Wrestling

Rich

I watched TNA, I wouldnt say consistently, but enough when it first came out. Definitely a whole lot more then I have since Bischoff came around and it really became like a watered down WCW with them signing any wrestler WWE discarded, regurgitations of storylines like the attitude era/Nwo days.

I liked TNA originally being a little different, from it's octagon shaped ring, to the new faces they provided, especially in the X division.  but man I dunno if it was Bischoff or Russo but one of them is a one trick pony trying to catch the same lightning in a bottle twice and it just didnt work. 

I get the feeling with WWE going all PG Heyman and TNA reviving ECW in it's own manner could have been a lot more successful

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

If we're going to go the route of cliché phrases, I'll go with "it's like talking to a wall"

Funny, i've heard that exact phrase said about many of your posts in the football thread.  Comes with the territory though.

Have I offended you by not capitulating to your insult towards me Mike?  You came in here this morning and insulted me.  And you seem angry I replied.  That's "talking to a wall"?  Some people need to grow up.  Its a friggen message forum after all....lol

16 minutes ago, do or die said:

This thread needs a special guest referee......

No kidding.  I wish I was being paid to spend my entire morning replying to PM's.... when the simpler solution would be to let people DISCUSS wrestling as they seem to be doing.  Interesting that its an admin taking this thread off topic.  Anyway, back to good rasslin talk!

4 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

There is parts I like on a weekly basis there is parts I dont like on weekly basis but I still find it entertaining and thats all I ask. Much like any other type of entertainment.

Do you find the three hours of RAW makes it harder to engage and find it all entertaining?  It seems somewhat exhaustive to a lot of people now...

15 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

When Heyman returned to the WWE, I remember him having an on camera little feud with Vicki Guerrero as to who should be the GM. I can't remember if it was before or after that fact that TNA brought Eric Bischoff  on board and TNA really turned into WCW v2.0 (and not in a good way). I remember wondering what impact Paul would have had if he went to TNA and its success.  Obviously WWE owns the ECW brand now, but if they had made it a clone, with a better budget then ECW originally had, I think it could have done better then what TNA had become

That's a really interesting point.  TNA actually was in negotiations with Paul Heyman to come in as executive producer and creative director.  Basically he'd be in charge of all aspects of TNA and report to Dixie.  But he wanted assurances that his word was final and he wanted ownership points in the company.  Dixie balked on both.  Heyman wouldnt go to TNA without those two things.

Had TNA hired Paul, chances are Daniel Bryan and CM Punk would have been there.  And there's a possibility Lesnar would have too.  Jim Ross was potentially possible as well.

Heyman wasnt even supposed to be back in WWE.  They signed Brock without Paul but after a week or two of Brock cutting promos, they realised he needed a mouth piece and Brock wanted Paul who is his real life best friend and sort of agent (he gives him advice, even during his UFC days).

Ofcourse none of this could be true.  its just my opinion and I apologize if bringing up lesser known things offends anyone.:P

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

That's a really interesting point.  TNA actually was in negotiations with Paul Heyman to come in as executive producer and creative director.  Basically he'd be in charge of all aspects of TNA and report to Dixie.  But he wanted assurances that his word was final and he wanted ownership points in the company.  Dixie balked on both.  Heyman wouldnt go to TNA without those two things.

Had TNA hired Paul, chances are Daniel Bryan and CM Punk would have been there.  And there's a possibility Lesnar would have too.  Jim Ross was potentially possible as well.

Heyman wasnt even supposed to be back in WWE.  They signed Brock without Paul but after a week or two of Brock cutting promos, they realised he needed a mouth piece and Brock wanted Paul who is his real life best friend and sort of agent (he gives him advice, even during his UFC days).

Ofcourse none of this could be true.  its just my opinion and I apologize if bringing up lesser known things offends anyone.:P

a TNA with Punk, Lesnar, and bryan with the direction of Heyman could have really been something exceptional with some of the talent they had too. Do you think with their current problems, it's too late for them to right their ship?

11 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Do you find the three hours of RAW makes it harder to engage and find it all entertaining?  It seems somewhat exhaustive to a lot of people now...

I think you have lofty expectations. They are doing 150+ hours of live tv a year that all will work for all demographics of fans is impossible.

8 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

a TNA with Punk, Lesnar, and bryan with the direction of Heyman could have really been something exceptional with some of the talent they had too. Do you think with their current problems, it's too late for them to right their ship?

I think the TNA death watch is on right now.  Although they have risen from the dead a few times.  Word is their parent company is no longer funding them which means they have to fund themselves.  Their income is derived from their US TV deal, which on POP is an ad share (ie. POP doesnt pay them rights fees but TNA gets a share of revenue POP generates from ads), which is bad news because Spike dropped TNA in part due to the fact even though TNA was getting decent ratings, the ad buys were lower compared to non-wrestling programs of equal ratings.

They also have a supposedly lucrative TV deal in India which might be the only thing keeping it afloat.  But that deal requires them to tour India and they already cancelled one.  Dixie has been working hard the past few weeks looking for investors but I cant imagine she will be successful.

Just a couple of years ago they had a deal to sell to Toby Keith and Jeff Jarrett and the only sticking point was Panda Energy (TNA's parent company, owned by Dixie's parents) wanted Dixie to remain as an executive and character.  Toby balked and the deal fell through.  Surely they wish they had taken it now.

I always thought their name alone was a terrible idea.  Its a one note joke.  And they've been bad for so long that "TNA" as a brand is tarnished.  They'd probably do better if they just started from scratch.

The question is, if TNA goes under, what happens.  Will WWE value their library enough to try and buy it?

They've definitely made some poor decisions, and you might be right on the brand being tarnished.  I didnt mind the acronym of TNA, its catchy and a familiar one, even if it stands for something else. only reason i liked WWF was cuz the way razor ramon said his W's was fun to mimic when playin "the bad guy"

If they could get their ducks in a row, and deals in place, it might be worth their interest to just reinvent themselves, instead of start from scratch. Is Dixie Carter a main reason for their failures or the people she surrounds herself with.  I'll admit, I havent followed TNA in quite sometime,  I nearly forgot Jeff Jarrett is/was involved

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

3 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

They've definitely made some poor decisions, and you might be right on the brand being tarnished.  I didnt mind the acronym of TNA, its catchy and a familiar one, even if it stands for something else. only reason i liked WWF was cuz the way razor ramon said his W's was fun to mimic when playin "the bad guy"

If they could get their ducks in a row, and deals in place, it might be worth their interest to just reinvent themselves, instead of start from scratch. Is Dixie Carter a main reason for their failures or the people she surrounds herself with.  I'll admit, I havent followed TNA in quite sometime,  I nearly forgot Jeff Jarrett is/was involved

I'd say Dixie is the main reason.  There is a reason her parents spent over $30 million funding TNA so she could be President rather then having her work in the family business (which she didnt do even before TNA).  TNA had a great concept early on, with the X Division.  Although if you go back and watch their early PPV's (remember, TNA didnt have TV, their concept was a weekly PPV) they did some awful things.  They were actually out of business within months and Dixie saved the day by convincing her dad to buy TNA for her.  She could have brought in Heyman.  She was a mark for Hogan.  Although Im a Bischoff fan so I liked the decision...it just didnt work out.

Just getting back to WWE for a moment.... It's got to the point with me that when Stephanie comes on the mic especially in the ring I now switch channels. I may come back, I may not. So, as a viewer the advertisers on Raw have lost me as I don't see three quarters of what I used to. From watching a full 3 hours a year ago to maybe an hour here & there today. That's serious loss of revenue for the WWE as I'm not the only one but they still trot out Stephanie when only a few fans want to see her anymore. The Authority (Stephanie) is killing Raw.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Funny, i've heard that exact phrase said about many of your posts in the football thread.  Comes with the territory though.

Have I offended you by not capitulating to your insult towards me Mike?  You came in here this morning and insulted me.  And you seem angry I replied.  That's "talking to a wall"?  Some people need to grow up.  Its a friggen message forum after all....lol

I didn't insult you. Unless of course, you're implying you insulted Iso because all I said was that you do the exact same thing you were accusing him of.

12 minutes ago, Mike said:

I didn't insult you. Unless of course, you're implying you insulted Iso because all I said was that you do the exact same thing you were accusing him of.

Since that was untrue, i consider it an insult.  it was off topic and had nothing to do with the discussion.  It only served to bring an off-topic debate/argument to the forefront again and hinder the thread.  It was uncalled for and irrelevant.  You also referred to "talking to a wall" which I dont take personally as it was pretty lame but was an insult nonetheless.  Regardless, I imagine you'll have some witty parting shot to take since I committed the sin of replying to a post directed at me.  This is all off-topic and there are good discussions going on here among several posters.  My advice is to let us go back to talking wrestling and if off-topic repartee is really needed, use PM's...

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Hogan vs Gawker

Founder of Gawker Media Nick Denton claimed that a sex-tape featuring President Obama would not be newsworthy in the Hulk Hogan vs. Gawker sex tape trial this week.

Denton also refused to answer whether he’d post a Bill and Hillary Clinton sex-tape, stating that he doesn’t believe they have sex.

The claim comes after Gawker posted a sex-tape featuring former wrestling champion Hulk Hogan and is now being sued for $100 million because of it.

After being asked in the trial whether he believed a sex-tape between President Obama and his wife Michelle would be newsworthy, Denton testified, “I confess I would have problems with that one, because I know that there would be a lot of public interest, but I wouldn’t, I wouldn’t like the story, not for any reasons of political affiliation, but just because there’s no, there’s no hypocrisy…”

“[They] seem like a loving couple and if the tape does nothing but establish the fact that they are a loving couple, I don’t see that it would have any real value in changing perceptions or establishing any truth.”

Upon being asked the same question about former-President Bill Clinton and his wife Hillary, he stated, “I don’t believe they have sex, so that question­… But now you are getting into realms of absurdity.”

Gawker is not very conservative when it comes to their guidelines for posting private sex-tapes. In 2013, Denton professed in a deposition that he would post a Miley Cyrus video if one were to appear before him, stating: “Her performance at the VMAs was pretty sexual, and, as a result of that, I would assume, this would be my best guess, that there’s no kind of current story, but I would guess there would be more interest in her sex life.”

The blogging network has also faced previous lawsuits, including one for releasing a video showing Grey’s Anatomy star Eric Dane and his wife in “various states of undress” without their permission, leaving us to wonder why they posted it if their stance on Obama was that loving couple footage is not news-worthy.

Popular film director Quentin Tarantino previously accused Gawker Media of making “a business of predatory journalism, violating people’s rights to make a buck” after they shared the leaked script for Tarantino’s then-upcoming film, The Hateful Eight.

Former Gawker Editor-In-Chief A.J. Daulerio came under fire last week after proclaiming under oath that he’d only draw the line with posting a sex-tape if it featured a celebrity aged four or under, prompting a wave of horrified reactions and backlash on social media. Daulerio also admitted that he didn’t care whether the leaked tape had made Hulk Hogan emotionally distressed and added that he found it “very amusing.”

He wrestled Jericho, I believe but the match didn't seem it would be that interesting so I switched to something else. If you want to be a high flyer that's the risk you take, I guess.

Sammy Zayne, there's another NXT guy who needs to spend more time in the gym. What's with all these wrestlers who look like they haven't picked up a  barbell in the gym in months? Maybe Zane should stay down in NXT & redshirt (as they say in football) getting to know the WWE program, develop his skills more & bulk up about 25-30 lbs. At the beginning of the match with the Miz the timing looked a bit off but Zane improved as the match went along. Still though, he's a skinny rake & I can't see him catching heat with the crowd... yet. Not like Owens did beating John Cena in his debut almost a year ago.

Edited by iso_55

35 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

He wrestled Jericho, I believe but the match didn't seem it would be that interesting so I switched to something else. If you want to be a high flyer that's the risk you take, I guess.

Sammy Zayne, there's another NXT guy who needs to spend more time in the gym. What's with all these wrestlers who look like they haven't picked up a  barbell in the gym in months? Maybe Zane should stay down in NXT & redshirt (as they say in football) getting to know the WWE program, develop his skills more & bulk up about 25-30 lbs. At the beginning of the match with the Miz the timing looked a bit off but Zane improved as the match went along. Still though, he's a skinny rake & I can't see him catching heat with the crowd... yet. Not like Owens did beating John Cena in his debut almost a year ago.

Need to watch NXT Zayne had some of the best matches in its history. The 2-3 falls match he just had with Samoa Joe was awesome. The feud he had with Kevin Owens was epic.

18 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

First raw ive watched in a few weeks, only thing worth getting excited about is my new crush, lana. I honest dont like any mcmahon closing out the show, tho I woulda like to see taker put a hurt on shane as vince's *****, then next week announce he cant compete so in his place is kurt angle. Then I think id be interested in watching WM

Isn't Lana amazing?  She has stolen my heart as well