Random News Items

Rich

KFC BETTER LOOK OUT!

FDA Warns Against Using NyQuil As A Chicken Marinade

The agency notes that the idea of cooking chicken in cough syrup is not only “silly and unappetizing,” but potentially dangerous.

David MoyeBy 

Sep 20, 2022, 05:29 PM EDT

The Food and Drug Administration has offered Americans some food for thought: It’s a bad idea to use NyQuil as a chicken marinade.

The federal agency felt obligated to issue the warning in light of a social media challenge encouraging people to cook chicken in NyQuil and other cough medicine.

ADVERTISEMENT
AD

The FDA’s release notes that the idea of cooking chicken in cough syrup is “silly and unappetizing.” But it is also potentially dangerous:

Boiling a medication can make it much more concentrated and change its properties in other ways. Even if you don’t eat the chicken, inhaling the medication’s vapors while cooking could cause high levels of the drugs to enter your body. It could also hurt your lungs.

Put simply: Someone could take a dangerously high amount of the cough and cold medicine without even realizing it.

The FDA didn’t cite any actual reports of people who’ve gone to the emergency room after chowing down on “NyQuil chicken.” But the agency mentioned a previous TikTok challenge that urged people to take large doses of the allergy medicine diphenhydramine (sold under the brand name of Benadryl, among others) to try to induce hallucinations, and that it led to reports of teenagers going to the emergency room.

On 2022-09-22 at 5:01 AM, the watcher said:

not good at all.

many countries have laws against monoply, corporate concentration, which are rarely used. another sign of corporate control of government.

I was looking up agriculture output.... I was surprised by the top producers, China, India.

also surprised me that Canada is pretty small in comparison.

Edited by Mark F

2 hours ago, Mark F said:

not good at all.

many countries have laws against monoply, corporate concentration, which are rarely used. another sign of corporate control of government.

I was looking up agriculture output.... I was surprised by the top producers, China, India.

also surprised me that Canada is pretty small in comparison.

Too much ice, not enough rice. lol

Yes even in out heyday when wheat was king in the west we weren't a huge producer.  What we did produce was a very high quality wheat that other countries could blend with theirs to produce a better flour

We were at one  time  ( Manitoba in  particular ) big market share holders of flax and buckwheat .Less so now.  Lots of corn, soybeans, potatoes , oats and canola now.Still lots of wheat but not like it was.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

still one of the best (the best?) malt barley producers in the world. Breweries the world over demand Canadian (especially Albertan) malt barley...

malt factory transcona I think is high quality product.. It expanded twice.

I got a tour there years ago.

Edited by Mark F

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

still one of the best (the best?) malt barley producers in the world. Breweries the world over demand Canadian (especially Albertan) malt barley...

There isn't as much barley grown here as there use to be. It was mostly fed to hogs if it didn't make malting quality. But vertical integration blew up that industry .Between that and earlier maturing corn there is less barley.

Edited by the watcher

did people follow the horrible Tua story?

I saw him wobbling around last week.sore back my ass.

sent him back in.

and before tonights game people were saying it was wrong to let him play.

now..... real trouble for him. poor guy. badly mislead, and mistreated.

it is Always the $ first.

complete disgrace.

Edited by Mark F

49 minutes ago, Mark F said:

sent him back in.

complete disgrace.

He will be released from the Hospital tonight and travel back to Miami tonight with the team and no he should not of been playing tonight.

2 hours ago, Mark F said:

sent him back in.

complete disgrace.

C'mon, tonight Kirk Herbstreit was making McDaniel out to be something between Jesus Christ & St Francis of Assisi as a Head Coach. That he was this new kind pf coach who walked on water. That he had the abilty to feed hundreds with only one loaf of bread & turned water into wine. A mystic coach that truly loved his players & they loved him back. That he was now the mould for the new modern era head coach in the NFL.

Not like bad guys coaches Nick Saban & Brian Flores. Or Tua's father who just yelled & screamed while all 3 put pressure on Tua to perform at a high level. I guarantee they did that as they had high expectations for him. They rode him hard but at the same time were just as concerned about his safety on the field as McDaniels was. What Herbstreit said tonight over & over about Mike McDaniel was every bit as cringeworthy as we've see Glen Suitor do on TSN's CFL broadcasts for years.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

C'mon, tonight Kirk Herbstreit was making McDaniel out to be something between Jesus Christ & St Francis of Assisi as a Head Coach

missed all of that.... and turned it off when I saw them carrying him off on a stretcher.

I agree, that American sports media makes Suitor seem kindergarten level of b.s.

Think I am on a break from the NFL, treatment of Tua over the last two games. too horrible.

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

Think I am on a break from the NFL, treatment of Tua over the last two games. too horrible.

I took a break and just didn't bother going back. I have not watched the NFL in over 5 years

Life is actually better with out it, and the CFL season is just that much more to look forward to

13 hours ago, Mark F said:

did people follow the horrible Tua story?  I saw him wobbling around last week.-sore back my ass.  sent him back in.

and before tonight's game people were saying it was wrong to let him play.  now..... real trouble for him. poor guy. badly mislead, and mistreated.

complete disgrace.

Gotta thrill the beer-swilling fans whose beer purchases support the advertisements that make all this possible. I stopped watching the NFL decades ago after the Darryl Stingley incident. This all too often a blood sport/

Edited by Tracker

4 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I took a break and just didn't bother going back. I have not watched the NFL in over 5 years

Life is actually better with out it, and the CFL season is just that much more to look forward to

Sports major leagues have all grown to the popularity that they can create their own whirlwind of hype and chattering bullshit which swirls around them from sunup to sunset and is as vapid as a dust storm.  I love the game of hockey but hate the world of bullshit the NHL has built around itself over the last 20 years, so much so that I rarely watch any televised games other than the playoffs.  I stopped watching NFL football in the early 80's for the same reason, I'm interested in the game but none of the bullshit.

20 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Sports major leagues have all grown to the popularity that they can create their own whirlwind of hype and chattering bullshit which swirls around them from sunup to sunset and is as vapid as a dust storm.  I love the game of hockey but hate the world of bullshit the NHL has built around itself over the last 20 years, so much so that I rarely watch any televised games other than the playoffs.  I stopped watching NFL football in the early 80's for the same reason, I'm interested in the game but none of the bullshit.

Absolutely.  Now that the athletes are even fussy about where they earn their fat pay cheques, I am simply no longer interested