Random News Items

Rich

1 minute ago, bustamente said:

Have to say I have never given Tim Horton's a dime, then again I don't drink coffee or tea and not much of a donut fan plus their sandwiches and soups are not appealing to me.

Having said that, you may now need to flee the country.

1 hour ago, bustamente said:

Have to say I have never given Tim Horton's a dime, then again I don't drink coffee or tea and not much of a donut fan plus their sandwiches and soups are not appealing to me.

You are not missing anything at all.   The food is at this point below microwave dinner level quality.   Absolute garbage. 

2 hours ago, WildPath said:

I've had Tim Horton's food before and can't believe they are still in operation. Not sure if people realize there are other options out there or if 'bland' is a distinct taste profile.

Convenience and people being loyal... same reason why McDonalds still gets any sort of business.  

• 2 weeks later...

Nonconsensual Condom Removal Can Now Be Prosecuted As Sex Assault In Canada

“A complainant who consents to sex on the condition that their partner wear a condom does not consent to sex without" one, Canada's Supreme Court ruled.

Canada’s top court has ruled that removing a condom during sex without consent can now be prosecuted as sexual assault.  The Supreme Court of Canada ruled Friday that “stealthing” — pretending to use a condom, or secretly removing it before sex without a partner’s consent — can violate the legal definition of consensual sex.

“Sex with and without a condom are fundamentally and qualitatively distinct forms of physical touching,” Justice Sheilah Martin wrote in the majority decision.

“A complainant who consents to sex on the condition that their partner wear a condom does not consent to sex without a condom.” There is “no agreement to the physical act of intercourse without a condom,” she added.

Women’s rights advocates hailed the decision. Pam Hrick, executive director of Women’s Legal Education and Action Fund, called the ruling “foundational to the right to sexual autonomy and equality.”

It was a dramatic contrast to the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision last month to scuttle Roe v. Wade, dropping decades of protection for women’s right to an abortion. “Stealthing” becomes even more ominous for women in America now where a case of accidental pregnancy could become a lifelong mandatory commitment to a child.

A Maryland auction house has sold a wristwatch that once belonged to Adolf Hitler for $1.1 million. https://nbcnews.to/3SxP3VR

A woman with an open bottle of Jack Daniel’s whiskey in a bag was arrested for driving a golf cart on Florida’s busiest interstate while drunk, according to an arrest report. https://nbcnews.to/3OZQLfT

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

recall

DeWALT 12-inch Sliding Compound Miter Saws

Hazard:

The miter saw’s rear safety guard can break or detach, posing an injury hazard due to projectiles that can strike the user and bystanders and a laceration hazard to the user who could come into direct contact with the saw blade.  

Remedy:

Repair

Recall Date:

August 04, 2022

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cra-uncashed-cheques-1.6544979

Canada's tax agency says nearly 9 million Canadians are owed some sort of government cash, and it's going to send out reminders starting this month to tens of thousands of people to let them know.

The Canada Revenue Agency said Monday that it has roughly $1.4 billion worth of uncashed cheques on its books, some of which has been owed as far back as 1998. As of May, 8.9 million Canadians had some sort of uncashed cheque attached to their name. The average amount owed is $158, the tax agency said.