Random News Items

Rich

54 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

File this under the City of Crime Thread(I'm this close to starting it)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/attempted-murder-attack-exchange-district-winnipeg-1.4878036

That's absolutely terrible =\  

As I said in the other thread... downtown is very dangerous at night and the streets are not safe for people to walk around. 

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

What's your point?    Can you show any articles that discuss how dangerous this trail was before the attack?  Once again stop trying so hard,   the mods might freeze your account for trying to target everything that I post on.  

As I said, those of us less inclined to be harassed or attacked should realize that its not the same for women, children and the vulnerable.  But anyone suggesting a blanket "downtown is not safe to walk the streets" is playing a Trumpian game of over-selling.

I'd walk downtown any night of the week at any time.   Does that mean its equally safe for my petite gf?  No.  But it also means its not blanket statement "unsafe" at all times for everyone.

Wake me up when every other city in North America reports zero crime in their downtown.

26 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I love drones though I dont currently have one.  I had a cheap "starter" drone but its now hanging from a tree in my yard.   This clown ruins it for everyone else.  Sounds like the police were very lenient with him, providing him with several warnings.  Realistically, if you dont act like a jerk with your drone, you're unlikely to draw much attention, even if you're not following the letter of the law.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I love drones though I dont currently have one.  I had a cheap "starter" drone but its now hanging from a tree in my yard.   This clown ruins it for everyone else.  Sounds like the police were very lenient with him, providing him with several warnings.  Realistically, if you dont act like a jerk with your drone, you're unlikely to draw much attention, even if you're not following the letter of the law.

Also he had unlicensed gun and ammo in a car that he did not have license to drive.

54 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Whats with this?

Meanwhile, Pallister said Ottawa has not indicated that it would be giving Manitoba any credit for the construction of infrastructure to expand sales of renewable electricity to Saskatchewan customers, "though they are indicating they're giving credit to other jurisdictions on the east side of the country for such investments."

Manitoba helping Saskatchewan reduce reliance on coal , but that doesn't qualify for green energy credits?

22 minutes ago, Rich said:

Whats with this?

Manitoba helping Saskatchewan reduce reliance on coal , but that doesn't qualify for green energy credits?

My understanding is that Sask will get the credit for reducing their reliance on coal but that Manitoba won't get the additional credit. That would be double dipping, no? 

I would hope that we get credit for the international exports to Minnesota though. 

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

My understanding is that Sask will get the credit for reducing their reliance on coal but that Manitoba won't get the additional credit. That would be double dipping, no? 

I would hope that we get credit for the international exports to Minnesota though. 

Depends how this similar credit they are giving to the east side of the country.  At the very least, SK and MB should split the credit.

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Depends how this similar credit they are giving to the east side of the country.  At the very least, SK and MB should split the credit.

Yes, we should be treated equally. 

Or, perhaps there is a way of giving Manitoba credit, over and above, to reducing the impact of carbon?

51 minutes ago, JCon said:

Yes, we should be treated equally. 

Or, perhaps there is a way of giving Manitoba credit, over and above, to reducing the impact of carbon?

How about some sort of credit to off-set the cost in building the line that feeds SK?

Its good to see this at least.  Im curious that no financials have been released and concerned because we've seen Hydro under-charge in other deals.  If this brings money, money, money to Manitoba, thats good. If they're giving their power away and raising our rates/taxes to pay for it...not so good.