Wrestling

Rich

Meltzer's latest is colon blockage being the original reason for the hospital visit which spiraled into other issues.  Kidney dialysis is happening.  Its considered a positive development that he is alive as it was apparently looking pretty bad.

I know from my own experience, my mom had serious bowel issues and her last surgery people visited and thought she was on deaths door.  It can be a nasty surgery.

17 hours ago, do or die said:

Was at a hot show in the ole Winnipeg arena.... where Wahoo McDaniel faced off against Jesse "The Body" Ventura......while somebody set fire to an upper row of seats...

Thats going back a ways lol

My memorable WWE/Winnipeg shows:  the first one I saw (Roberts vs Hogan).  Flair vs Piper because we were all Flair marks and to see him live with the NWA World Championship was awesome.  The night some jerk poured a beer over the head of Eddie Guerrero just a few feet from me and Eddie went balistic.  The double TV (Raw & SD) from the old Arena.  Waiting outside and having Earl Hebner punch me in the stomach and then a large group of kids chased Bret Hart's car.  Seeing Sid live as he left the arena and he's the largest man I'd ever seen. 

Some good times.

Update from Dave:

Ric Flair remains in critical condition as of last word in a hospital in Atlanta.

Flair underwent colon surgery yesterday to remove a blockage that was the catalyst for a number of different health issues that followed including kidney failure. Those in WWE were made aware that Flair is on kidney dialysis as well. A key is being able to get the kidneys back functioning.

The surgery was considered a success, but as noted there are more issues involved.

With fans and people within the pro wrestling industry sending well wishes for her father, Charlotte Flair posted a message thanking people for their support this morning.

She wrote on Instagram: "Hi guys, On behalf of my family and I, we want to THANK everyone for the prayers, texts, calls and support. Our Dad is a FIGHTER and your continued thoughts and prayers MEAN THE WORLD to us. We will update everyone when we have more information."

17 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Baron Corbin failed cash in of the MitB contract!  OMG!  Amazing hahahaha

Cena interfering like that then gloating after didn't sit well with me.  After all these years of him basically being a poster boy for "doin it by the book" that was a very heel-ish move even if it was against a heel...fighting a heel.  Would have made more sense if it was someone like Randy Orton doing it as Orton has always flip flopped between heel and face so it'd be more fitting

17 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Cena interfering like that then gloating after didn't sit well with me.  After all these years of him basically being a poster boy for "doin it by the book" that was a very heel-ish move even if it was against a heel...fighting a heel.  Would have made more sense if it was someone like Randy Orton doing it as Orton has always flip flopped between heel and face so it'd be more fitting

Corbin just interfered in his match and cost him a chance to beat the champ.  I think it was justified.  How can someone not gloat after that?  Corbin is just the perfect guy for this to happen to.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Corbin just interfered in his match and cost him a chance to beat the champ.  I think it was justified.  How can someone not gloat after that?  Corbin is just the perfect guy for this to happen to.

Don't get me wrong, most heels deserve a little revenge on them from time to time too. But with Cena far too often he runs his mouth about being a man and winning/losing fair and square...blah blah so it's kind of hypocritical for him to do this. Yes Corbin interfered but with the way Cena's character is portrayed week to week, his score would/should be settled in the ring the following week, as well as getting another chance with Jinder. I'm not a fan of these antics because they are moves made by heels which Cena is 100% not.  Orton on the other hand flip flops so much at any given time something like this is just a snake being a snake(viper) and more expected imo anyways

16 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Thats going back a ways lol

My memorable WWE/Winnipeg shows:  the first one I saw (Roberts vs Hogan).  Flair vs Piper because we were all Flair marks and to see him live with the NWA World Championship was awesome.  The night some jerk poured a beer over the head of Eddie Guerrero just a few feet from me and Eddie went balistic.  The double TV (Raw & SD) from the old Arena.  Waiting outside and having Earl Hebner punch me in the stomach and then a large group of kids chased Bret Hart's car.  Seeing Sid live as he left the arena and he's the largest man I'd ever seen. 

Some good times.

I still regret not going to the double tv at Winnipeg Arena. Not that they were great events or anything but the back to back is something that is unlikely to ever happen here again. Did get to see some really good matches at the old place though. Chris Jericho vs. Steve Austin for the title in 2001 (I think?) was probably the best of the bunch. I knew by that point that championships very rarely changed hands at house shows, especially the world title, but they still had me thinking "Holy crap, Jericho might win!" for the entire match. Both guys pulled out moves from all over their careers. Jericho with a triple powerbomb, Austin with a Stun Gun and a Million Dollar Dream. In the words of Don Callis, tremendous.

Edge vs. Christian right after they split up was another fantastic match. That same show had Jericho vs Lance Storm and I believe the debut of Brock Lesnar.

They might do double TV here again.  Its almost mind boggling that they havent come back for TV.  They sold out RAW & SD here at a time they rarely did double shots.  It only worked because they DID do the double shot because there wasnt a city close enough to get the trucks etc to the next day.  Because they run double crews now, it probably wont ever need to happen again.  But it was pretty cool and local WWE promoter Bob Holiday put over how thrilled WWE was and how they would for sure be back...then when MTSC opened he said they like to be first in for TV...never happened.

During the down years of WWE, Winnipeg was very consistent in producing a high per person dollar figure, the average amount each person spends on admission and merch. 

12 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think we need to wait until more info officially comes out. Just me, but if I was sick like that I don't think I'd like my fiancé tweeting out my condition or what surgery I had. 

If I was sick and unable to communicate, I'd want someone to keep the people who care updated.

In Ric's case, there are millions who care.

6 hours ago, Atomic said:

I think we get a PPV next year.  Just a gut feeling.

I agree. There's so many to go around. Plus Bell MTS Place is a major league venue now so it has a little more name recognition which I'm sure they like. I hope the show next month does well, it could help sway them a bit.

However, if WWE is going to continue to largely ignore Winnipeg I'd love to see ROH start coming up for shows. They run shows pretty close already (Minnesota) so it's not a stretch.

5 minutes ago, Atomic said:

If I was sick and unable to communicate, I'd want someone to keep the people who care updated.

In Ric's case, there are millions who care.

Maybe but I almost get the impression someone wants to be the first one, the very first one, to tweet that he has died.  Hospitals do issue press releases & have news conferences.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

18 minutes ago, ediger said:

I agree. There's so many to go around. Plus Bell MTS Place is a major league venue now so it has a little more name recognition which I'm sure they like. I hope the show next month does well, it could help sway them a bit.

However, if WWE is going to continue to largely ignore Winnipeg I'd love to see ROH start coming up for shows. They run shows pretty close already (Minnesota) so it's not a stretch.

If Jericho is on the card, it will. 

1 hour ago, ediger said:

I feel like the events over the last 4 years have been very well-attended.  The card looks awesome for the upcoming show.  It will sell out for sure.  That is, the lower deck.  The upper deck is always closed off for the house shows here.  Like a moose game.  So I guess like 8000 people?

They would easily sell out the whole arena for a PPV event.

1 hour ago, ediger said:

If ROH did a show here with Kenny Omega they'd draw big time. 

7 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If ROH did a show here with Kenny Omega they'd draw big time. 

For sure. Max Bell Centre would probably be a decent sized venue for them. I'm having a hard time thinking of any other places in the city in 1,000-1,500 capacity range that aren't theatres. I guess the Convention Centre but I imagine that place doesn't come cheap.