently, they've haven't really ever catered to the fans here and yet they still have a decent fan base.  It's going to be interesting to see how much it'll grow going forward. 

I hope it does but i have my doubts. 

On 6/9/2018 at 1:41 PM, Goalie said:

I hope it does but i have my doubts. 

It’s grown quite a bit already with the sold out long beach shows and increased membership to their streaming service here. 

But to truly become something they need better TV here and stars the North American fans will embrace. But they also can’t just have a roster of North Americans because then it’s it not New Japan anymore. And they have so much amazing talent. 

They have a new president who’s job is to grow it. Using Jericho helps. Having Kenny as the top guy helps (especially because he’s practically Japanese now so he can represent that aspect of the company in America). 

Definitely an uphill battle and the X factor is when Vince gets suitably annoyed he decides to screw with them. 

Edited by The Unknown Poster

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

http://rajah.com/node/62751

Good luck. 

There were rumours All In or New Japan would run there.  The issue is that, if you're taping for TV, which any group running surely would, its a big price tag.  WWE doesnt even run there anymore for TV.

But its a prestige thing.  If it's ROH, I highly suspect it will be one of their shows with New Japan talent, perhaps co-branded. 

They will likely do very well with Omega on top.

AAA (Mexico) also has a date held at MSG for this fall.  I tend to doubt they do it though.

WWE will see any attempt to run MSG as stepping on their toes.  Both Vince and his father are in the MSG Hall of Fame and Vince's Grandfather promoted events there.  I could see WWE reacting poorly to this and going after them even harder.  But the one thing about ROH is, its owned by Sinclair which is a very wealthy, very powerful company.  They even stared WWE down when they were talking to ROH contracted talent about jumping.

With WWE's new TV deals, they are flush with cash to go after the key people that are behind the success of ROH, All In and New Japan, primarily Kenny, Cody, Bucks, Okada.  But in the case of those guys, money isnt their main motivator and they dont see WWE as the end all/be all of making it.  But they will surely force New Japan to up their offers to retain talent and neither New Japan nor ROH will want to get into bidding wars.

Sinclair could afford to if they wanted to, but they dont provide ROH the budget to do so.

Cody talking **** about Winnipeg wrestling fans at around the 6:40 mark. He's opening himself up for some good heckling if he ever comes back to town. I'd like to get front row seats just to ask him if we were supposed to be entertained by a Stardust vs. Big Show vs. Santino triple threat or whatever garbage he was booked in here.

Edited by ediger

16 hours ago, ediger said:

Cody talking **** about Winnipeg wrestling fans at around the 6:40 mark. He's opening himself up for some good heckling if he ever comes back to town. I'd like to get front row seats just to ask him if we were supposed to be entertained by a Stardust vs. Big Show vs. Santino triple threat or whatever garbage he was booked in here.

Thats actually really interesting because he's feuding with Kenny so it makes sense to be critical of Kenny (though Kenny might be too lol).  But his mentioning Tyson Kidd and fans yelling inside jokes is totally true.  At a WWE show several years ago, a few local wrestlers got front row seats and heckled the WWE guys, including Kidd.  Since Kidd had worked here and knew the local guys, he called them out on social media for acting like marks (the negative version of the term).

Winnipeg is also where a fan dumped a beer on Eddie Guerrero of all people.

Jericho won the IWGP Intercontinental Championship, which surprised many since he is not booked for any of their US shows.  Jericho explained why on a podcast:

“You should see how many indy promoters contact me” he said. “This is a calculated big money proposition. I’m not going anywhere else unless you want to pay six f****** figures. This is where I’m at. This is McGregor/Mayweather type s*** for me.”

He also mentioned that he felt like it would be a slap in the face to Vince McMahon if he were to do a show in the United States.

I can confirm his ask.  Late last year, there was work being done trying to put together a Jericho vs Omega match in Winnipeg.  There was significant sponsorship but Jericho asked for a price that made it completely impossible.

Honestly I think the only way Jericho has one last big match in Winnipeg is if he books it himself a la Cody/All In. He wouldn't have to cheapen his rate. Even if he takes a hit he could tell people "Hey, I was the promoter, I took a chance. Still costs $200 k to book me"

Edited by ediger

28 minutes ago, ediger said:

Honestly I think the only way Jericho has one last big match in Winnipeg is if he books it himself a la Cody/All In. He wouldn't have to cheapen his rate. Even if he takes a hit he could tell people "Hey, I was the promoter, I took a chance. Still costs $200 k to book me"

Generally, people that know better know you never put your own money into wrestling.  All In started off as almost a dare and Cody and the Bucks are definitely investing their own money.  Fortunately for them it will be profitable.

I cant see Jericho ever wanting to do it.  If he wanted to wrestle in Winnipeg, he can just wrestle at the next WWE house show that comes here.

When I was asked to guess what Jericho asked for I said "$30,000...$40,000" and nope...much much more.   And they wont do an All In event in Winnipeg either.

I've wondered why ROH hasnt done a show here.  There is a strong following of smart fans and history has shown both PCW & CWE (the two main local promotions) have drawn well with ROH style imports.  I could sell 1000 tickets to one of my shows with Omega let alone an ROH show. 

17 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I've wondered why ROH hasnt done a show here.  There is a strong following of smart fans and history has shown both PCW & CWE (the two main local promotions) have drawn well with ROH style imports.  I could sell 1000 tickets to one of my shows with Omega let alone an ROH show. 

WFX had ROH talent and didn't draw anyone....

43 minutes ago, Brandon said:

WFX had ROH talent and didn't draw anyone....

Wellll as much as I enjoy beating up on my old friends at WFX, they DID draw for some shows.  They marketed their product a bit inconsistently.  They featured former WWE guys as their main attractions and marketed to that audience.  Their shows were very long (taping multiple TV episodes) and the matches were mostly TV style.  They didn't really feature the ROH-type guys as main attractions and let them work their style.

While they were doing that, PCW was catering more to that ROH/X Division audience so there was sort of a split in the grass-roots marketing.  Plus, when PCW & CWE brough in that style of talent, if they drew 200...300...500, that was anywhere from make a few bucks to make a good profit.  WFX lost money on every single show because of their expenses.

It would have been hard to draw 1000 people with ROH-like talent then.  It would be hard now actually.  Omega might be the only one who could do it here.  Cody is showing that in the right market, you can do an indy show with the right talent and draw a crowd better than many WWE events.