Random News Items

Rich

6 minutes ago, Mark F said:

There are other countries that permit, and have carried out death sentence for homosexuality.  Just checked.... 

Yemen:, Iran, Iraq, Mauritania, Nigeria, Quatar, Saudi Arabia......Sharia Law, old testament.... same kind of stuff. 

Yeah, it's sickening. They're all stuck in the stone age with archaic dolts running the show.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Yeah, it's sickening. They're all stuck in the stone age with archaic dolts running the show.

sickening and also hypocritical

For centuries, Afghan men have taken boys, roughly 9 to 15 years old, as lovers. Some research suggests that half the Pashtun tribal members in Kandahar and other southern towns are bacha baz, the term for an older man with a boy lover. Literally it means "boy player." The men like to boast about it.

"Having a boy has become a custom for us," Enayatullah, a 42-year-old in Baghlan province, told a Reuters reporter. "Whoever wants to show off should have a boy."

Baghlan province is in the northeast, but Afghans say pedophilia is most prevalent among Pashtun men in the south. The Pashtun are Afghanistan's most important tribe. For centuries, the nation's leaders have been Pashtun.In 2015, The New York Times reported that U.S. soldiers serving in Afghanistan were instructed by their commanders to ignore child sexual abuse being carried out by Afghan security forces, except "when rape is being used as a weapon of war." American soldiers have been instructed not to intervene—in some cases, not even when their Afghan allies have abused boys on military bases, according to interviews and court records.

https://www.sfgate.com/opinion/brinkley/article/Afghanistan-s-dirty-little-secret-3176762.php

also, https://www.neonmag.fr/bacha-bazi-la-sale-coutume-de-la-police-afghane-fait-la-joie-des-talibans-474992.html

"Fighting for freedom (to rape children.)"

Edited by Mark F

Breaking news:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/03/29/boeing-737-max-8-crash-anti-stall-system-activated-ethiopian-plane/3308487002/

In a preliminary finding, officials investigating the crash of an Ethiopian airlines Boeing 737 Max 8 believe that a flight control feature designed to prevent a stall was activated before the plane nose-dived and crashed, The Wall Street Journal reports, citing multiple unnamed sources.

The findings, based on data retrieved from the plane's black boxes, come as the family of a Rwandan passenger who died on the March 10 flight has sued Boeing, the maker of the plane, in a U.S. court. 

The officials probing the crash report that the preliminary findings suggest similarities between the Ethiopian crash, which killed 157 people on takeoff from Addis Ababa, and the crash of Lion Air in Indonesia, also on takeoff, that killed 189 people six months ago.

The report tracks with a statement by Ethiopian Minister of Transport Dagmawit Moges who has said preliminary data indicated "clear similarities" between both crashes.

Just now, FrostyWinnipeg said:

If you watch any of those Mayday episodes any stall crash is the fault of the pilot :)

True.  Adding a system to guard against that without telling the pilots....yikes.  But...I love Mayday and I am convinced I could land a plane in a pinch lol  And if ever my flight would be in trouble, I'd call for the attendant and ask her to suggest to the pilots they're probably stalling.  Check that first!

The big one was that Air France that crashed off of South America.  In that case, both the Captain (who arrived late as he was on rest) and one of the co-pilots knew what to do (nose down to gain speed to prevent stall) but the more junior co-pilot who was initially in control and jittery already, was pulling back on his control stick to go nose up the entire time, thus, creating the stall in the first place.  The unique design of the Airbus played a part as they do not have center console yokes (when you push/pull on one, the second one reacts as well).  The Airbus uses a side stick which is basically a video game joystick.  Because of their positioning, its difficult for one pilot to see what the other is doing on the stick and any action on one stick does not feedback on the other.

So both pilots were applying opposite pressure to their sticks.  By the time the junior pilot informed the others he was pulling back, which immediately caused the other co-pilot to explain "I have the controls" (which causes the other to release) and the Captain was screaming "no no no, dont pull up, nose down" it was too late.

Anyway...the news that this latest crash very likely was MCAS...very bad news for Boeing.  

Cameras can be lethal...

A study found in a 7-year period, 259 people worldwide died while taking selfies. More than 70 percent were men, who researchers said took more risks to get a dramatic shot.

Tech giants have promoted a culture of selfies and social media is full of daring photos taken at great risk. The rugged 277-mile-long Grand Canyon makes safety rails impossible in many areas.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/grand-canyon-tourist-falls-to-his-death-while-taking-photos-2019-03-29/

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Cameras can be lethal...

A study found in a 7-year period, 259 people worldwide died while taking selfies. More than 70 percent were men, who researchers said took more risks to get a dramatic shot.

Tech giants have promoted a culture of selfies and social media is full of daring photos taken at great risk. The rugged 277-mile-long Grand Canyon makes safety rails impossible in many areas.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/grand-canyon-tourist-falls-to-his-death-while-taking-photos-2019-03-29/

When I visited the Grand Canyon I was amazed how unprotected it is.  But it keeps it natural.  

I have a few pics and videos of myself dangling stupidly over the edge too. 

I was there in Oct 2014. There were people climbing out onto outcrops of rock at the North Face & taking huge risks. The bottom is 5,000 feet straight down in places. In others, if you fell maybe a rock sticking out would break your fall 1,200 feet down. Be interesting to see what the racial breakdown would be for deaths as the majority of the people being stupid on that day were Asian males.

On 2019-03-30 at 5:09 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

I was there in Oct 2014. There were people climbing out onto outcrops of rock at the North Face & taking huge risks. The bottom is 5,000 feet straight down in places. In others, if you fell maybe a rock sticking out would break your fall 1,200 feet down. Be interesting to see what the racial breakdown would be for deaths as the majority of the people being stupid on that day were Asian males.

I find its such a massive drop it almost doesnt seem right.  Like, Im not sure people appreciate it because of how big it is.  I sat on an outcrop with my feet hanging over.  Stood near the edge with my back to the canyon to get a high selfie showing the fall.  I mean, yeah, stupid as **** if you fall, but a heck of a photo if you dont!

On 2019-03-31 at 12:43 PM, Tony Fresco said:

Excellent visual.  I watched a video with a 737 pilot over the weekend and he was pretty supportive of Boeing, or at least supportive of the 737's in general.  He noted that MCAS is just like numerous other systems where the computer assist the flight.  His major point was the absurd decision by Boeing to only use data from one AoA sensor when the plane has two anyway.  He thought that change will make the plane the safest in the sky.

He also defended Boeing when it came to the up charge for the safety extras.  He said the AOA display was not something pilots would use regular as it was small and difficult to read and didnt really give them useful information but the AOA disagree warning would be valuable.  That will now be standard.  

I think the big take away from the crashes will be a system that was needed and helpful but not designed well enough (one sensor vs two) and more importantly, a lack of training.  Countering bad MCAS is pretty easy.  But if you have no clue how it works or how to counter it and you have to read through manuals while the emergency is happening, especially when it happens while the plane is close to the ground, you just dont have enough time.

It reminds me of a Mayday episode I saw about Payne Stewart's plane crash.   There was a faulty engine air valve and the plane did not pressurize so as it climbed, the oxygen in the cabin decreased and everyone passed out including the pilots.  They believe the pilots got an error warning but the procedure was to go through a checklist to trouble shoot it before the final step of "put on oxygen masks".  They realized that the pilots only had a few seconds of usable oxygen so the first step should have been "put on oxygen masks".  The comparison being, working a checklist only works if you have time.  If you dont, you better instinctively know how to correct the issue.

Safe to say every pilot on the planet will know how to beat MCAS now.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I find its such a massive drop it almost doesnt seem right.  Like, Im not sure people appreciate it because of how big it is.  I sat on an outcrop with my feet hanging over.  Stood near the edge with my back to the canyon to get a high selfie showing the fall.  I mean, yeah, stupid as **** if you fall, but a heck of a photo if you dont!

I stayed on the trail. My wife wasn't letting me near the edge. Not that I wanted to, anyway.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

What I gather from this post is you wanted a good backdrop. But, standing at the Grand Canyon, and using the word drop, in any form, goes against my good judgment. That’s how I take care of my selfie..

56 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

What I gather from this post is you wanted a good backdrop. But, standing at the Grand Canyon, and using the word drop, in any form, goes against my good judgment. That’s how I take care of my selfie..

I think its a bit of a thrill seeker thing.   My buddy wouldnt go near the edge either but took video of me playing around near the edge and I got scolded by his mom when she saw it! lol