Wrestling

Rich

14 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Sheamus has peaked. Since he came back as a heel with the Mohawk, he just doesn't have the buzz anymore. Definitely has become a permanent mid carder.

I think he plays a heel well.  No one wants to see him as WWE champ ever again but is there anyone as hated as Sheamus right now?  That's a good heel to me.

I dunno, i think there's 2 kinds of hates i find,  1 being the kind you want, with people still wanting to watch you while loathing you, and the turned off kind of hate where you wouldnt be missed if gone.  I think Sheamus falls into the latter.  he's got a big frame, but ugly look, poor mic skills and not the greatest of in ring moves.  

I think it's cuz hes a ginger tho all in all lol

8 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I dunno, i think there's 2 kinds of hates i find,  1 being the kind you want, with people still wanting to watch you while loathing you, and the turned off kind of hate where you wouldnt be missed if gone.  I think Sheamus falls into the latter.  he's got a big frame, but ugly look, poor mic skills and not the greatest of in ring moves.  

I think it's cuz hes a ginger tho all in all lol

Sheamus could quit wrestling tomorrow & he wouldn't be missed, I think.

I was just reading an article/interview with Kane on canoe, I was never really much of a fan to be perfectly honest, he was kinda cool at first but after so long the novelty wore off for me, especially with not much change to his in ring moves over the years.  But putting it into this articles perspective I gotta say he's doing alright for a 48 year old going on 20 years next october (2017).

http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Wrestling/2016/03/11/22612503.html

His character is one of the most menacing in the history of professional wrestling. His ring entrance, aptly named Hellfire and Brimstone, has instilled fear in many and demanded respect from even more. Some would even argue that World Wrestling Entertainment superstar Kane has quietly had one of the greatest careers by a wrestler ever.

After working with Smoky Mountain Wrestling and a couple of attempts in WWE under other names, the man known the world over as Kane (his real name is Glenn Jacobs) eventually found his calling with his demonic character in 1995, the reputed half-brother of the legendary Undertaker. He was masked and mean, standing nearly seven feet tall and weighing more than 300 pounds.

As Kane, he would kickstart a reign of terror and dominance that will reach 20 years in October 2017. In that time, Kane has been a main event player, finding success both in singles and as a tag-team partner, reinventing himself time and again, each time proving himself an invaluable part of WWE. Along the way, Kane has held no fewer than 18 titles, including a run as WWE World Heavyweight champ and he’s even won Money In the Bank, a daring match involving ladders and a suitcase hanging high in the air. Few, if any, have made more appearances on live TV and on pay-per-views.

Which brings us to next month in Dallas, Texas, where Kane will climb to third all-time when it comes to WrestleMania appearances, tying the great Shawn Michaels (at 17) and trailing only living legends The Undertaker, who will be making his 24th, and current WWE World Heavyweight champ Triple H, who will make his 20th Mania appearance.

With that in mind,  I dont doubt he's HoF bound,  but that one part in the opening paragraph, saying he quietly has had one of the greatest careers, which looking at the accolades and feats, is hard to argue, but had me wondering who you would put in a top 5, or even top 10 greatest careers. not favorites, but just whose careers have been the greatest.

off the top of my head I would say Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, HHH, John Cena, Bruno Samartino as my top 5.  to round off the top 10 I'd have undertaker, shawn michaels, Sting, Macho Man, Bret hart

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

Nick Bockwinkel, Shawn Micheals, Brett Hart, Ric Flair & Mr Perfect would be my Top 5. I'd include Triple H in there & take Hart out BUT... how much of a push did he get as the Boss's Son In Law? Would he have done what he did on his own? That'll always be the thing about Triple H. Could he have accomplished what he did without Vince or Stephanie McMahon? Hart was just an outstanding wrestler. He deserves to be there in my list.

As for working once a week for 20 kids, again that might be due to a variety of reasons,  how often the promoter is having shows, the area he's holding it in and lack of demand, and I've heard many successful wrestlers say while trying to get their big break, they sometimes had shows like this, other times it was a few hundred...ect If the promotion is constantly only running for 20 people,  i doubt its around very long, or those wrestlers stick around 

9 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Nick Bockwinkel, Shawn Micheals, Brett Hart, Ric Flair & Mr Perfect would be my Top 5. I'd include Triple H in there & take Hart out BUT... how much of a push did he get as the Boss's Son In Law? Would he have done what he did on his own? That'll always be the thing about Triple H. Could he have accomplished what he did without Vince or Stephanie McMahon? Hart was just an outstanding wrestler. He deserves to be there in my list.

Hunter would have made it on his own.  In fact he did.  He probably had more help by being pals with Michaels and Nash.  But he was World Champion before he started dating Stephanie.  He was given a lot of opportunity to make it though.  He would have a much harder time making it today without the friends in high places that he had.

Even then, he still was punished quite severely for the "Curtain Call", where he, Nash, Hall & Michaels broke character when Nash & Hall were leaving for WCW,  So even having friends, he suffered to consequences.  He was initially booked to win King of the Ring that year but it was changed to Steve Austin to punish Hunter.  

Hunter benefitted from working with Rocky, Austin and Foley who were all far more over than he was.  He even benefitted from Michaels retiring because they liked DX and needed a new leader so it was him.  He never had the charisma of those other guys but he was a very good worker.

Dating Steph definitely helped him eventually.  He became a lifer and its easy to trust lifers.  Although it could have also blown up in his face big time.  Bret Hart was a better worker with more charisma and I'd say better on the mic though they are pretty comparable.  Hart was a bigger star all time than Hunter.

Cleaned up some more posts in here.  Please try to be respectful and keep on topic. 

If yours was deleted and you never got a PM then it was deleted because content it referenced or quoted was deleted and it had to be removed for the thread to have continuity. 

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Cleaned up some more posts in here.  Please try to be respectful and keep on topic. 

If yours was deleted and you never got a PM then it was deleted because content it referenced or quoted was deleted and it had to be removed for the thread to have continuity. 

It's too bad. there was relevant discussion among the crap. Posts shouldn't be deleted unless there is genuine cause by way of personal attains or libel. That's my opinion. 

If anyone wonders about certain aspects of Indy wrestling please feel free to ask. There was some incorrect info posted here before. I love talking wrestling and have 15 years in the industry.  

By the way, Sheamus sucks ;)

5 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Hunter would have made it on his own.  In fact he did.  He probably had more help by being pals with Michaels and Nash.  But he was World Champion before he started dating Stephanie.  He was given a lot of opportunity to make it though.  He would have a much harder time making it today without the friends in high places that he had.

Even then, he still was punished quite severely for the "Curtain Call", where he, Nash, Hall & Michaels broke character when Nash & Hall were leaving for WCW,  So even having friends, he suffered to consequences.  He was initially booked to win King of the Ring that year but it was changed to Steve Austin to punish Hunter.  

Hunter benefitted from working with Rocky, Austin and Foley who were all far more over than he was.  He even benefitted from Michaels retiring because they liked DX and needed a new leader so it was him.  He never had the charisma of those other guys but he was a very good worker.

Dating Steph definitely helped him eventually.  He became a lifer and its easy to trust lifers.  Although it could have also blown up in his face big time.  Bret Hart was a better worker with more charisma and I'd say better on the mic though they are pretty comparable.  Hart was a bigger star all time than Hunter.

I always felt if Brett had one weakness it was his mic skills. Certainly he was good but he'd stumble occasionally or trip over his words with kind of a monotone inflection. When you compare the Master Of The Mic Nick Bockwinkle  to me he'll always be the guy every wrestler in NXT who wants to make it to the WWE should study. All of his promos were well thought  out & rehearsed.  He liked to use words not many people used & had this regal & smug aura about him when he spoke. He made you feel inferior to him which riled fans up. Nick was such an intelligent man on the mic & in the ring. In my opinion, the best there ever was on the mic.

Followed closely by Ric Flair. However the 2 had such contrasting styles that really worked for them. When I say Ric Flair, I don't mean the Ric Flair of today who is just an old shell of himself & it's actually sad watching him work with his daughter as she has no need for him to be there other than as an angle. But the Ric Flair of the 80's. Charismatic & bombastic. "To be The Man, you have to beat The Man." The long hair, the robes, sunglasses, valets walking to the ring. His on camera presence. He was phenomenal.

Better not forget The Macho Man in this discussion, Oh yeah....

Edited by iso_55

3 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

I always felt if Brett had one weakness it was his mic skills. Certainly he was good but he'd stumble occasionally or trip over his words with kind of a monotone inflection. When you compare the Master Of The Mic Nick Bockwinkle  to me he'll always be the guy every wrestler in NXT who wants to make it to the WWE should study. All of his promos were well thought  out & rehearsed.  He liked to use words not many people used & had this regal & smug aura about him when he spoke. He made you feel inferior to him which riled fans up. Nick was such an intelligent man on the mic & in the ring. In my opinion, the best there ever was on the mic.

Followed closely by Ric Flair. However the 2 had such contrasting styles that really worked for them. When I say Ric Flair, I don't mean the Ric Flair of today who is just an old shell of himself.  It's actually sad watching him work with his daughter as she has no need for him to be there other than as an angle. But I mean the Ric Flair of the 80's. Charismatic & bombastic. "To be The Man, you have to beat The Man." The long blonde hair, the robes, sunglasses, valets walking to the ring. His on camera presence. Everything. He was phenomenal.

8 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Followed closely by Ric Flair. However the 2 had such contrasting styles that really worked for them. When I say Ric Flair, I don't mean the Ric Flair of today who is just an old shell of himself & it's actually sad watching him work with his daughter as she has no need for him to be there other than as an angle. But the Ric Flair of the 80's. Charismatic & bombastic. "To be The Man, you have to beat The Man." The long hair, the robes, sunglasses, valets walking to the ring. His on camera presence. He was phenomenal.

Bret was underrated for his promo work because his style was much like his wrestling style - realistic. His promo work in 1997 was best in the business. No one else has eber been the number one face and the number one heel at the same time. He was dynamite. 

I bought into everything Bret hart did as a kid, the Hart foundation, the catch phrases like best there is, best there was, and the best there ever will be, and the excellence of execution, and thinking the sharp shooter was one of the greatest finishers ever.  He also made pink cool. only knock was i never got a pair of his shades. what a ****

25 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I bought into everything Bret hart did as a kid, the Hart foundation, the catch phrases like best there is, best there was, and the best there ever will be, and the excellence of execution, and thinking the sharp shooter was one of the greatest finishers ever.  He also made pink cool. only knock was i never got a pair of his shades. what a ****

Yup agreed. His style was tremendous. He really epitomized the idea that wrestling is supposed to look like you're killing your opponent without so much as bruising him. He was a master. 

No questioning Brett's in ring skills. He's definitely in my Top 5 All Time. I'm just saying that his promos at times could have been better & he did stumble over words every once in awhile. It doesn't tarnish Brett's image as one of the best wrestler's ever and most people don't remember his mic skills other than his trademark catch phrases as Taynted Fayth has mentioned. The sad thing is Owen Hart. He was a great heel as well. Owen could really rile people up & he always looked legitimately angry on camera whether it be in the ring or in the back. He was already a great wrestler when he died in 1999. We'll never know how good he might have become. He might have ultimately done more than his brother Brett did in his career. Matter of fact I think he would have.

Owen never would have done more than Bret. If Owen didn't win the World Championship during his feud with Bret he was never going to. By 99 he was back as a mid card comedy act. 

The original plan proposed by WWE for the brother vs brother feud was Bret bs Bruce. Bret had it changed to Owen. But it shows was Vince thought of Owen. 

When Owen returned to WWE after the Montreal screwjob he was promised a big push and ended up being jobbed to Hunter. 

His wife claims Owen was preparing to leave WWE when his ckntract was up as his dream was to be a fire fighter and be close to home. Owen was as big a star as he was ever going to be. 

Well, as he died in his 30's with his potential never fulfilled therefore we'll never know, A lot of things might have happened in the next 17 years to change things. I just remember hearing the news of his death on a Sunday night on the radio where I was working an overnight shift & was stunned, Absolutely stunned.

Any comments on WWE Roadblock last night? I have a few thoughts. Why would Jericho wrestle Swagger after what he did to AJ Styles last Monday on Raw? From the dull crowd reaction to seeing Swagger who has absolutely no heat,  I think they were asking the same question I was. Why didn't Styles come out to distract Jericho to give the win to Swagger? That whole match made no sense from start to finish. Kept waiting for Styles to come out & stand in front of a cheering crowd but he never did.

Why only 2 of the LON in the WWE Tag Team Championship against The New Day. You'd think they'd have the other 2 guys come out to stand at ringside. And probably the weakest teaming of that group with Barrett & Sheamus. Would have liked to see Rusev & Alberto Del Rio instead. Sheamus needs a makeover or something. He's dreadful right now.

As far as the WWE Heavyweight Championship, it was so evident to me (anyway) that Triple H slowed the match down & really jobbed for Ambrose until the end. Triple H totally carried that match last night. Ambrose just doesn't look like a guy who could win the WWE Championship or even carry it for a month or two. Triple H looked great & Ambrose weak. I guess he's got heat right now so he makes the main event. Makes me sure wish Seth Rollins was back & just how hard of a worker he was. Wrestling match after match day after day & being on camera so much. Rollin's twice the wrestler Ambrose is.

Edited by iso_55

Yeah it definitely looked and felt like a house show.  Nothing of any consequence happened.  Swagger barely makes Raw or Smackdown anymore so it's funny to see him on a "special".  However even though nothing really happened, there were a couple solid matches.  Stardust vs Sami Zayn was entertaining and so was the NXT tag title match.  Love Colin Cassady, I think his potential is sky high.  Can't wait to see those guys on the main roster.

I thought HHH vs Ambrose was a pretty good match too, except for that weird called-off 3 count.  That was cheesy as hell!  I can't agree with iso's assessment, I thought Ambrose and HHH were both pretty good.

One thing I don't like is how overused the sharpshooter was, to no effect.  I know they were in Canada but I hate to see such a great move being weakened like that.