Random News Items

Rich

"But when you end up with a new Rome and it’s hyper dominated by people of one race and one gender, many of whom are disproportionately socially unintelligent, running the platforms through which most human sociality now occurs — democratic discourse, family community, so on and so forth — we all start to live in a world created by people who are just quite limited. They are smart at the thing they’re smart at and they’ve become in charge of a lot of how the world works."

https://techcrunch.com/2020/09/24/writer-anand-giridharadas-on-techs-billionaires-are-they-even-on-the-same-team-as-us/

13 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Looks like we will be getting a nice rebate cheque soon...   

So...again, tell me why socialized auto insurance is bad?

Good question. I'm in favour of it. 

However, when I lived in Ontario and with my flawless driving record, i paid a lot less than what I do here. 

But, if you're young, you get dinged. My preference is our system where young drivers can afford insurance and develop their skills behind the wheel. 

I knew people in Ontario that barely drove until they 23 to 25 and were god awful at it. No experience. 

Just now, iHeart said:

Time does not stand still. It feels odd that it's closing but it really, really needed to. 

I hope that they can preserve that beautiful building. I was part of an exploratory group that looked at converting the building (upper floors) into a new venture. It would have been really neat but would have cost too much and I don't think the investors (tax paying public) would have been too keen. 

I really hate that it had to come to this, hopefully they won't close locations because well who else will sell Team Canada Gloves before a Winter Olympics. I was last at that place on December 8th of last year, I was with my mother we were seeing some pretty lights in the basement, and by the time I got home I was getting ready to watch the jets game and I learned that Caroll Spinney had passed

55 minutes ago, iHeart said:

I really hate that it had to come to this, hopefully they won't close locations because well who else will sell Team Canada Gloves before a Winter Olympics. I was last at that place on December 8th of last year, I was with my mother we were seeing some pretty lights in the basement, and by the time I got home I was getting ready to watch the jets game and I learned that Caroll Spinney had passed

Someone else will bid on and sell Olympic gear if the Bay can no longer operate.