Random News Items

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, iHeart said:

it's times like this I'm glad I chose FBorFW as my prime comic strip of choice (despite it wrapping 15 years ago) has WFP dropped Dilbert yet?

https://deadline.com/2023/02/dilbert-scott-adams-racist-remarks-1235273222/

Adams has been dropped by hundreds of papers in the US and Canada as well as his agent. I will miss his dead-on organizational satire.

Just now, Tracker said:

Adams has been dropped by hundreds of papers in the US and Canada as well as his agent. I will miss his dead-on organizational satire.

Dilbert stopped being funny about 15 years ago, IMO. It started as work satire and meandered off into whatever it is now. It's clear Adams has little connection to any sort of offices. 

15 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Rupert Murdoch acknowledged that Fox News hosts endorsed stolen election claims - https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/27/media/dominion-fox-news/index.html

Murdoch is getting set to throw his lickspittle hosts under the looming bus in order to limit Fox's corporate liability in the current lawsuit that could bankrupt Fox.

Why did this cop turn up dead?  A heroic police officer rescued at least three people after the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing. A year later, he was found shot in the head
By Thomas Lake, CNN

OKLAHOMA CITY — The bombing memorial is a somber and beautiful place, framed by two monuments called the Gates of Time.

The 9:01 Gate commemorates the innocence before the explosion, which happened at 9:02 a.m. and became known as the deadliest act of domestic terrorism in U.S. history.

The 9:03 Gate represents “the moment healing began.”

But some survivors never healed. With time, their suffering only got worse.

This story is about one of those people. His name was Terry Yeakey. He was an Oklahoma City police officer and a military veteran. Yeakey saved at least three people from the ruins of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building on April 19, 1995, the day a terrorist attack killed 168 people and injured hundreds of others.

Something happened to Yeakey in those hours in the wreckage. He was badly shaken, and his worldview seemed to change. In time, he grew suspicious and afraid. He ran afoul of his supervisors. He went on secret missions, withholding his motives and plans from fellow officers. He seemed to be conducting his own investigation.

And then, 385 days after the bombing, his body was found near some trees in a field off a country road.

His wrists were cut.

His neck was cut.

He’d been shot through the head.

The authorities said it was suicide. But among those who knew Terry Yeakey, not many believed he had killed himself.

In a recent interview, his sister Lashon Hargrove said this:

“I think they murdered Terry because he knew too much.”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/grocery-ceo-ottawa-1.6771887

The heads of Canada's biggest grocery chains pushed back at allegations they are profiteering from high inflation on Wednesday, telling lawmakers that they aren't the cause of high food prices — and claiming their profit margins are as razor thin as ever.

Prices for food purchased at grocery stores increased by 11.4 per cent in the year up to January, according to Statistics Canada. That's almost twice the overall inflation rate of 5.9 per cent in that same period.

(Michae) Medline was summoned to speak, along with his compatriots at rival Loblaws, led by Galen Weston, and Eric La Flèche, president and CEO of Metro, which owns Food Basics and other chains.

Together, those three grocery chains make up the majority of Canada's grocery industry, with thousands of stores across the country. Profits at all three firms are up sharply in the pandemic, but all three say their profit margins on food are razor-thin.

Greedy liars.

39 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Yup. 

Weston echoed that sentiment, insisting that higher profits at Loblaws are mostly due to higher sales in non-food items, such as discretionary spending at Shoppers Drug Mart, its Joe Fresh clothing line and its financial services arm.

Totally believable.... when I saw my last grocery bill, my immediate reaction was to go stock up on the latest Joe Fresh gear!  Who needs money for essentials like food?  🙄

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

Yup. 

Totally believable.... when I saw my last grocery bill, my immediate reaction was to go stock up on the latest Joe Fresh gear!  Who needs money for essentials like food?  🙄

I used to think Weston actually cared about this country and the people his businesses serve. Turns out he's just another scumbag narcissist who only cares about his precious money.

17 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I used to think Weston actually cared about this country and the people his businesses serve. Turns out he's just another scumbag narcissist who only cares about his precious money.

They all are. 

42 minutes ago, JCon said:

They all are. 

Businesses are legally required to turn a profit, and it is up to government to assure that they conduct themselves in an ethical manner and pay their fair share of taxes. If you are right-wing minded, the government has no business "meddling" in the workings of the "free market". Private businesses are in business to generate the largest possible profits in the shortest possible time and seek to influence governments to allow that to happen with the fewest restrictions. In an ideal society there is a dynamic balance between the welfare of the citizenry and private enterprise.  The problem arise because , obviously, businesses have more money to influence government through direct financial donations and through media of one sort or another, tipping the scales. A good government, be they federal, provincial or civic mediates that balance. Its an imperfect situation but no better one has presented itself.

Soooo....profits are at an all time high but margins remain the same because of external inflation. By this logic, despite disposable income plummeting sales are way up. Congratulations grocers you guys have figured out something free enterprise has been unable to do since it's creation. Something does not add up....

Next please bring in big oil to explain to us how they come up with their pricing please and thank you.